Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 9:15 AM
Default Spawners
Morning everyone,

I have a few questions about spawners...

1. Fish spawners - do they 'populate' the whole lake/ water area with that kind of fish, or only the small circle around the little white box?

When I place a fish spawner it's a circle probably about 3 - 4 squares in diameter. My DH went to place a fish spawner in his river and the circle round the box was HUGE. Any idea why they are such different sizes?

2. Gem/seed spawners - again, do these spawn gems/seeds only in the area of the little circle round the little white box?

Thank you

~ Nyn ~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:48 AM
anyone?

~ Nyn ~
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 3:06 AM
I'm surprised no one has answered this.

Well, I am sort of able to answer, so I will. On the fish spawners, there are two kinds of spawners. The huge circles are for designating fresh or sea fishing areas (fresh water designator and salt water designator), and don't give the splashing fish. The little circles are the ones that are for specific species of fish, and they only spawn within a narrow circle.

On the gem/seed spawners, they also spawn within a certain small circle. I think it's within that circle shown by the spawner, but I'm less certain of that.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 10:35 AM
Many thanks dragonarts for answering!! That's exactly what I wanted to know

Do you know if it's a good idea or not to overlap the spawners? so their small circles are overlapping?

~ Nyn ~
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 1:41 PM
It doesn't appear to matter. I used the tiny flat world template to make a world, and stacked half a dozen metal spawners more or less on top of each other, and they work fine. A word of caution though. Keep the spawners at least 2 squares away from the edges of lots. There's a warning about that in the help files. Stuff can spawn too close to buildings, and the sims can't pick them up.

You can use buydebug when editing lots to place the spawners ON lots. That works well. I'd keep those 2 squares from the edge of the lot too though.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:08 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'm making a note of that

~ Nyn ~