Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 3:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Island Paradise
An IP lot from Isla Paradiso has borked my game
Recently re-started playing Sims 3. I'm using Queen Palms Island, an empty custom world which I'm setting up. There are NO SIMS. Having a ball, game working better than I remembered.

Then...

I installed IP, and added the new items to several lots. No problems. Until... I copied a lot from Isla Paradiso, and began tweaking it. I could have done without it, the rest of the world is ready to play.

All of a sudden, I'm getting Code 12 errors. I cannot bulldoze the lot. I CAN load the lot, cannot save in Edit Town - Code 12 - or crash to desktop. If I load the lot, and begin clearing the lot manually, CTD when I delete an IP item.

CLA says 'custom content." There is 1 custom item -maybe- an archway, on the lot. So, I removed the Mods folder to the desktop, and loaded the save, vanilla game. Same thing. Only CLA says "unknown." WTH is that?

1. I've gone thru Packages, and removed EVERYTHING installed just before this Code12/CTD bit started.
2. I've made the recommended DEP settings changes.
3. I cannot save progress with this IP wart in the world.

What a rigamarole I now remember TS3 to be.

So the question: Is the world shot, or is there a way to get rid of this IP lot, without having to start completely over?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 2:16 AM
Thanks for your reply.

The lot is called Paradise Home, I think...it one of only two that are built on piers, this one with three structures and a center lower deck. As far as changes made, I emptied the content, and redid textures and windows. I did successfully save the tweaked version - once. CTD if I tried to save it again after doing further work, or Error 12. There wasn't any CC in either saved version, and that's what mystifies. It's not a biggie, since I can build it from scratch. It irks that there's a bum lot in the world, and an EA lot, at that. My machine is more than able to handle the game, so the memory issue is moot.

As far as the Nraas mod goes, there aren't any sims, so I've never gone into live mode with this world to have used any of those mods, most of which I have.

Queen Palm Island is a Midnight Sun Challenge world, with room for fewer than a dozen lots, all of which are saved in the library - so I'll either start over, or plunk a sim in, go live, and try the Nraas reset.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 5:10 PM
To update, I've re-created the world in question. It's a small world, with fewer than a dozen lots.

So, I was building a lot from scratch, had saved multiple times with no problems. Then WHAM I get an error 12 on a Save As... No changes had been made to the game - no CC added or deleted.
- Redid the DEP settings
- Increased the page file RAM limit
- Disabled DEP altogether
- Set the TS3W executable to run as Administrator

I am running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 32G of RAM. There is no way it's a PC memory issue. It's the game. Period.

The fact of the matter is, NOBODY KNOWS WHY ERROR 12 OCCURS, INCLUDING EA. And they have no intention of a permanent fix, which is probably not a bad thing. They'd only make it worse, considering the game architecture, and their absolute ineptitude in "patching" things they did sloppily to begin with. I had quit playing The Sims 3 before for this very reason, and it appears it may be again.

People who claimed to have solved it have no idea why it stops, or why they get Error 12 again, at some innocuous point. It's a poorly constructed game memory usage-wise, and that's all there is to it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 5:43 PM
To illustrate the earlier post today, I've just run the game again, but first

- Cleared all caches with the Dashboard. There are no conflicts of any kind.
- Defragged the C: drive
- Cleaned the registry
- Optimized the PC memory
- Cleaned the machine with CCleaner
- Then ran the executable as Administrator

No CC was added, or deleted. It's an empty world, no sims, multiple lots already placed and tweaked. The current lot being built has been saved 8 or 10 times.
Error 12 again.
Just like the time I completely removed the Mods folder, to see if a vanilla game would run.

Even when you do everything possible to make the game environment optimum to run, it can/will not.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 6:10 PM
Does it happen in other worlds, too, or only in this one?
When you say, you recreated the world, do you mean in CAW or as a savegame to an existing world?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 10:40 PM Last edited by igazor : 12th Aug 2018 at 11:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mlite9
I am running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 32G of RAM. There is no way it's a PC memory issue. It's the game. Period.

The fact of the matter is, NOBODY KNOWS WHY ERROR 12 OCCURS, INCLUDING EA. And they have no intention of a permanent fix, which is probably not a bad thing. They'd only make it worse, considering the game architecture, and their absolute ineptitude in "patching" things they did sloppily to begin with. I had quit playing The Sims 3 before for this very reason, and it appears it may be again.

People who claimed to have solved it have no idea why it stops, or why they get Error 12 again, at some innocuous point. It's a poorly constructed game memory usage-wise, and that's all there is to it.

Error 12 is an out of usable resources condition. The key word being usable. You seem to be skipping over the part where TS3 and CAW are 32-bit applications only although running in a 64-bit environment and still cannot possibly use more than ~3.7 GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed. What the rest of us in the real world outside of EA call virtual memory won't help much because the game becomes unstable when it pages excessively.

That's why you keep getting asked about actual RAM usage leading up to the error. Not because it is thought that you don't have enough or your system is lacking, but that the program is for whatever reason trying to grab more of something (might be RAM, might be something else) than it can really use and they're trying to help you rule things out.
Instructor
#9 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 12:19 AM
Well problem number one that I can see is you downloaded and installed the world, started editing it and THEN installed Island Paradise. She does state that the world requires IP, so you may have borked the world from the get go by installing it and loading it prior to installing IP. Does the world run ina vanilla game? Do the EA worlds run in a vanilla game? Have you tried slowly adding in mods and running test games between? Then adding CC and testing it? When I have had to reinstall that is what I do, add mods (NRass first) and test the game for a bit to make sure they are working, then other mods I "need". Then the CC. It also doesn't hurt to let the NRaas mods kick in but running the game for a moment before you start building and tweaking lots, they don't run on start up the y need a minute to kick in.

Another problem seems to be that you aren't reading what people are saying about the game, it's memory use and actually trying the suggestions so the problem can be narrowed down, you are instead becoming slightly confrontational. Error 12 is a known error and we know what causes it but there are only so many things that fix the problem as yes the games infrastructure isn't the best, they could have done a lot better. There are things we have to do to make our games work. Should we have to not really but we do. Take a deep breath, read the suggestions and try what they are suggesting. If you aren't willing to try the things mentioned to narrow down the problem then it won't be fixed.