Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 8:15 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Apartment Life
Default Newspaper hack
My expansions are up to Seasons. I've just downloaded the "newspaper Hack" from this site. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It always shows reset, delete, etc... Anyone who would give me some help? Thanks!
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 8:25 PM
It is really old. I am sure it is probably really outdated. That would be why you are having glitches.
Alchemist
#3 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 8:37 PM
this kind of thread probably belongs to the Help section; though a moderator might move this thread.
and probably post a link of the download.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 10:39 PM
I take it you mean this newspaper hack. As gdayars says, it is indeed rather old. With these older mods, it's always a good idea to read the comments, to see if other players have reported problems. From what people have posted there, it seems this hack stopped working with the Pets EP. Comment post #49 says that wintermuteai1 (who wrote the original version of the newspaper hack) has/had more up-to-date versions available, but that post is itself now over 10 years old, and I've no idea where, or indeed if, wintermuteai1's versions are to be found today.

As I read it, the main purpose of the hack is to make all jobs, and also the career rewards, available through the newspaper. There are other, possibly better, ways of getting these available. May I suggest MogHughson's Jobs Noticeboards (two-tile version here, one-tile version here), to get any job. Career rewards are available through a cheat.

I might just try this mod out in my game: my highest EP is OFB, so it might still work for me. But I really don't think it would be very useful. I already use MogHughson's Noticeboards, and on the infrequent occasion when I need a career reward that the Sim hasn't earned, I'll use the cheat. (I might use it to give Sims in the natural science career the hydroponic garden instead of that horrible Sim-eating triffid.)

One caveat about the Job Noticeboards: my Sim got a final warning after she got home from the community lot where she found the job. In future I'll guard against that by using the Sim Manipulator to give her at least one vacation day.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 11:06 PM
Default Newspaper hack
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I take it you mean this newspaper hack. As gdayars says, it is indeed rather old. With these older mods, it's always a good idea to read the comments, to see if other players have reported problems. From what people have posted there, it seems this hack stopped working with the Pets EP. Comment post #49 says that wintermuteai1 (who wrote the original version of the newspaper hack) has/had more up-to-date versions available, but that post is itself now over 10 years old, and I've no idea where, or indeed if, wintermuteai1's versions are to be found today.

As I read it, the main purpose of the hack is to make all jobs, and also the career rewards, available through the newspaper. There are other, possibly better, ways of getting these available. May I suggest MogHughson's Jobs Noticeboards (two-tile version here, one-tile version here), to get any job. Career rewards are available through a cheat.

I might just try this mod out in my game: my highest EP is OFB, so it might still work for me. But I really don't think it would be very useful. I already use MogHughson's Noticeboards, and on the infrequent occasion when I need a career reward that the Sim hasn't earned, I'll use the cheat. (I might use it to give Sims in the natural science career the hydroponic garden instead of that horrible Sim-eating triffid.)

One caveat about the Job Noticeboards: my Sim got a final warning after she got home from the community lot where she found the job. In future I'll guard against that by using the Sim Manipulator to give her at least one vacation day.

Thanks for the help. I'll try this "Jobs Noticeboards".
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 11:37 AM
There are several more up-to-date mods that offer those job functions. TwoJeffs' Sim Blender and Aaroneous' Sim Manipulator are two that I know about - there are probably lots of others. (I have both of those as well as the Job Notice Board in my game.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 1:04 PM
Hell, you can just type in boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and shift click on the paper. I do that a lot.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 6:39 PM
I don't want to sound like I think the Job Notice Board is a bad mod or anything like that. I just wanted to make sure that the OP knew there were a lot of options for that function.