Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 2:54 PM
Default butler mods
I actually started a thread because I had a problem with my butler, and got told that butlers are broken in TS3 and I better not use them, but that there are several butler mods on here. Since this whole butler thing is supposedly so problematic... I wanna ask for a recommendation rather than trying them out on my beloved families.

So, what mods are you guys using for non-broken butlers that you've had good experiences with?
Or a fix to use the original butlers without screwing anything up? Cause I actually like the way they work...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 4:56 PM
Helloo ^^
I usually use this one by douglasveiga : http://modthesims.info/d/525367/hou...h-dec-2014.html
You hire your service sim by phone (not cellphone) and you need to place either the lamp or the chair provided by dourveiga.
If you use the chair the sim will sit there if he has nothing to clean or repair.
If you use the lamp the sim goes to the lamp after he stops cleaning and disappears (kinda like bonehilda , he will reappear if something needs cleaning or repairing)
Pretty sweat mod its like a buffed bonehilda.
You can also alter the sim in CAS to suit your taste with MC.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 12:10 AM
My butlers actually always worked as they were supposed to, and I could fire any butler just fine so far. You just told me in the other thread I shouldn't use them... so I thought there were bugs that could somehow cause serious problems. Didn't even question that, with sims I always assume that anything can and will blow up my precious saves.

I really just want a way to get that one specific butler that quit on my family. I'd prefer using the normal EA butler system but it just doesn't seem like that'll let me cheat my butler back.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 2:20 AM Last edited by igazor : 10th Feb 2019 at 5:31 AM.
Butlers do not have a reputation for breaking in the sense that the game breaks, goes corrupt, saves become damaged and unable to load, etc. When players complain of butlers or other Service Sims like maids and babysitters being broken, usually what they mean is that the ones assigned to them do not perform up to their employers' expectations and do weird things like taking all of the dirty laundry out for a ride on a boat instead of actually washing it.

While the weird stuff probably wasn't programmed intentionally, it's long been my opinion that these inept sims behave the way they do due to some sort of colossal joke that EA is playing on us. The moral of which is, if you want a job done right, do it yourself by adding a new household member and directing them to take care of things. With the limits of household size lifted by way of mods, this becomes a bit easier to manage and I wouldn't trade Buzzler's Housecleaning for All mod for anything.

Nothing at all against Douglasveiga's mods, actually they are brilliant, but I find the assigned sims to be too robotic for my tastes. They certainly get the job done, but I prefer a more human maybe sometimes flawed (not to the extent EA provides!) element to my service staff who at least have needs of their own that need to be tended to either by me or through their own autonomy. One of my sims did manage to seduce the assigned robotic chef though, that sim of mine doesn't really take "No thanks, I have no needs that I require assistance with fulfilling at this time" as an answer from anyone.

Anyway, back to the point. Yes, a properly performing Service Sim if you manage to get one is something to treasure. There are no guarantees, this might not help at all, but NRaas Register has a Select Service command on the lot menu through which you can specify a favorite Service Sim to be assigned to a particular lot when called upon. Of course the sim has to still be available and be in the service pool and the game may ignore your preference anyway, but it might be worth a try.

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Are you on 1.69? Perhaps they fixed it?
Patch 1.69 didn't fix anything at all. The only changes it made were with respect to how the game starts up, not how it plays.

Edit:
Just checked this out a bit more. If you need to and if the former butler is still around or can be added back into the game by salvaging them from a prior game save, then MasterController's Set Service could be used to return the sim to the service pool and then they should be reachable with Register's Select Service command on the lot. Had to laugh when I saw the Grim Reaper show up as a candidate for butler and pizza deliverer, but sure he is after all a Service Sim as well. Not sure I would recommend that selection (stands back as everyone else tries this anyway and their games explode).
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 2:21 PM
Great, a lead. Haven't gotten it to work yet, but I won't give up on Doris so easily.
She does seem to still be around and set as a butler...