Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 7:18 PM
Default Giving a Beach to Riverview or a River to Sunset Valley?
I decided to mess around with the Lite versions of the SV and RV worlds to see if I could get those world sizes I want, but this time get the river and beach features all in one world that I badly want. And I wanted to stick to as much pre-built familiar goodness as possible, so I wanted to stick with those two maps for now.

I don't care if it's a river in SV or a beach on RV, but has anyone else tried this yet and decided which is easier or preferable? If you did the river in Sunset Valley, how did you go about it? Did you use the valley sculpt tool to cut one in, or did you use those river pieces...or both? If you built a beach into RV, any advice, warnings and suggestions on that? Better yet--anyone got a finished version they'd like to share?

I've actually just tried building a beach into RiverView. I am currently waiting for CAW to rebuild routing for me to deal with the changes I made to build a beach where the large body of water feeds into the river. BTW, though I didn't look at it before making my changes, it looks like areas I didn't touch already had seriously broken routing. What's that all about? Anyone else see that? Or did I break inland areas just editing the edge of the terrain?

Oh and also wanted to clarify--if I get a finished world based off either of those two Lite worlds, will it really force me to choose between my finished world and the REAL Sunset Valley/REAL Riverview?
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 7:49 PM
I played with sunset valley and actually added a canyon in the middle. I used the valley sculpt tool set to a specific size and basically cut out a canyon, before using the "Flatten gentle" tool to add little cliffs and give it some personality.

It wasn't a very good river, though, since it wasn't accessable and was basically just a big hole in the ground.

With riverview all I've done is try replacing the ground textures with various sands to make a sandy river area, but it didnt work too good(I also didnt realize riverview doesnt have a distant terrain, it's just very cleverly sculpted and camera routed!)

And it shouldn't force you to use one or the other. Can you add/edit description? If you change the name, info, icon, and resave it as a new world name, then export that, it should work alongside them just fine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 9:51 PM
Okay, thanks for the info! I wonder how long it takes to rebuild routes. I started at 3:18 pm my time and now it's 4:47 and still seems to be doing something. Is it a long slow process?

I wish I could post a photo of what I did but don't have the ability to do so at the moment. I got it looking pretty nice but I'm not sure how well the sims will be able to route to the new beach, if at all. There is so much I didn't realize about how routing works that I'm just learning.

We got almost 30 inches of snow a couple of days ago and we lost electricity for almost 24 hours. We're getting another 20 inches tomorrow and another huge storm band is blowing in after that one! Great Holey Llama! I've already done a ton of work but still have much left to do to prepare my fishtanks and my house in case we lose power again. Some people never got their power back. But still I can't stop popping in and fiddling with CAW. It's a sickness or an addiction.
Banned
#4 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 10:24 PM
Rebuilding routing doesn't take me even 5 minutes on the largest map size.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:54 AM
I think I was mistaking the blinking that my display was doing for the activity of rebuilding routing. LOL--I took a look at what it was doing after I logged off of here and said to myself, "Doofus, I don't think it's doing what you think it's doing!" There was this persistent blinking to the screen while the lines appeared to wink in and out. I mistook that for it being the rebuild routing function. Unfortunately I don't know what that flicker is, though.
Banned
#6 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 5:09 AM
oh, hahaha. The flicker is just because the lines rea really thin, and the monitor isn't high enough res to render all consistently at once, is all. Once you get closer, they'd stop doing that. The same thing happens if you have too many intricate thin fences, it's just what happens when there's really thin lines on something.