Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 4:43 AM
Default The Start
This thread is ment for what band/singer/duo got you hooked on their own music or a new genre.

I'll start with mine.
Mayday Parade
"Three Cheers for Five Years"
On YouTube I saw 3 guys sitting on a couch and I thought they were going to make fun of something, but it turned out to be a really good song.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 7:12 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Under the Bridge

I saw that video on the tv at a friend's birthday party back when I was in grade school...
Not only did I fall in love with Anthony Kiedis' slow mo topless run.. but their music, as well.
Up until then I had had no control of the radio and had no idea that other stations existed other than the ones my parents played. I couldn't have been bothered until that clip. It opened up the whole world of music for me.

// sun is in the sky oh why, oh why would I wanna be anywhere else //
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 9:30 AM
Sirenia - The Thirteenth Floor
The Path to Decay

My dad (yes, my dad) actually got me hooked on heaps of music like Placebo.

I can pull off this music too because I have the accent!

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 2:11 AM
There are quite a few genres that I've gotten hooked to throughout the years.

In high school, I was really into the whole indie chick alternative folk singer thing. Tori Amos got me started into that, and I started getting really into PJ Harvey and Ani Difranco from there.

More recently, I've been getting really into world music. I'd say the artist that broke me into that was Marisa Monte. The first song I heard of hers was Nao Va Embora, but here's another one of my favorites that she sings, Infinito Particular:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSMH7nXecI
I think I got into her music because her voice is so beautiful, and I just got sick of all the normal music because it started to sound the same to me. At least with world music, they tend to mix modern pop with cultural styles. In Marisa Monte's case, it's pop + samba. Plus, it's harder for me to get sick of the lyrics because I never know if they're stupid or not So yeah, I've got a fairly decent library of world music now.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog