Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 12:36 PM Last edited by kihaad : 4th Nov 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Default How to make new Bump Map with new version of CAS?
I haven't problem to make a new Bump Map with old versione of CAS, but i can't replace with new versione of the programs, help!

I have replace my new file in Bump Map, but the mesh doesn't change

is there a tutorial?
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:05 PM
You can add a new normal map(bump) to your package with Postal or S3pe.

*when in CTU extract both meshes and textures from your cloned dress, then close CTU *open your package with Postal and then choose ''add resource'' from the workspace menu.
*import your extracted normal/bump(0xcf9d48f64b15ed19 in your case)
*A new line will appear on the bottom, it says unknown resource, click it(select)
* Fix the group #(should be 00b2d882) and the instance #(should be cf9d48f64b15ed19) click commit when done.
*Your bumpmaptexture should appear now.
*Go back to the box were you filled in the instance # and make a few changes to the number(like make it dd9d48f64b15ed19 or watever)
*write that number down.(or remember)
*click commit again.
*You can save your file now, but then you must close Postal and reopen it later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open your mesh with Milkshape and go to the groupstab and open the comments from your mesh, you will see this:

Quote:
FVFItems: 7
TableType: 2
References: 3
TGIRef00: 00B2D882 00000000 CF9D48F6 4B15ED19
TGIRef01: 00B2D882 00000000 CF9D48F6 4B15ED1A
TGIRef02: 00AE6C67 007D351C 00000000 643A0E93
EmbeddedType: 548394B9
EmbeddedSize: 308
EmbeddedLong000: 464E544D
EmbeddedLong001: 00000000
EmbeddedLong002: 00000074

*TGIRef00 is your normalmap/bump, change the last number in the same # as you wrote down earlier(the new instance # from your package)
*click ok and save your mesh
* Repeat this for ALL your meshes(lod 1, 2 and 3 and the lod1_1, 2_1 and 3_1)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go back to Postal and choose ''show Nmapnames'' from the Workspace menu, it will take a while but then all GEOM files will have a their name attached to it.
*Choose lod1, then choose the tab Hex view and import the correct mesh.
*click commit in the resource details tab when done.
*Reimport ALL meshes(exept Morphs) the same way as i described for lod1.
*Save your file
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loading your new normalmap goes the same as i described for the meshes.
*open your package
*select the normalmap DDS file
*choose tab ''Hex view''
*import your fixed normalmap in DDS format
*when clicking commit your new normalmap texture should appear.
*save your file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When everything works correct you can open the package with S3PE and compress the GEOM and DDS files again.

This is how i fix them
Hope this will make sence, and for others plz correct me if i made mistakes!!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:27 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 4th Nov 2009 at 3:39 PM.
You can also do this using CTU. Do what Base1980 says above about editing your mesh's Group comments in Milkshape so that the TGI0 gives the key of a neutral bumpmap.

Then in CTU, input your LODs into the spaces provided on the Mesh tab, and then in the space for 'Bump Map' at the bottom of that screen, browse to your own bumpmap that you created. Save your package, and it should now appear correctly in-game - your own bumpmap will now be able to override the TGI0 that was shown in CTU, as TGI0 has now been replaced with a neutral bumpmap key in your mesh itself.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 3:35 PM
I forgot,
Maybe it is better to leave LOD3 as it is since you can not add the LOD3_1 GEOM with CTU.
You will end up with LOD3 using the new bumpmap and LOD3_1 the old bumpmap wich might give errors!!

Edit,
Thats alot more friendly method Esmeralda thnx
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 5:25 PM
I don't have milkshape, can all this be done in CAS and Postal?
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by poppyberry
I don't have milkshape, can all this be done in CAS and Postal?

You only want a new bumpmap after you have changed excisting or created new meshes.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 7:43 PM
Thank you for you reply...I have a problem where bumps are showing through, so I do want a new bump map, if that's not possible at the moment then that's fine. I use EA meshes and sometimes the bumps show through where I don't want them to after I have altered the texture.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 8:36 PM
Just create a "clone" of the existing mesh.

First extract the meshes using CTU on the main tab.

And then on the mesh tab, insert the files of your extracted meshes, make sure you change the mesh name and insert your bumpmap. CTU will automatically create a new mesh that points to your bumpmap.

Then save your package, reload it and voila! Your new mesh with bumpmap should have loaded fine.
Instructor
#9 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 9:32 PM
Edit: beat me to it. ;B
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM
I am glad to know it can be done, thank you. Does anyone know of a very simple step by step tutorial? I have tried the above but I cannot make it work for me.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 10:26 PM
Did you try it in one operation?, i mean....you can not add a bumpmap on a excisting custom package
and did you add the necesarry meshes at the same time..
Instructor
#12 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 3:28 AM
I don't think there is a tutorial for Jonha's and my method, I don't think many people are even aware it works.
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 7:01 AM
I usually just change the files in the texture and pattern tab, I don't really know anything about meshes, when I extracted them there were 4 files, I am not sure what I alter or do with them once I've done that. Thanks
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 1:33 PM
Since the links to the bump/normalmap are located in the mesh files you need to reattache them in order to change the link to a new texture
It is done in the last tab, same tab were you add your new bumpmap texture.
You extract the meshes and then import them back again in the correct boxes.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 3:15 PM
Do I need to do anything to the mesh files? I noticed one of them is a VPXY file which I can do nothing with. The others will open with CTU, but I can't do anything with them. I can take the DDS bump map and modify it, I have tried putting the meshes back into the boxes, but the bump map doesn't seem to work...I get error message key is not in the correct format? I also do not know where to put the meshes (in what order, how many boxes and such) What do I do with the texture files I extracted?
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 4:08 PM
If im correct you do not have to edit the meshes, atleast that is wat Jonha says.
You simply extract them and then go to the Mesh tab.
*You change the mesh name, add you name to it or something like that
*You add the meshes in the correct order, this cant be any simpler because the meshes already have the correct lod names, so lod1 goes into lod1 box/lod1_1 in the lod1_1 box, lod2 in the lod2 box etcetc.
At the bottom you insert your custom normal/bumpmap, click commit and choose save as.
That is all there is to it

Later you can edit the other textures if you like but when you want to update your normal/bumpmap Again you need to use Postal

I never extract the textures, i extract 2 or 3 texture files when i am working in the design tab base/specualr and mask as those are often the only ones you want to edit.

Note!
Only use ''save as'' the first time, after reopening use only ''save''!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 4:59 PM
Here is what I am trying to do, it just doesn't remove the buttons from the vest, I am grateful for all your help, thank you so much...do you know what I could be doing wrong?

Instructor
#18 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 5:27 PM
Did you in fact edit the bumpmap, and use that version when you reimported the meshes?

Edit: Actually, that might be the mesh...
Test Subject
#19 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 8:40 PM
Yes I did...and I took the wrong picture somehow...d'oh!

I extracted the meshes and textures into a folder on my desktop, added my name to each file....took the bump map dds from the extracted textures thingy, edited and renamed it. Then added the LOD's back with their new names and also tried it with adding the VPXY file renamed too. Then it just always says that key is not in the correct format.

I don't think it is the mesh but I could be wrong, when I made this in old CAS/CTU the buttons didn't show through like that.

Instructor
#20 Old 6th Jan 2010 at 9:24 PM
No, you need to give the mesh itself a new name.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#21 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 6:49 AM
I did give it a new name
Instructor
#22 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 7:24 AM
Can you show us the texture for the bumpmap? Did you edit in in photoshop or another program?
Test Subject
#23 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 10:19 AM
I've tried a few, a plain dds that was just all grey, one that did have an alpha, one that didn't and this one is the first I tried where I just took out the detail on the buttons.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI

Here it is as a JPG so I can show it to you.

Sockpuppet
#24 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 2:35 PM
I had a look at the textures and i am wondering if you also edited the overlay as that texture also contains the buttons.
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 4:37 PM
Yes, I did edit the overlay
Page 1 of 3