Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Anime Addict
#76 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 8:43 AM
I recently had someone request for me to make a book that can teach your sims certain traits, by using a custom script. I was thinking something like the 'Can Apprehend Burglar' trait, which is stupid the way you get it. Instead it could be learned by reading a Self Defence book or something.

I was wondering if this would be possible at all, cause if so, I'd love to be able to learn how and then move onto actually making it. I've followed the Prime Time Sims guide, and made a book.

My Alter Ego's
MTS | The Sim Supply | The Exchange

"I used to have Multiple Personality Disorder but we're ok now"
"Click here to find out how to keep an idiot busy for hours"
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 11:52 AM Last edited by Xane123 : 27th Aug 2009 at 2:37 AM. Reason: i believe i have deleted it
Deleted Tutorial...?
I made a book as well. Whenever I wake back up, I'll tell you all how [I]I[I] made mine happen... It is easy... Make that another mod category!

EDIT: Okay, I think I have deleted the tutorial.

Visit my website: Xane.com, please! This is Xane123, signing off!
Test Subject
#78 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 2:36 AM
Is there going to be another tutorial about this?
Mad Poster
#79 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 6:40 AM
Default Non Replacement "Complete Skill" Books
I have been going over this thread for a couple of weeks now, trying to learn how to create new books and have real titles show up as opposed to ****Gameplay/Excel/Books/blah blah blah****. Last week I finally did it! I have submitted a mod of Complete Skill Books which do not replace any default books, sims can learn all 10 levels of a skill in one book, and there is one book for each of the 10 skills. Thanks to Everyone in this thread for asking and answering questions, and especially to Echo for her insight and for Postal! I hope to know know in 3 - 4 days if they accept my mod and will post a reply here if they do! Thanks Again!!
Mad Poster
#80 Old 24th Nov 2009 at 5:26 PM
Default Non Replacement "Complete Skill" Books in 7 Flavors
The mod I created was approved! You can find it here. Again Thanks to everyone is this thread! I'm already working on adding to the mod by including some of the hidden skills. Then I'm thinking of adding General Books.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#81 Old 26th Nov 2009 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corrie
I recently had someone request for me to make a book that can teach your sims certain traits, by using a custom script. I was thinking something like the 'Can Apprehend Burglar' trait, which is stupid the way you get it. Instead it could be learned by reading a Self Defence book or something.

I was wondering if this would be possible at all, cause if so, I'd love to be able to learn how and then move onto actually making it. I've followed the Prime Time Sims guide, and made a book.
Possible? Sure. Would require a core mod that enables you to exceed max traits, and, of course, an actual book. Other than that, easy. Have fun.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#82 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 5:17 AM Last edited by iamrosa : 29th Nov 2009 at 5:42 AM.
Wow, this is great! I've been very busy making custom careers and now I've come up to the career events, which often involve books. I've been having a rough time trying to get the default books to seem relevant to my careers, and now reading this I see I can just make my own set to go with my careers! More work, yeah, but much higher quality final product, right? Thanks for figuring all this stuff out, guys!

One question: is there a way to load in custom books without having to override the entire default xml file? I ask because it's a shame that people would have to choose between, say, my books and werismyki's skill books, but if there's a way to have both... Any ideas?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#83 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iamrosa
One question: is there a way to load in custom books without having to override the entire default xml file? I ask because it's a shame that people would have to choose between, say, my books and werismyki's skill books, but if there's a way to have both... Any ideas?
Yes. A script bootloader can cause the game to append to an entry table by reading a seperate file. AwesomeMod uses this technique to append traits, socials, socialrules, and a few other things, and while AwesomeMod is core, being core is not necessary to perform such a bootload. I suppose I can also train AwesomeMod to load a generic, user-supplyable file for custom books. Next version should enable you to place only the added data inside a packed "custombooksXX.xml", which AwesomeMod will load for you. Expect it out in a few minutes. On the other hand, if you don't want to use AwesomeMod, well, you suck, and I hate you.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ThomasRiordan
Unfortunately, I don't know how to add a new cover just yet. I'm not quite sure how the game calls for the material state or if it's something that can be done without a core mod. I know it uses bookChildrens in the XML but I somehow doubt it's as simple as just making a resource called bookHarryPotter and putting it in the XML. There has to be something else that calls on the material somewhere.

I'm actually trying to solve this problem right now. There are a few unused covers (0x00B2D882) in the game files that could be recycled, but their names do not match up exactly with the MaterialState names required in the XML. It would be great to be able to add extra covers.

Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Next version should enable you to place only the added data inside a packed "custombooksXX.xml", which AwesomeMod will load for you. Expect it out in a few minutes.

Brilliant.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 1:04 PM
Has anyone gone into the process of making a tutorial for how to make a book? I made a successful one with out the ***'s. For those that are still having trouble, you can fix this through s3pe.

Edit: I think this was already posted. Not too sure though, but Echo said something similar to this.

1. Go under Tools>FNV Hash
2. Type in the text showing in game (ex. Gamplay/.../../)
3. Copy and paste the FNV64 code.
4. In the STBL file, paste this code in the bottom box and add in what you want it to say.

I can also make the tutorial if no one else wants too.
Banned
#86 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 3:46 AM
I am wondering if it would be possible for books to consist of text files?

Now that we can do adventures, a book would be a great starting point for certain adventures. A sim finds an old book in a bookstore or a library, which tells the sim about a secret entrance to a tomb, castle, church, etc. As a text file, the text in the book could be rather cryptic or even a riddle. It certainly would give sims a reason to read non-skill books.

I am starting to plan a series of dungeons, tombs, castles and the like mixing together elements from the Albigensian Crusade (France), the Knights Templar (France and Egypt), a trip down the Silk Road (China), and the Illuminati (they are everywhere!)
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#87 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 2:55 PM
Books don't contain any text at all. They are purely cosmetically titled objects for your sims to read. Unless you want to code an entirely new class of book that contains actual text, you can't really have text files in any form of existing book. It's certainly POSSIBLE, though. On a scale of 0 to 10, where 1 is something like removing the censor blur, and 10 is recoding the entire game from scratch, I'd say this has a feasibility of about 2.3.

Banned
#88 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 2:51 AM
Books don't contain any text at all.

I don't know if this is 100% correct. For example, when you finish with recipe books, you get a message like "You have learned how to make Noodles Romanoff. Yum." I have not read many books in game for a while so I don't recall if there are similar text messages.

However, this message probably is translated in other language versions of the game, which suggests that there is a text file somewhere.

As they say, where there is a will, there is a beneficiary.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#89 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tjstreak
I don't know if this is 100% correct. For example, when you finish with recipe books, you get a message like "You have learned how to make Noodles Romanoff. Yum." I have not read many books in game for a while so I don't recall if there are similar text messages.
That's not a text file, that's just a procedurally generated notification.

Test Subject
#90 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:29 AM
On the other hand, if you don't want to use AwesomeMod, well, you suck, and I hate you.

Heh heh... er... well... I guess we're not on the best of terms then, but *ehem* I'm thinking I'd like to maybe try my hand at scripting a standalone book loader for those of us that don't... well, this is awkward... don't happen to have AwesomeMod at the moment...

So yeah, I've been digging around in some loaders that I've got into IL, and there's a lot that's just gobbledygook to me, but I get a lot of it, too. I think the thing that's going to hang me up the most is finding out what to refer back to in the Sims3.Gameplay business. Where can I find that particular code, so I can see what (or where?) I need to be loading the custom book data into? Scripting is altogether a joyless pursuit for me, but I think it'd be brilliant to have just a little bitty script (optional of course) that I can package with my careers so everyone can have the books regardless of whether they choose to pursue the path of Awesomeness or not.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 3:45 PM Last edited by Iryl : 9th Mar 2011 at 6:57 PM.
After reading the whole thread again, some clarification questions on Book Creation:

Does the game have a books.xml file that you can overwrite and if so where is it?

Do you still need to do STBL if you simply overwrite the books.xml?

What exactly is STBL in relation to books.xml?

What is FNV64 or its code? Is it part of STBL?

Will I understand FNV64 if I use the linked program to edit an STBL?

Where is the STBL file or do I create one?

Is the custombooksXX.xml (a la AwesomeMod) downloadable from somewhere or can you create a new one using books.xml as a template? Is a "resource xml" file actually called "resource.xml" or is it a description of a general xml file? Does the name even matter when using AwesomeMod method?

If you use the AwesomeMod method, do you need to do anything with STBL or edit any existing files?

---------------------------------
See, I'm reading about editing this and that, but I don't get precisely when things need editing, or how to pull up their files to do so (aside from using a program for STBL), or even where to put the finished xml files. As far as I can tell, there are 2 processes being described, plus some fun object creation thrown in for confusion's sake, and ye olde tutorials seem to be MIA.

One thing I AM sure of, I'd better change those 0b's into 00's. *nod*

TL;DR - I can't tell what is outdated for these processes and the multiple conversations tend to get muddled together.
Page 4 of 4