Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 11:17 PM
Default Coloring/shading the ground
Hi!

I have what is probably another silly question with an easy answer lol.

But I'm at the stage in my world where I want to start shading the land, adding darker grass here and there etc.

When I open the terrain paint panel, there is only one grass option. I see below that there is a slider for opacity. I tried sliding this a bit and it makes the square under it go darker/lighter, but doesn't seem to change anything to the grass.

So what I'm asking is: how do I make darker or lighter grass that the one provided in-game?

Many thanks!!

~ Nyn ~
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 11:31 PM
Click "Add Layer". It brings up a box where you pick the texture and the sound it makes when walked on, so it's very simple to find. There's an ENORMOUS pack of textures stickied at the top of this forum, too.

When layering textures over others, make the "Falloff" lower and the "Opacity" around 50 or so, I believe is the best. Note that you might not see "Fallouff" unless you grab the texture box and pull it away from being locked in where it is- the program is built stupidly, and even on the highest resoltions, some buttons are hidden!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:50 AM
Thank you Claeric

~ Nyn ~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 10:05 AM
Like everything, this is so simple once you know how to do it

Once you've installed your new textures...

1. Open terrain paint panel

2. Click on 'Add layer'

3. In 'Edit color map' window...

Name layer if you like.

Choose the 'texture' that you want.

Click on 'terrain sound' and choose the same sort of texture as you did a second before - this is still trial and error for me as I don't really get how to know exactly what to choose.

4.You have to go now and select the new texture added to the game if you want to use it. (where the thumbnails of grass/sand etc. are found)

Being a bit of a noob I didn't realize I had to do that last step, I thought that by choosing what I wanted in the 'edit color map' window would select my new texture. duh lol

anyhoo.. if there are any other noobs out there, hopefully this helps

~ Nyn ~