Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#51 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:08 PM
So which wall are you trying to delete? I can't understand exactly what you're trying to do from your pictures.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 5:08 PM
All walls apart from the slope.
Test Subject
#53 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 12:32 AM Last edited by Darkotter : 2nd Feb 2011 at 1:09 AM. Reason: Update
I may have missed something in the various guides, but what do you do with the very corner square when you're placing stairs for 2 sides? At the corner, other peopel seemed to have flattened the very corner square to ground level, but when I tried this the edges of the slope are still visible when looking outwards from inside the basement.

EDIT: I found the solution to this problem, I think. Just flatten those tiles to the ground level _before_ putting in the stairs. Worked for me anyway.

However, I do seem to have the problem now that the 'outside' basement courtyard areas are not getting lit as though they are outside, and I'm not sure why at the moment - as far as I can tell from screenshots other people are getting outside lighting in these areas yh?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#54 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 11:11 AM
Darkotter, when you exit edit mode and then re-enter the lot, the game should light the basement areas correctly.

unghie, I'm still having trouble figuring out what you are trying to do, are you trying to make the square in the basement open to the sky? If so then you need to do that with the stair cut-outs, and it wouldn't really be possible to remove the walls.
Test Subject
#55 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 11:36 AM
Thank you very much for the reply Simsample, however regrettably I still have a bit of a problem.

On completely reloading the game, the basement areas are lit correctly. However, every time I go between the basement floor and ground floor (in live mode still) a seemingly random one of the outside/basement areas reverts to basement lighting. This continues until they are all basement lit again. Moving between lots does not seem to switch them back to being 'outside' lit.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#56 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 3:46 PM Last edited by simsample : 6th Feb 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Could you show a picture, Darkotter? I'm not having this happen in the lots I'm building, so maybe yours has some quirk that makes the game 'think' the ground is still there?

Here's an image of a lot I built using this method:

It's a night club and it has a ramp to the car park, thanks to everyone on here!

I know you don't strictly need the ramp, but it always bugged me that the Banzai in Bridgeport had no car access to the multi-storey!
Test Subject
#57 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 4:52 PM
I've managed to work out the problem I think Simsample. I found if I deleted the very corner piece of basement (underneath where I'd flattened the ground), this would get the game to put the section containing that corner as 'outdoor'. I still couldn't get sections between two ramps to become 'outdoor' without messing up any walls, but I just redesigned so that there were no such sections, and everything is working fine and dandy now :P

Thanks again for the help, and the excellent guides.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#58 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 5:04 PM
Well done Darkotter, I'm glad you made it work!
dodgy builder
#59 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 11:53 AM
A hole new world suddenly opens up. Awesome work Simsample. Too bad your pictures are gone from the beginning of the thread.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#60 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
A hole new world suddenly opens up. Awesome work Simsample. Too bad your pictures are gone from the beginning of the thread.

They should be fine, Volvenom- I fixed the links.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 7th Feb 2011 at 5:02 AM
Hey thanks Simsample for this great tutorial. I made a house, well the same house your pic show! I just have a small note on post num. 16, you said that the height i need is exactly 16 steps. So I tried 16 setps, and a followed your tutorial making the slopes but for the final row you said that there would be no need to place a stair to find the level and that it should be made the same level of the ground, but it didn't work for me, i found that working with 12 steps high works fine and that this way the final row does end up the same level as ground level.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#62 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 1:08 AM
Thanks Groosalugg- if you look at my image you'll see that I made four steps down (for the basement level) and then sixteen steps up, so from ground level this is twelve steps up. So we're both in agreement!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#63 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

I feel like this was an unintentional pun...I got a good lol from this

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
dodgy builder
#64 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 12:32 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 10th Feb 2011 at 5:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
I feel like this was an unintentional pun...I got a good lol from this

Yes, that's how I am. I get so exited about something new and then I test it myself. Got myself down to the ground when I realized it would be so much simpler with the old fashioned foundations. I really didn't want sloped basement when I tested it myself. Didn't think it fitted my creation lol. Well, I have tried it.

Here's a link to a video of the house I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_d4w7GnDkI
Test Subject
#65 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Castaras : 12th Feb 2011 at 7:41 PM.
Hi, I've been following through Simsample's tutorial on the first page. I've managed to lower one edge of the basement down to the level required, but when I try to put in the stair which should "Get rid of 4xlength of stairs", it doesn't work. :s I've tried doing this multiple times and this problem keeps reappearing.

Any ideas on what it is that I'm being stupid about? :s

Edit: Worked out what I was doing wrong - I needed to delete the floor tiling plan, as it was screwing with the building.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 13th Feb 2011 at 1:08 AM
This is AMAZING guys!! Thank you so much for putting all your hard work and lots of time and effort into working out how this worked. Because I like to build strange and unusual houses and ordinary houses for me are just boring so this is a lifesaver as I was running out of ideas.

Just a query, do you think this sort of technique would work in Sims 2? It would probably need a bit of tweaking but the basic idea and concept would remain the same right? Do you think it would work?

"In spite of everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-Sherlock Holmes
dodgy builder
#67 Old 14th Feb 2011 at 9:18 PM
Sammiannnz: what's your plan? As I remember Sims2 hasn't got the basement tool. So sloping the ground ... I don't remember anymore.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#68 Old 15th Feb 2011 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sammiannnz
This is AMAZING guys!! Thank you so much for putting all your hard work and lots of time and effort into working out how this worked. Because I like to build strange and unusual houses and ordinary houses for me are just boring so this is a lifesaver as I was running out of ideas.

Just a query, do you think this sort of technique would work in Sims 2? It would probably need a bit of tweaking but the basic idea and concept would remain the same right? Do you think it would work?

Nope, it is much more difficult in TS2 - if you flickl through the tutorials you'll probably find it. V1nd1care figured it out, but someone else made the tutorial (whom I can't remember)

It is possible in TS2, just not by the same means

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 11:55 PM
This is amazing! But... I don't get it T_T !!! I don't know wether it's based on my poor English (even if I can't call a certain sentence I didn't feel of understanding) or something else. I've tried all the tutorials here, but I can't adapt them to my problem. Maybe I'm just to dumb for this, though...

The point I try to come to: I want the red area be a pond, visible through the windows of the inner wall, not affecting the ceiling over the gym. Is it possible with the method you share here or do I try to catch butterflies with a lasso?

dodgy builder
#70 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 1:15 PM
You might be better off making a new thread about this. Have you tried just making a pond there? with the water tool.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#71 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 1:43 PM
CYFire, I don't thik you will be able to do that. On Domangcop's lots and the one I demonstrate on the first page, we have the basement raised up so that it is slightly above the level of the ground:

That way you can trick the game into having the pond visible from the basement, as the pond is still on ground level.

However, on your image, your basement is still below the level of the ground and so the pond will not be visible from there. You could, however, put a nice swimming pool there and have viewing windows on it, as I've done here:

The windows at the back are part of the pool wall, as is the fish tank you can see at the bottom of the image. This will work in a basement or on a higher level, as mine is.

By the way, you need to update your No Mosaic mod- older versions cause the flashes that are visible in your images to remain in build/ but mode.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#72 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 1:36 PM
Yes build a swimmingpool instead ... and then you could try pushing down the walls like we did in Sims2 to make a pond out of the pool?
Test Subject
#73 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 10:40 PM
Ok, that's what I've assumed I'd have to do... unfortunately. But thanks anyway, especially for answering my thread-digging-out.
But then I've got another issue: I'd like to swap the water, which means instead of having a suterran pool with pond around outside, now I'd like to have the pool around and the pond indoor in the basement.
I've seen in WA in France the dungeon (or whatever it's called in the english version) with the cellar garden. So is it possible to delete the bottom of the basement without the basement itself? Or will it be impossible due to the water level flooding the whole basement?
(This, for sure, would be fine in a new thread, but here I've got the picture to show what I mean. I hope so, though...)
Test Subject
#74 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 1:56 AM
Do you have the link?
Simsample just talked a bit about things that made me sleepy

It's just a little difficult...Just a little...But...I need the link!
I need this house...Just that...
dodgy builder
#75 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 10:45 AM
You know CYFire have you tried the foundations tool? But you won't be able to hide the basement underground using foundations. I did see a thread about someone wanting to make a cave with a pond or something, in another thread.
Page 3 of 5