Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 12:34 AM
Default How to Load "Edit in Game" Quickly
If anyone is having problems getting "Edit in Game" to load, try removing your Packages and DCCache folders before loading CAW. Doing this should cut your loading times significantly.

The usual locations of these folders are as follows:

Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages
Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Mods\Packages
Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache

Don't forget to put them back once you're done!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 1:15 AM Last edited by Jasumi : 22nd Dec 2009 at 1:25 AM.
Actually, it's only the DCCache folder which needs to be moved temporary. The Mods folder appears to have no effect on loading times....

Interestingly enough, if you were to move your DCCache files under the Mods directory and enable the Resource.cfg to load them, it will still have no impediment on loading times. It appears EA has messed up their own directory.

Personally, I keep my DCCache folder empty unless I need to install .sims3packs via the launcher (in which I will copy-paste the files from the Mods folder). It's best to keep .dbc files in the Mods folder for the time being....
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 1:55 AM
Ah, thanks for that, Jasumi. Good to know. I'd read somewhere else that you had to remove the Packages folder, but when I was removed that, there was no improvement. Then, when I also removed the DCCache folder, it became so much faster. So I just assumed it was both folders that had to be removed. (Yes, I know what they say about assuming... )

UPDATE: I've just tried loading CAW with my Packages folder still in place (but no DCCache folder) and it's still really slow. So I'd still recommend removing all your CC if you're having the same problem as me.
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 4:08 AM
If you're building worlds to share, it's a good idea to remove it all anyway, so you don't accidentally use CC in your world :/
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 7:35 AM
Instead of removing the CC, just rename the resource.cfg in your base folder to something else - then the game wont read any custom content at all there.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Scholar
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by girlfromverona
UPDATE: I've just tried loading CAW with my Packages folder still in place (but no DCCache folder) and it's still really slow. So I'd still recommend removing all your CC if you're having the same problem as me.

That happened to me once. I forgot to delete Awesome mod.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2009 at 12:07 PM
I don't use AwesomeMod, but I do use the SuperComputer and StoryProgression mods, so maybe they caused the lag. I'll do some testing when I have some spare time.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 9:05 PM
I downloaded some EA objects to use ingame for CAW houses and lots but when I move my dc Cache it all disappears. Including sim3 patterns (not the packaged ones) I downloaded for the same purpose. So, when I edit in game and drop my lots the items are gone or white. Do I need to redownload those items as pkg? Will they upload okay in the finished world and what the rule on patterns? Will credit creator but???
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 12:46 AM
Yeah, that's the whole point of moving your DCCache -- it removes all your sims3pack CC, including EA objects. If you want to use that CC in your world, you'll have to put DCCache back.

And yeah, people who play your world will have to buy those same items for them to show up in the world. Same goes for patterns. With Sims 3, custom content isn't included when lots (or worlds) are packaged.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 5:37 AM
Interestingly, I had the worst load time EVER for Edit in Game for a while (thirty minutes to forty five minutes of load screen, no exaggeration), and getting rid of all CC and caches did not fix it for me, so there may still be some people for whom this won't work.

In my case I am suspecting it was something to do with drivers on my old OS, because I had those issues on Windows XP with the ATI control panel installed for my graphics, and as soon as I went to Windows 7 and didn't bother to install any of the ATI software and just let Win 7 grab driver information, I went to 2 minutes or less load time even fully loaded with all custom and store goods in place. (I'm not using anything but some free store stuff in what I build when I think the neighborhood NEEDS it, but I just tossed everything in briefly to test. Load time was zippy.)
Inventor
#11 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bakafox
Interestingly, I had the worst load time EVER for Edit in Game for a while (thirty minutes to forty five minutes of load screen, no exaggeration)

Mhh worst ever? nah... I gave up after 2 hours looking at the loading screen...

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.