Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 6:02 PM
Default Does anyone here like Opera?
Alright, I know. I probably would be the last person that anyone expected to like Opera. But I don't like it. I love it. The power behind the singing, is just utterly amazing. Sounds almost an angel (In my ears) as they sing. Their voice is beautiful, and just...Powerful. I do have a few favorite opera singers:

Nana Mouskouri

Maria Callas

Luciano Pavarotti

And there is more. But I just love their singing.

Soooooooo is there any other people like opera? Hmm hmm hmm :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 8:48 PM
well give me a second to grab my jaw from the floor first LOL (she like opera O_O gawk in shock)
Sorry...couldn't help it
Well...I love contretenor voice...how about that ? I believe they go in opera category..but I have no name for you beside hum....Try Lisa Gerrard (from Dead Can Dance) . That's a contretenor voice .
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 1:10 AM
I like/love opera - I wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan though. No Met season tickets, etc. Maybe if I could afford to though, I'd go crazy. My favorite operas are probably the Verdi and Puccini ones where the good vulnerable person gets the shaft and you can treat yourself to a good cry and ponder the unfairness of life. I also love The Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, Rusalka, etc. Luciano Pavarotti and Franco Corelli are my favorite tenor voices. Sopranos: Joan Sutherland, Beverly Sills, Kiri Te Kanawa, Leontyne Price, probably others I can't remember at the moment.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 1:15 AM
It's my favorite internet browser.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 3:23 AM
ok , well I do now this guy : Klaus Nomi . (I asked my roomate and she say he is Opera singer) .

One of the best Song he made Here

And of course we can't forget the amazing Flower Duet

You can listen to them here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qx2lMaMsl8

Lisa Gerrard (The Host of Seraphim) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vuylajcwx8

Well there are others music outta there lol and I love them all XD

But one of my favorite (Don't mock) is this one:

But my heart only beat mostly for soundtrack music . Music used in games (rpg mostly) .

Like here I used a soundtrack from an RPG Game (Neverwinter Night) and made it in a video
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 3:27 AM
I like opera, though I haven't taken the time to properly explore the genre, so I'm only familiar with a little. A couple of pieces that I have favorited on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...KxL4LOqc#t=129s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSsbjjRSxKg
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
I like opera, though I haven't taken the time to properly explore the genre, so I'm only familiar with a little. A couple of pieces that I have favorited on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...KxL4LOqc#t=129s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSsbjjRSxKg

LOL the 2nd video have french subtitle , THANK (get popcorn and listen) .
Inventor
#8 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 6:17 AM
I like opera, though I haven't taken the time to properly explore the genre, so I'm only familiar with a little.

Ditto, I like it too, even though I haven't gotten to explore it much, and I don't really understand all of the badmouthing it gets, even if you don't personally like a musical genre or artist, I feel that you have to still give them at least a little bit of props if the singer has awesome pipes, or the music has good composition, or has tried to develop an interesting idea (even if you don't feel that it fully meshed), etc. But, then again, I'm kind of a "live and let live" person when it comes to other people's tastes, especially in music (the only kind I've found myself unable to stand as a genre is country, and even then, I won't bad-mouth it), a type of attitude which seems to be disappearing, unfortunately.

One of the few pieces that I know I really like (and can name) would be (as over-done as it probably seems to people who actually know about opera) the famous "Habanera" from Bizet's 'Carmen'

I also find myself liking songs where the vocals seem to have an "operatic flavoring"
Ex., Within Temptation's "Angels," and Nightwish's "Nemo".

Bodhie -- I wouldn't laugh at the one you posted ("Ordo virtutum"), I really liked it, though I think that it counts more as a Gregorian chant than as Opera. Still a very nice, haunting piece of music either way.

The Flower Duet! I've heard that so many times, but I wasn't sure what it was called! I've also heard it sampled in songs many times as well, the one in the forefront of my mind being David Usher's "Black, Black Heart".

Klaus Nomi, when I saw this vid in the related videos bar, I knew that I'd seen him from somewhere! Unfortunately, that somewhere was on a Venture Brothers episode. I'm sorry.

Oaktree -- Wow, Damrau was really into that performance. Completely fierce! Brava to her.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 5:19 PM Last edited by Levera : 15th Mar 2012 at 5:33 PM.
I can't remember what got me into Opera. I think honestly, it was that one huge and popular song

Ave Maria

And then...I just fell in love with it. I would love to see a live Opera. I would LOVE to see Carmen, live. I am just...I love Opera I truly do

Maria Callas: Ave Maria

I absolutely love her voice. Every time I listen...I get chills down my spine

Nana Mouskouri--Serenade by Schubert

FYI yes, this song, is in the Sims 2 on the Classical station. But Nana's Voice ah, is amazing!

Or how about Inva Mula, her voice is just beautiful

Inva Mula

@Oaktree: I love Diana Damrau. She is freaking amazing :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 6:03 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 16th Mar 2012 at 3:06 AM.
This is another Ave Maria - one of my favorite opera scenes. (Sound isn't the best.)She knows she's going to die soon and wants to get right with God. Ave Maria - Otello
And then something really bad happens.

Franco Corelli - 'Non piangere, Liu' Turandot
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 6:55 PM
@anothereyjana: I also like music where the vocals have an operatic quality. Pat Benatar is my favorite female vocalist, for instance, and she had opera training. Which I'm quite envious of. I did eight years of choir, and I'd say that I have the vocal qualities that are often found in opera, but I don't have the lung capacity or the all-around power. If I had the time, I might try to train myself, but it took me years just to get where I am now, and I just can't devote that kind of time right now.

Oh, also, obligatory linking to Diva Dance from The Fifth Element. There is little to no digital alteration of her voice. She is amazingly talented.

Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
Oaktree -- Wow, Damrau was really into that performance. Completely fierce! Brava to her.

Quote: Originally posted by Levera
@Oaktree: I love Diana Damrau. She is freaking amazing :D

Yeah, I think she does an amazing job with that piece. She's ruined me for other singers on that piece. I've heard other recordings and none of them convey the power or the emotion that she does.
Inventor
#12 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:18 PM
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:29 PM
@anothereyjana: I also like music where the vocals have an operatic quality. Pat Benatar is my favorite female vocalist, for instance, and she had opera training. Which I'm quite envious of. I did eight years of choir, and I'd say that I have the vocal qualities that are often found in opera, but I don't have the lung capacity or the all-around power. If I had the time, I might try to train myself, but it took me years just to get where I am now, and I just can't devote that kind of time right now.

Oh, also, obligatory linking to Diva Dance from The Fifth Element. There is little to no digital alteration of her voice. She is amazingly talented.

Yeah, I think she does an amazing job with that piece. She's ruined me for other singers on that piece. I've heard other recordings and none of them convey the power or the emotion that she does.

Inva Mula sang the Diva Dance ^.^ She has an amazing voice, I ended up listening to more of her music. Just simply amazing And I loved Diva Dance from the Fifth Element.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
Borodin, Prince Igor...

Love that aria from Prince Igor - I had never heard the George London version before - beautiful.
And the Polovtsian Dances are heavenly music.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:39 AM
How about this Ave Maria
It's from: Le Bossu de Notre Dame .
It's the only one I know (well Celine Dion did one but I like this one better) .
it's in french but has English Subtitles

I'm gonna check all yours links , love to know new stuff

- Shaar: I only have *ONE*god ! and it's ME! -
- My mind is rpg , My heart is Music and My gender is Art -
Inventor
#16 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:48 AM
Levera -- I noticed this in the bar when I clicked the "like" button. I've wanted to see "Madame Butterfly" for awhile, so it was nice to hear this. Little story, I thought that I had recorded it once, but it turns out that "M. Butterfly" staring Jeremy Irons is not actually just someone's take on the opera set to film, like I thought. It is still a good movie, and is sort-of inspired by the opera, and definitely references/pays slight homage to it, while also being slightly based on a true story. Also, the "M" doesn't technically stand for "Madame," nor does the "M. Butterfly" end up being who you think it's going to be; you'll understand when you see the ending.

I saw this one in the related vids tab, and I really liked it. It sounds like Mouskouri has sort of an "easy-going" voice for an opera singer, and though you can tell that she can put some real power behind her voice if she wanted to, she seems to like to keep it soft and gentle. I've noticed that there are certain tones and qualities in operatic voices that seem to "scare off" some people (never bothered me, though), that Mouskouri seems to shy slightly away from, so she might be a good "introductory" performer to listen to, to help ease people who would otherwise be slightly leery of opera into it.

RoseCity -- That really was a lovely performance of Ave Maria, like you mentioned, you could really feel the sense of vulnerability and impending dread she felt there. I couldn't help but notice something though; was it just me, or maybe the lighting, but did it seem like they, um, "browned up" Placido Domingo a bit? > __>;;

pico22 -- I loved the dance! Such a powerful and dramatic piece of music, and the dancing was very professional, it looked like the actors had had extensive ballet training.

Bodhie -- That's a very beautiful version of Ave Maria. It really seemed to flow in French like that.

About Inva Mula --- She really does have a great range. I had heard that The Diva Dance was actually a mash-up of three different singers; turns out that my first instinct (from when I first heard the song/saw the movie as a teenager) was right, and that it was just a single lady with a hell of a lot of talent. Also, I was not aware that they had an Opera of Faust, though I'm very glad it exists, since the atmosphere of that story just screamed operatic. Now that I know that this is a thing, I very much want to find a performance of it.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 4:58 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 16th Mar 2012 at 6:49 PM.
RoseCity -- That really was a lovely performance of Ave Maria, like you mentioned, you could really feel the sense of vulnerability and impending dread she felt there. I couldn't help but notice something though; was it just me, or maybe the lighting, but did it seem like they, um, "browned up" Placido Domingo a bit? > __>;;

I'm pretty sure singers do their own makeup and it's usually exaggerated to be seen better from the house. He looks like he did use some brownish makeup because Otello is supposed to be a 'moor'. Probably shouldn't have.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:48 PM
Levera -- I noticed this in the bar when I clicked the "like" button. I've wanted to see "Madame Butterfly" for awhile, so it was nice to hear this. Little story, I thought that I had recorded it once, but it turns out that "M. Butterfly" staring Jeremy Irons is not actually just someone's take on the opera set to film, like I thought. It is still a good movie, and is sort-of inspired by the opera, and definitely references/pays slight homage to it, while also being slightly based on a true story. Also, the "M" doesn't technically stand for "Madame," nor does the "M. Butterfly" end up being who you think it's going to be; you'll understand when you see the ending.

I saw this one in the related vids tab, and I really liked it. It sounds like Mouskouri has sort of an "easy-going" voice for an opera singer, and though you can tell that she can put some real power behind her voice if she wanted to, she seems to like to keep it soft and gentle. I've noticed that there are certain tones and qualities in operatic voices that seem to "scare off" some people (never bothered me, though), that Mouskouri seems to shy slightly away from, so she might be a good "introductory" performer to listen to, to help ease people who would otherwise be slightly leery of opera into it.

Maria Callas has such an amazing voice. I just love her vocals, they are so powerful, and in a very moving I love her. But I am soooooooo mad, I am trying to figure out who sings this song from Parasite Eve, because she had an amazing voice. But unfortunately, I can't find who actually sings the song, so believe me...I am rather sad

I love Nana's voice, I do have the song: Serenade by Schubert on my Ipod And this song...The one you posted, is just amazing

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, anothereyjana

Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 8:46 PM
Ella mi fu rapita...Parmi veder le lagrime/Rigoletto

I don't think anyone has sung this as well as L Pavarotti. The Duke is rotten but he gets all the best music in Rigoletto.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 12:23 AM
Quote:
But I am soooooooo mad, I am trying to figure out who sings this song from Parasite Eve, because she had an amazing voice. But unfortunately, I can't find who actually sings the song, so believe me...I am rather sad

ok if you are talking about the same Parasite Eve , and you are thinking of the lady we see at the beginning . (the one that sing Opera , she wearing a red dress then everything goes to hell ?) . If it is the same one we are talking about , then let me make you happy lol

Her name is Yoko Shimomura .

From Wiki:
Quote:
Over the next few years, she composed the soundtrack to several games, including Parasite Eve and Legend of Mana.

I have 3 soundtrack from her : Sotto Voce , consensus ,Sel il mio amore sta vincino (Vocalise) - Eve's Aria

Happy ?
(now if they are not the same , ignore this )

Inventor
#21 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 1:54 AM
Nessun dorma

- Franco Corelli

- Mario del Monaco

- Luciano Pavarotti

People are still discussing who of these three (or some other one) was the best Calaf. Rather pointlessly, I think, but one thing is sure: differences in interpretation are fascinating.

An obligatory warning: as far as these clips are concerned, differences in sound quality are (much too) obvious, Corelli's being the worst.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bodhie
ok if you are talking about the same Parasite Eve , and you are thinking of the lady we see at the beginning . (the one that sing Opera , she wearing a red dress then everything goes to hell ?) . If it is the same one we are talking about , then let me make you happy lol

Her name is Yoko Shimomura .

From Wiki:

I have 3 soundtrack from her : Sotto Voce , consensus ,Sel il mio amore sta vincino (Vocalise) - Eve's Aria

Happy ?
(now if they are not the same , ignore this )

Thank you thank you, thank you, Bodhie ^.^

Has anyone heard of her:

Leontyne Price

She has a freaking amazing voice :D

or her:

Sumi Jo

She has such an amazing voice

Now...I think I have fallen in love with this woman:

Inessa Galante

Her voice is just...Simply...I am so speechless

Scholar
#23 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:22 AM
I used to not really be into opera, but eventually my growing love for classical music led me to it. I love classical instrumentation, but it took me a while to get used to the opera vocal style. I always had the image of an lady singing with way too much vibrato. lol

I really like this one (La Wally), although I do have to say it may be a bit of nostalgia for me. It takes me back six years when my life was very different.

I bought a whole recording of Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. I really like this part of it. I'm a sucker for slow Baroque pieces in minor keys. I also love the sound of Baroque string ensembles playing in unison (like in 3:27 of that recording. OMG!).

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:27 AM
This has to be...The saddest story ever, what this Korean boy tells the panel of judges. But his voice...Whew...All of it made me cry:

Sung-Bong Choi

He has such an amazing voice, and his story was very lifting. Whew...I still have tears in my eyes

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:48 AM
You are welcome , if you ever want those soundtrack from Parasite eve let me know . I can upload them for you .
But thank you too LOL Man , I,m starting to like this Opera thingy!
Hehe I liked sumi JO (that one is going to my favorite) and I'm gonna use Inessa Galante for a project I'm working on YES! so Thanx !

Ok this may sound like a DUH! question . But all of these Ave Maria version that everyone is posting . Is it the same song every one is singin ? or it is different lyric each time ?

Page 1 of 3