Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#1001 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kamoodle5
Did he adopt a lot of babies or did he get abducted several times?
Let's just say his oh so tragic backstory resulted in meeting a few different women.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1002 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 5:17 AM
Tried to use the dresser that looks like stairs as stairs -.-
Inventor
#1003 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FoxvilleLuxe
Let's just say his oh so tragic backstory resulted in meeting a few different women.

Oh, he's quite the lady's man then. Must've been over a few drinks, too.
Mad Poster
#1004 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:31 AM
Here's a good one. I don't have very many good pictures of it, but behold one of the first houses I built, aka "what the HELL":

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#1005 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 6:05 PM
I decided to just play Ajay Loner when I started. He married Bella Goth and had a son, Cameron, who nearly got taken by the social worker because I didn't know about homework (and boy was that kid good at hiding it - it took me ages to find it even after the warning, and they only had a small house!). When Cameron's teen daughter, Elizabeth, met Johnny Smith, I started to play his family, too. Elizabeth flirted and Johnny got mad about it, which is when I realized he was going steady with Ophelia. I finally married Elizabeth to Buzz Grunt, giving him a young second family, but I didn't know how Jealousy worked and I could not figure out why Ophelia (by then married to Johnny, with six kids) kept randomly running into Elizabeth's house and slapping her around.

I didn't realize that when you tell a Sim to water one flowerbed, they water all that need it, so I was clicking on each bed and wondering why my Sim kept watering the flowers eight or ten times in a row.

Of course, I also did all the things you're not supposed to, like deleting tombstones, deleting Sims from the family bin, and moving Sims between neighbourhoods -- though, touch wood, I've never actually had a problem as a result of that. I suppose it's possible the corruption was slow and I started over with a fresh install on a new computer before it really began to take effect.
Mad Poster
#1006 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Here's a good one. I don't have very many good pictures of it, but behold one of the first houses I built, aka "what the HELL":

It beats my ugly square boxes with pointy roofs.
Mad Poster
#1007 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 11:02 AM
@ihatemandatoryregister , I'm sure there must be houses like that somewhere in the world. It took me quite a while to discover the RoofSlopeAngle cheat, but until I did discover it, I avoided tall roofs like that by keeping my buildings fairly small.

Actually the first lot I built is still in use, though it has had a couple of makeovers. It's the Veronaville Swim Centre. It's a large 4x4 lot and the pool itself takes up most of it. When it first opened it was little more than a huge swimming pool in a field. There was a half-built and quite unusable toilet block on one side, and an equally unusable car park beside it. The main entrance was supposed to be through the car park, but nobody used it because it was on a road that went up the side of the lot, rather than the road at the front. I only had a car park at all because all the Maxis lots seemed to have them -- my Sims don't have cars (and neither do I!). In its original state my swimming pool wasn't very popular. I sent Garry Mackay there in the hope that he would meet Gloria (he was quite literally made for her!) but the only one there was townie Trista Shaw and she wouldn't talk to him (because she was too busy swimming). Soon after I sent Andrew to try to lose weight; I had been giving him three good meals a day whether he needed them or not. Andrew wasn't there for socializing (again there was one other Sim there); he was there for serious swimming. He successfully lost weight and regained his normal shape, but then he needed the toilet, and the toilet block was still incomplete (because I knew so little about building). There were no toilets inside, no wall coverings, no roof and no steps to get in. He tried to take a taxi to Stratford Strip to use the toilet there but couldn't hold it in till the taxi arrived. Being a Virgo, he immediately whipped out a mop and cleaned up the puddle on the pavement (sidewalk). But he'll never let me forget my incompetence for sending him to a place without a working toilet!

After that I gave the Swim Centre its first makeover. I finished the toilet block. I opened Stratford Strip in build mode to see how Maxis had done it, and copied what I saw there: proper male and female toilets, with the proper doors and stalls, urinals and hand-basins. I even put mirrors in the corridor so Sims could comb their hair after swimming. I worked out how to use connecting stairs to let Sims get up to foundation level. I also added a roof and finished the walls in Veronaville mock Tudor style. I also added a second building in the same style containing facilities for food preparation. This was all in my first month of playing -- I have a picture of Julian making espresso in that building with Andrew looking on -- it was the boys' first outing together. I must have got something right by then because both of those buildings are still in use. The toilet block is almost unchanged. A little later (but still in my early game) the food preparation building was converted into the kitchen for the outdoor poolside restaurant. Eventually I removed the fridges to end the spectacle of Sims walking along the side of the swimming pool carrying pans of spaghetti!

But enough of my early building work. I'm fascinated by that house of yours, ihatemandatoryregister. For an early attempt at building it's certainly ambitious. I can't help thinking that there must be some house like it somewhere in the world. Aside from the huge roofs, what strikes me most is the apparent absence of any windows on the outside of the building. Is it fortified or something? It looks as if it was built to withstand a siege. I think it must belong to a mafia family somewhere in Italy. A pleasant place to relax in that inner courtyard, but totally uninviting and off-putting on the outside. They clearly don't want uninvited visitors. That narrow passageway between the buildings intrigues me. I think it must be their escape route. Of course somebody might try to sneak in that way, but they probably have a couple of machine guns trained on the gap!

I'd love to know what sort of family really lived in that house. Please tell us about them.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#1008 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 11:48 AM
You should have cars with Nightlife. Unless you meant you don't allow them to have cars and then you've ruined my image of Consort Capp with a black limousine. :P
Mad Poster
#1009 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 12:30 PM
Until his last promotion Consort always got a black stretch limo (with a chauffeur) for his carpool. . .

but now he gets a helicopter!

Personally I have disliked cars ever since I was about 10 and could see the damage they were doing to public transport. So I just don't get them for my Sims. One or two have bicycles by mickyss.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#1010 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 8:26 PM
@AndrewGloria - was a terrible, ambitious attempt at a mansion. There's no exterior windows because I forgot to add them. Not sure about the gap. It took Sims about two days to get from one end to the other.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#1011 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 1:35 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 28th Sep 2016 at 8:54 AM. Reason: That's what I meant to write!
I still think that house is just so eccentric, you really could make a story out of it. (All the best Sims are more than a bit eccentric.) If not a Mafia family then perhaps a millionaire recluse loving living there all alone, or, better, with just one companion, perhaps an unfortunate child, who has to act as his/her only contact with the outside world. Perhaps a bit like Miss Havisham and Estella (in Charles Dickens's Great Expectations).

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Inventor
#1012 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
@AndrewGloria - was a terrible, ambitious attempt at a mansion. There's no exterior windows because I forgot to add them. Not sure about the gap. It took Sims about two days to get from one end to the other.

That could've worked for the asylum challenge. Give those insane Sims all the seclusion and torment to make it work out.

I have another noobie story to share. There were rare occasions which I'd let Andrea woohoo on the couch with one of her lovers in a community lot (sometimes it wasn't a couch-couch), and her other lover shows up from a portal seconds later. Envy was not an issue whatsoever because I always have it turned off with ACR, but rather it's the humiliation of this second lover entering the same room only to watch the sexing occur. Once, William did this to find both Andrea and Frank in the nude as they were making out. The instant he freaked out, that escalated my embarrassment enough to quit the lot prematurely and giggle like a hyper schoolgirl for the ensuing five minutes.
Lab Assistant
#1013 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 9:51 PM
Oh my i just remembered that time I read about loading times and renaming files where I went crazy and changed all my file names to "x" and let my pc add numbers to differentiate files from each other, where then i used bulk renamer utility to remove all "(", ")" and space bars.
It was all pretty good until some files stopped working properly and i had to re-download. I know about browsing files in simpe, but with 14gb of cc at that time... how was i supposed to find it?
I was like 11. Let me be. xD i still laugh when thinking about it lmao
Lab Assistant
#1014 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 10:26 PM Last edited by Shadow214 : 22nd Nov 2016 at 4:37 PM.
I remember when I finally got my first werewolf sim,I got her to go a community lot then turn every sim there into werewolves.
Lab Assistant
#1015 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 6:45 PM
As a kid and new to the game, all my sims died cause I didn't really know how to care them xD.

I remember carelessly spending all the money on a sofa store in the residential lot, lol. At that time, I now remember I had accidently put my kitchen fridge on sale and I didn't knew how to tag and untag objects for sale and I didn't known what the done tool was actually meant for. Due to that, all my sims died and were taken by a social worker from starvation xD
Mad Poster
#1016 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 9:40 AM
When Hans Moltke, my first toddler (now a child) was little, his parents kept his potty permanently in their bedroom. So that, even after he had been potty-trained, they still had to carry him up the stairs to let him use it. And then carry him down again. (Then they probably went back upstairs to empty it!)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Test Subject
#1017 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 3:09 AM
I know this thread is about TS2, but my funniest disaster came with the original Sims. I created the Doobie family, consisting of a mother and father, a daughter and a son, all with weird, random names. The ones I remember are the mother, Lutu, and the father, Speng. I had a lot of trouble keeping up with all of their needs, and by the end of the first Sim day, the two children had peed themselves and fallen asleep out of exhaustion on the sidewalk!

Lutu and Speng were totally mismatched and never fell in love, so he started dating the neighbor's wife. Lutu walked in on them once in the vibrating bed and didn't even care. The daughter was never in a good enough mood to do her homework and ended up being carted off to military school. Speng managed to bond with his boy by painting next to him on two easels, side by side. The boy was the only somewhat functional person in the household. He got A's in school and used to clean up after everyone (except for one random piece of trash that got stuck on the kitchen floor and could never be cleaned up).

I also knew nothing about building and used to just build another room on the sprawling, one-floor house whenever they needed more space.

Does anyone remember there being an earlier version of The Sims and then a new, improved version of the original game? I played both, and I remember when I imported the Doobie family into the new, improved version, they didn't have any interests like everyone in the rest of the neighborhood and so had trouble starting conversations. I had to buy them magazines in order to build up their interests.

I later recreated them in TS2 as two single-parent families. Lutu became Lutana Martin, a Fortune Sim raising the boy, a Knowledge Sim. Speng Doobie became Armand Doubet, a Romance Sim with a daughter who was also Romance Sim. I have been playing them in different neighborhoods, but I kind of wish now that I'd put them in the same neighborhood to see what they would do if they ever ran into each other!
Field Researcher
#1018 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 4:42 PM
In my first custom 'hood, I would create a family and play them as long as I was interested before moving on to the next, so it was a long time before I got round to playing my first family for a second rotation. Meanwhile, I quickly found out that if a Sim used the telescope in daytime, they would be attacked by an angry Sim who thought they were spying. I couldn't understand why this was always Henry, the father of my first made family. After all, he was a very laid back Sim with 10 nice points!

When I finally got back to the Horui household, I found I had left it on pause, with the house walls up. I immediately spotted something very unusual through an upstairs window and zoomed in for a closer look. I found poor Henry inside the bathroom. Quite without realising it, I had managed to pause the game just after he stepped out the shower, but before he spun into his clothes. The censor blur covered his front area, but his buttocks were showing and that is what I had spotted through the window!

Now I understood (I thought!). Poor Henry's bum had been on display to any Sim who cared to turn the telescope that way. No wonder he was so upset! (I also thought well done EAxis, for thinking such situations might arise and coding a response into the game). After that, for quite a while I always made sure no Sims were using the bathroom or otherwise in a compromising position when I exited the lot. Talking on the phone was fine, of course.
Lab Assistant
#1019 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 9:54 PM Last edited by Scklsy : 17th Jan 2018 at 4:30 AM.
I posted this in a few Sims groups on Facebook but thought I would share it here too..
A long time ago when I was very young I was playing Sims 2 and made two young women for my new family. I went into the family tree editor as the final step and saw the option "spouse" now I wasn't sure what this word meant (I was young) so I thought, for the heck of it why not! Made my female sims spouses and moved them into a house.
Well immediately after moving in one went over to the other and kissed her and it shocked me so much because I didn't know people could be gay at the time
And that, is how I discovered the concept of homosexuality.
Test Subject
#1020 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:35 PM Last edited by Lulu_Ulf : 15th Mar 2017 at 2:36 PM. Reason: missing letters
Ahh the unknowing that you can not unplug a TV and fix it with a screwdriver... Shocking experience. lol
Mad Poster
#1021 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lulu_Ulf
Ahh the unknowing that you can not unplug a TV and fix it with a screwdriver... Shocking experience. lol

And why can you not fix a broken sink by yelling a lot and hitting it with a wrench (I have a really violent sim repairwoman)? XD
Inventor
#1022 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
And why can you not fix a broken sink by yelling a lot and hitting it with a wrench (I have a really violent sim repairwoman)? XD

I'm always curious which one of my sims will 'express themselves the most' when I send them to repair something after they broke it and about to walk away.
Field Researcher
#1023 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shantipoet
Does anyone remember there being an earlier version of The Sims and then a new, improved version of the original game? I played both, and I remember when I imported the Doobie family into the new, improved version, they didn't have any interests like everyone in the rest of the neighborhood and so had trouble starting conversations. I had to buy them magazines in order to build up their interests.
I was young but yes I remember the original Sims 1! 1 negihborhood, 10 lots total, 2 Sims could fall in love and have a baby on the same day since there was no long-term meter. We had a few expansions but going from them to Ultimate Collection was like playing a different game.

Anyway, something else I uesd to do when I was new to Sims 2 and just discovered Rodney's Death Creator was go around using it with Sims I didn't like regardless of who it was. That actually got old fast, and several of my playable families were stuck in terms of their careers until they made a lot of new family friends.
Scholar
#1024 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

I told a computer off at work for not starting, and it started working straight afterwards (presumably not because it was told off, unless work installed some artificial intelligence I don't know about). I almost told my colleagues that I'd learned the technique off the Sims 2...
Lab Assistant
#1025 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 10:05 PM
First house I ever played was Olive Specter in Strangetown. I remember I invited the headmaster over for Ophelia, but I had no idea what to do and he gave me a terrible score. I remember thinking Olive was evil, and that she had killed all the people who are buried. One day, I decided Olive needed a swimming pool. I DELETED every single grave at her house, and every grave from that point on. I was a very naive simmer back then. But, I guess ignorance is bliss cuz I played that hood for about a year no problem until my favorite sim, Beau, got moved into another house and completely vanished in thin air. From that day on, I have always made a Beau in my game as a tribute to him.
Page 41 of 43