Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#876 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 2:24 AM
Of all the titles you listed, the only one I was able to find on tubi was Train to Busan. I had it on my watch list once, but decided it was too wild and crazy. I put it back on my list and will give it ago when I'm in the mood. I have a feeling I'm not going to sit through it though.
I shouldn't have mentioned post-apocalyptic, since most of them are terrible gore fests, which I don't care for.

I don't have Netflix. If something isn't available for free somewhere, there's really no chance I'll watch it. Despite my long list uptopic, movies simply aren't important enough to me to spend money on.

I'm sure I saw The Stepford Wives, back in the day, probably on TV. Don't remember anything about it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#877 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 4:17 AM
Yeah, true about the gore fest but I guess that doesn't bother me much as I know it's just fiction. There are some movie scenes or game scenes that make me nauseated like the Saw series or the Mortal Kombat fatalities. But I guess I took after my mother with most of the desensitization of horror movies since she loved to watch them. Also it probably helped that I used to watch Tales from the Crypt with my grandmother and I liked reading Goosebumps books and watching Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Train to Busan in my opinion, while gory, has a really solid storyline that got me invested in the characters and their survival. For me as long as the movie/series/game has a good plot then I'm in. That's how I got into the Resident Evil games. But no worries, we all have our own preferences.

Touché, it doesn't make sense to spend money on anything you don't really have a passion for.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Theorist
#878 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Yeah, true about the gore fest but I guess that doesn't bother me much as I know it's just fiction.

It doesn't bother me in that sense. I just think it's stupid.
Some gore can have its place, like in The House That Jack Built, when it is paired with good suspense, but gore just for the sake of it is just dumb, in my opinion. As an aside, the reason I gave it only a "1" rating uptopic is solely because it contained a couple of minutes of totally irrelevant World War 2 footage, which means the director and others were pushing a political agenda. If it weren't for that, I'd give it a "10".

Quote:
There are some movie scenes or game scenes that make me nauseated like the Saw series

I've seen some of the Saw movies (1 through 4, I think) and liked them, but again, they were also suspenseful and clever.
Theorist
#879 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 7:40 AM
A couple more I watched this past year:

The Babadook (2014): A mother struggles to protect her son from an evil supernatural entity that has escaped the pages of a children's book and is lurking in their home.
Bad (1-4)

The Third Murder (2017, Japan, subtitled): A courtroom drama centered around the murder of a factory president.
Good (6-8)
Theorist
#880 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 7:28 AM
The Emerald Forest (1985): Ten years after his son disappeared in the Brazilian rainforest, an engineer attempts a rescue only to be disabused of his notions of “civilization.”
Good (6-8)
Forum Resident
#881 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
It doesn't bother me in that sense. I just think it's stupid.
Some gore can have its place, like in The House That Jack Built, when it is paired with good suspense, but gore just for the sake of it is just dumb, in my opinion. As an aside, the reason I gave it only a "1" rating uptopic is solely because it contained a couple of minutes of totally irrelevant World War 2 footage, which means the director and others were pushing a political agenda. If it weren't for that, I'd give it a "10".

I've seen some of the Saw movies (1 through 4, I think) and liked them, but again, they were also suspenseful and clever.

True. I have the same mentality with nudity and spicy scenes; I find it obnoxious when it's just there just for the sake of it and plays no purpose to the plot or characterization. I mean I guess it's a trope in horror movies that's when the couple gets killed and to me became more like comedy but still. That's a part of the reason I really enjoyed playing The Quarry because despite the take on older cheesy horror tropes, the game doesn't go that far into unnecessary romance scenes...unlike Heavy Rain even though that game is still one of my favorites but come on. Most, if not all, agree how awkward it is forcing the player to act all that out when no one was expecting all that to transpire. Otherwise the brief nudity in The Order: 1886 makes sense because they went the realistic route with the werewolves transformation of completely destroying their clothes.

And yeah there's propaganda everywhere. Movies, commercials, Tell-U-A-Vision, video games, social media, news, books, the list goes on.

I really enjoy the Saw movies especially the earlier ones. The last one, the final chapter Jigsaw I think it's called, really annoyed me and makes no sense at all. Like what happened? Did the writer just give up and stop trying to make sense? I was curious what others thought who watched the movie so looked up movie reviews and some felt the same way I did and making jokes about it which made me laugh because it was true. Like seriously, what happened?

=======

#Alive (8/10)
It started off slow in my opinion and wasn't a lot of action compared to some other zombie outbreak movies I've watched previously. However, I suppose it was a nice change in pace and direction. It's one of those movie titles that tells the audience the outcome before even having watched the movie. I know some don't like when writers do that but I can understand why as clearly the point may not be the plot but rather a message to convey. Overall, it was a good movie and the ending reminded of the good old classic Resident Evil tradition, lol.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Theorist
#882 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 10:26 PM
I really enjoy the Saw movies especially the earlier ones. The last one, the final chapter Jigsaw I think it's called, really annoyed me and makes no sense at all. Like what happened? Did the writer just give up and stop trying to make sense? I was curious what others thought who watched the movie so looked up movie reviews and some felt the same way I did and making jokes about it which made me laugh because it was true. Like seriously, what happened?

I think I only saw the first four, and that was some years ago. Of those, I remember I thought II was the best one.
Forum Resident
#883 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 6:57 PM
I think my favorite is the first movie in the Saw series. It was a while ago but I had a marathon and watched the whole Saw series in order of release, except for the spin-off called Spiral but maybe eventually. Besides the spin-off Jigsaw was the only one I hadn't seen but did during the marathon.

There is a new upcoming movie called Saw X which will be the tenth in the franchise; I wonder how many more? I'm kind of not sure about it though after Jigsaw to be honest, but I'll likely give a watch eventually.

Do you watch YouTube? There's some free movies there with ads. The Faculty is one of my favorite movies, Wild Wild West I watched in movie theaters and another movie I enjoy, Little Shop of Horrors (1986) but it's a musical but a good one in my opinion.

I haven't seen Dr. Giggles in many years but I remember that movie and it's on tubi so I'll give it a watch.

Theorist
#884 Old 23rd Aug 2023 at 2:33 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 26th Aug 2023 at 11:34 PM.
Do you watch YouTube?

Yes, but typically just short clips dealing with humor, gaming, or animals.

I did watch Damnation Alley on YT a couple of years ago, and it's still available, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eIKx2LEPU
This is what I meant the other day when I referenced post-apocalyptic, not so much zombie stuff. Yeah, it's campy, but it's got giant scorpions, flesh-eating cockroaches, one of the coolest custom vehicles ever made for a movie, and no cheesy/chringey gratuitous sex, so what's not to like? I've read that vehicle still exists, btw.

The Banishment is also still on YT for free, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDD7EaSKc6M
Turn on the subtitles.
Forum Resident
#885 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 9:04 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll put it on my to watch list.

Theorist
#886 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 11:58 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll put it on my to watch list.

I just noticed Damnation Alley has an interesting writeup about its production on Wikipedia, because 20th Century Fox was making Star Wars at the same time. I'd watch Damnation Alley long before Star Wars, which I think is puerile and grossly overrated.
Mad Poster
#887 Old 28th Aug 2023 at 11:54 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 29th Aug 2023 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Addendums and Clarity
The Lilo and Stitch Saga from Disney:

The 4 movies and television series were released out of order between the original film and the 4th and final film.

The chronological order of the animations.
1.) Lilo and Stitch
2.) Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch
3.) Stitch! The Movie
4.) Lilo and Stitch the Series (65 half hour show, some involved crossovers with Disney TV Animation series on Disney Channel at the time like Kim Possible, The Proud Family (2001), American Dragon: Jake Long and the oddball Recess, which was part of the One Saturday Morning block on ABC, owned by Disney which also aired Lilo and Stitch the Series a few weeks after the initial Disney Channel airing)
5.) Leroy and Stitch (only saw the trailer on L&S 2. Please don't spoil it for me.)

The TV series was released to its entirety on DVD in Japan because they have a home entertainment culture as going to movies is expensive and, like us, love binge watching TV shows. However, that dates back to VHS and Laserdisc.

I knew a guy who hooked me up with the entire series. And it has subtitles and audio BOTH in original English and Japanese dubbed and subbed for hard of hearing.

But you need to have a basic grasp on the kanji for the set up options. Good thing I can read the basics of kanji.

P.S. You would need a region compatible player for the Japanese Region 2 DVD.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Scholar
#888 Old 1st Sep 2023 at 10:03 PM
Ocean's 12 (8/10)

I don't remember a lot of that happening??? Fun to watch as always but Ocean's 11 will always be my #1
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#889 Old 1st Sep 2023 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Ocean's 12 (8/10)

I don't remember a lot of that happening??? Fun to watch as always but Ocean's 11 will always be my #1

I was just watching the original Rat Pack version of Ocean's 11 earlier!
Scholar
#890 Old 9th Sep 2023 at 12:52 AM
I just watched a film I saw years ago but could never remember the title of it. But I recognised it from the description in the TV guide. It was called "Gamma People" (1956) and concerned two journalists who, travelling by train through central Europe, unexpectedly find themselves re-routed to a tiny mountain kingdom they'd never heard of, where they are immediately arrested as spies. Outwardly everything seems very quaint and olde worlde, but sinister things are going on up at the Castle. It appears that a mad scientist has taken over the country (the late king having had an 'unfortunate accident') and he's experimenting on people's brains, supposedly to try and improve the race. Yeah, well we've heard that one before. The results being some children who are perfect little geniuses (and in some cases perfect little stinkers) and a posse of mindless morons who, at the peep of a whistle, the evil prof can set on anybody who opposes him. But, of course, our heroes eventually foil the plot and win the day. So everybody can go back to drinking beer, performing colourful folk dances to the strains of an oompah band, and being ever so jolly.

It happens I'm particularly engaged with a certain little mountain kingdom of my own at present, so I watched it out of interest (more ideas I can't use, drat it!). But it was an enjoyable little romp, sort of a cross between a zombie flick and The Prisoner of Zenda, and featuring loveable English lothario Leslie Philips (Ding-dong!) as comic relief. I rate it 8/10,

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#891 Old 18th Sep 2023 at 12:37 AM

Dziewczyna i kosmonauta (A girl and an astronaut) year 2023 (7/10)
the imdb plot summary.
"An astronaut's return after a 30-year disappearance rekindles a lost love and sparks interest from a corporation determined to learn why he hasn't aged."

The imdb description is misleading, because the main focus is not on the experiment itself, but the complicated relationship between a young woman Marta and two pilots who fall in love with her and compete with each other. It all takes place in 2022. Things change after one of them is chosen by the Russians for a risky hibernation experiment in space. Accidentally, the hibernation doesn't last 24 hours as planned but 30 years. In 2052 he returns to Earth in a coma and is kept in a secret facility in Russia (the one which sent him into space). Now Marta is a married middle-aged woman but after she finds out her crush is alive, wants him back, but the Russians are unwilling to let her take him back to Poland.

It was difficult to write what the series is about because there are so many plots, most of whom are kind of hardly related and difficult to follow. IMDb says it's a sci-fi movie, but it isn't. It's a romanctic story set in 2022 and 2052. The semi-futuristic aspect is only the background for the part of the story which takes place in 2052. I enjoyed it because I simply wanted to watch something which is enjoyable but not too ambitious.

Trailer:
Screenshots

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Forum Resident
#892 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I just noticed Damnation Alley has an interesting writeup about its production on Wikipedia, because 20th Century Fox was making Star Wars at the same time. I'd watch Damnation Alley long before Star Wars, which I think is puerile and grossly overrated.

I remember watching one of the Star Wars movie as a kid and I don't remember which movie it was but I remember the movie was long...so long that I eventually got bored and just turned it off. Ironically, I think the first Star Wars movie came back into the movie theaters for some special event or something and I watched that which I think was in 3D or maybe it wasn't, I don't remember but I know I was obsessed with 3D movies and can't think of any other reason why I would watch it otherwise. It was okay but still not something I'm interested in. The only Star Wars I'm actually interested in is the animated series and that was excellent. I think it was the Clone Wars or something.

Star Trek might be something I'm more interested in but I didn't get a chance to finish watching the older version as it was leaving Netflix but from what I did watch it was intriguing.

=======

I tried watching Zombieverse but I'm barely able to get pass the first episode.

Theorist
#893 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 2:40 AM
I was obsessed with 3D movies

I've only ever been to one 3D movie, and that was Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D, at an IMAX theater, many years ago. That was absolutely stunning.
My only other 3D experience has been with a computer game using a pair of electronic 3D glasses, also many years ago. I still have both the game and the glasses, but haven't played in a long time. It was pretty good too, although the glasses were not needed to play.
Forum Resident
#894 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 8:39 PM
Some of the 3D movies I watched some are top notch in utilizing everything for the best effect and some other 3D movies weren't so great. One of the most impressive 3D movies I watched is Avatar.

I remember one of the Naruto video games I played there was an option to play in 3D, but it wasn't impressive. I think one of the Mortal Kombat games had that too but it was nothing like the best I've seen, especially in some of the 3D horror movies. I don't know of any games now that does anything with 3D except with VR which I must say is a whole other experience to immersion. I chose my first VR experience to be....

Kitchen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLl-DZGLZ8

It looks odd when watching someone play but it's a completely different world when you are in VR and I'm surprised movie theaters don't have more levels of immersion. Or even the experiences where the audience participates in the movie by voting on what happens next like those interactive Netflix movies/series which was quite fascinating to engage.

Bandersnatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnRi3Sclm8

Carmen Sandiego: To Steal or Not To Steal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jnFUoVzFg

Scholar
#895 Old 23rd Oct 2023 at 11:14 PM
Heaven Knows Mr Allison (1957)

You can't go wrong with a pair of movie legends like Robert Mitchum and Debora Kerr. A classic, and rightly so. Reminded me what great movie acting should be and seldom is these days. (10/10)

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Test Subject
#896 Old 27th Oct 2023 at 10:25 PM
Last Night In Soho (2021) - Psychological horror

Not the strongest denouement, but imo a gem overall. Visually captivating and brilliantly unsettling, particularly before there's any good reason to feel unsettled. 9/10
Theorist
#897 Old 28th Oct 2023 at 6:35 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 21st Feb 2024 at 6:34 PM.
Tokyo Twilight (1957, Japan, subtitled): Two adult sisters wrestle with feelings of abandonment when they are reunited with their estranged mother who ran off with another man long ago.
My comment: Takes about an hour for it to get into gear, but that's typical. Another good look at Japanese culture of the 1950's. Nostalgic score.
Very Good (8-10)
Theorist
#898 Old 29th Oct 2023 at 8:53 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 21st Feb 2024 at 6:34 PM.
Tokyo Story (1953, Japan, subtitled): An aging couple travels from their seaside village to Tokyo to visit their children in Ozu's stirring story of generational conflict and heartbreak.
My comment: Not nearly the level of tension as Tokyo Twilight, I would rate this on the lower end of Good, maybe even just Mediocre. It seems the same interior sets were used for both films.
Good (6-8)
Theorist
#899 Old 31st Oct 2023 at 8:26 AM
An Autumn Afternoon (1962, Japan, subtitled): An aging widower reckons with feelings of loneliness and nostalgia as he prepares for his only daughter to get married and leave the home.
Mediocre (4-6)
Scholar
#900 Old 5th Nov 2023 at 9:04 AM
It part 1 (20-idc). The vibes were wrong and the cringe was real. Didn't finish it because it was just wrong and what I did see I didn't like. The OG version with Tim Curry from way back was much better.
Page 36 of 39