Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1176 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 8:38 PM
Default Octavien w/ Silvius & Adalita in Silvius' suite
To say that Octavien was amused by Adalita's reaction, would be an overstatement. To say that he was surprised, would be an even greater one. He had known she was sure to react to the last part of what he had said. But that was not to say he had expected her to completely ignore the rest of what he had said. Any other woman - he could think of one in particular - would have had the dignity to not discuss the matter infront of outsiders. In this case; Octavien. She would've waited until she and Silvius had a chance of discussing it alone, in private.
But then again, Adalita had hardly made it a habit to show proper dignity. Hence her husband's complete lack of surprise at the way she chose to handle herself and the knowledge he had provided her with.

"What?" she whispered, staring at Silvius who had almost jumped back at Octavien's sudden appearance. "Who was it? And why?"

"No wait", Silvius tried, caressing her cheek and, of all things, smiling."Its not what you think. We did nothing, I promise you that and I certainly did not sleep with her!"

At that, Octavien could hardly resist rolling his eyes. A man was seen leaving a woman's room in the morning, and insisted they had done "nothing". What kind of man jeopardized a woman's reputation like that, without "doing something"? Spending the night in her room, sleeping with her, would be bad enough, but to jeopardize her reputation for no apparent reason? That was even worse.
But, unlike the Duc, Octavien was a gentleman, and thus did not allow himself any sign of his reactions to the Duc's words, as they had not been meant for him.
Silvius next words, however, were. Angrily he turned to glare at Octavien, and, as it would seem, spoke before thinking;

"Alright you've done your damage, Your Highness, you've already ruined my life here and taken away the one woman I most held dear. You've got your life, and Adalita has hers, don't think because you're her husband that you automatically have complete control of her."

Slowly, Octavien quirked one of his blonde aristocratic brows at the man's bold words and apparent misconception, far from being impressed.

"I'm afraid, Duc, that the damage currently done, is yours", he said and carefully straightened the ruffles of his shirt sleeves. "I had very little to do with the unwed Princess becoming pregnant, nor did I play a part in the night you spent with the Baroness."

He turned his gaze back to Silvius, then let it shift to the upset young woman next to him, before returning to the Duc once more. So, this was how they saw him? Someone that had 'ruined' their lives. Oh, please! How absurd!

"What I have done", he continued, "I have done out out of concern for Adalita's honor, and for the royal family. But I don't imagine that is something that would seem even slightly familiar to you, Duc. You have hardly made yourself known as a man that values the honor of a woman more than your own simple pleasures."

Again he paused, and shook his head at the whole thing while he slowly started making his way over to the fireplace.

"I have taken nothing from you. What I have now, you lost before I was even a part of this sordid affair. I only stepped in, once you were no longer deemed a suitable husband. And I assure you, I do not intend to completely control my wife. I have assured her that she is free to be with whomever she pleases, and that no advances will be made on my part. You are more than welcome to her."

Reaching the fireplace, he placed his elbow on the mantle and leaned against it, lightly and casually, while he studied the two on the bed, choosing his words carefully.

"However", he continued. "Adalita and I had an understanding. One that in just two days, she has violated repeatedly, with your help. My reasons for being... displeased, should hardly be a mystery to anyone. Least of all her. In the short time that we have been married, I have treated her with far more respect and consideration, than she has me. As I said before, I married her to protect her; her honor and her reputation, as well as that of her family. But I will not sacrifice my own future and happiness, just to be made a fool, and I do not believe my simple request has in any way been unreasonable. After all, discretion on all parts protects the two of you just as much as it protects myself."

Surely they would be able to understand it? At least Silvius should, as he may be a fool, but Octavien doubted he was anywhere near unintelligent. One did not necessarily go hand in hand with the other. Still, Octavien took another moment to choose his words with the greatest of care, so that his point would not be missed, and so that it wouldn't come out sounding like a threat, as it was not meant as one. Not entirely. It was only part threat. Mostly, it was plain fact.

"One would think the two of you would realize the benefits of granting me what I have requested, for I may be the best ally you could possible have. Or I could be your worst enemy. The choice is yours. But let it be known to both of you that I have tried to be the former. I am, however, afraid that if the two of you keep dishonoring and embarrassing us all, I will soon be the latter."

(((ooc: These are all Octavien's thoughts. Just wanted to be clear on that. Oh, and he will get to the point soon, I just didn't think it was fair to have him keep going and going, without giving you guys the chance to react/respond.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Advertisement
#1177 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 3:07 AM
Default Isabella & Mercy - Isabella's Salon
It seemed Mercy was not telling, and that was fine by Isabella. The threat had been dealt with and no longer remained. There was no reason to dwell on the issue of if Duchess Marie was involved with Edouard recently.

“These flowers are truly beautiful, are they a favorite of yours?”

Isabella’s own eyes drifted to the flowers on the table. She was constantly surrounded by the lavish things of beauty, that she had practically grown immune to noticing them in her surroundings. “Yes, they are quite beautiful indeed. If I’m not mistaken they are of the Narcissus family, Paper Whites I think they’re called. I do enjoy them indeed, as so few flowers will bloom during this dreadful time of year. However, it is my opinion that nothing can compare to the beauty of a rose.”

Isabella was indeed very fond of the roses that bloomed in the palace’s garden. She often sat among them, considering herself to be much like them. Beautiful and sought after, yet dangerous to touch.

“Anyhow, before we shall drag our lunch on for too long, I was just curious if there was anything I could do for you? Is there anything you find yourself in need of?”

((OOC: I have no idea if narcissus flowers would have been available to them back then. I ask for mercy on that, as I just don’t have the stamina to research flowers that they had back then that bloomed in the winter and what they called them. lol Fayreview… Isabella has nothing else to pick Mercy’s mind about, so it’s up to you if you want to keep their polite talk going, mention something deeper, or bring their lunch to an end.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1178 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 6:56 AM
(((ooc: Well, Shenan, there was always the Palace orangery. That's what I had in mind when Octavien got her the rose. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1179 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 7:32 AM
((It's ok I just wondered what the Queen's favourite flower was really, trust Isabella to be a romantic under it all!!!!))

"No I am still most happy from the last gift the was bestowed upon me by this court," Mercy smiled gently. "And I am sure you have infinitely more interesting things to be getting on with your highness, so I shall just congratulate you on the elimination of the obstacle the helped bring down the previous Queen and a simple reminder that thankfully very soon all this back stabbing will end after all I am sure your husband is coming to a descision." Mercy raised from her chair and bowed her way out of the room.

Once she was out she proceeded to the palace orangery to seek out a certain flower, the Queen had given her a most spectacular idea, that she would waste no time implementing.
#1180 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 6:49 PM
((No it only happens when you post and then get a 'this cannot be displayed' screen afterwards, i realised it happens to me ALOT.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1181 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 7:23 PM
(((ooc: Less than 24 hours of the afternoon left, according to what Shenan said yesterday... And honestly, I'm sick and tired of having to push every step of the way. Talk about a Sisyphean task. No more, I give up. All this hassle is ruining it for me, and I love this RP too much to want that to happen.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1182 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 7:35 PM
((As long as your not leaving us Atropa But i don't think its a syphesian task -sorry about the spelling- the gods have no reason to punish you... Anyway it'll be better when the new thread opens ))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1183 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 7:54 PM
(((ooc: Fay - I hope you're right. And thanks.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1184 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 8:40 PM
Roseline moved lethargically around the large Palace after depositing the Princess* back at her temporary suite, the Duchess’ old room the Queen said it was. There are so many chambers, and so many hallways in the large building it would be impossible to know your way to each and every one of them, and as Roseline had no need to ever visit the late Duchess she never did know exactly where the room was found. Luckily, there are actually some helpful servants rushing about the place, and with a simple question asked here and there she found it pretty easily. Yet that had been late morning, and now it was late afternoon but Roseline still hadn’t found something to do to occupy her attention for more than a couple of minutes before moving on quickly to the next thing, and so that was where she was now, simply trailing the lavish halls looking for something to do, and to reflect on the recent times.

She was still in temporary shock over the Queen’s invitation to her to enter her Salon, in the company of foreign royalty on top of that. Roseline allowed a small smile to flicker over her lips. What a strange thing that was, not that it wasn’t enjoyable, simply sitting in the Queen’s own Salon could be nothing but. Yet now she found herself down the same corridor that she was around five minutes ago and felt the smile that was pushed onto her lips fade as she looked half-heartedly out of the window. It was too cold to go out and too boring to stay in. The Palace was a lonely place when the courtiers were hidden away.

With a small sigh, she headed back down the corridor, tucking a strand of blond hair back behind her ear. She would have to have her hair re-styled in a moment anyway but she could never take it fully down in Court. She wondered how Octavien was getting on with his new bride, to do what he has for her – and the Court’s – honour is a most noble thing to do, but not one that Roseline herself could, if she ever would be in that position. The Court was a nasty place, but the rumours start from something, a truth that could simply put you in a compromising position and they grab hold of it, but it isn’t all lies, so Roseline wondered, as she moved along the corridor towards her Chamber whether the rumours had been impacting Octavien. He wasn’t stupid, nor deaf or blind. It is easy to hear to rumours, and simply because he never spoke openly about any of them doesn’t mean he doesn’t know. A new bride, apparently already having an affair.

((ooc;; Approachable – in a corridor of your choice

* = Princess Lilian Whitman (SwirlyHill) just to avoid confusion...

Atropa – … Sorry you feel like that … I understand that you need everyone active to make some drama … I hope that it’ll pick up again as well, and hopefully it will

Shenan – I’m sure you won’t You’ve been running this brilliantly, so you won’t disappoint anyone.

Well, sorry it’s been so long since I last posted x.x I found myself with no free time last week, but I’m back now, and sorry again… slightly short post x.x))
#1185 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 10:07 PM
Mercy had sent the three flowers out with a palace footman, and smiling to herself turned and re-entered the castle, she walked to her chambers and washed her face again before applyingwhat make up she could without irritating the cut down her cheek.

On exiting her chamber she saw a young woman down the corridor. She paused until the woman turned and she could get a glimpse of the lady's face, it was Baroness Taylor. She called out gently rather than hurrying after the woman, hurrying did not seem to do Mercy any good. "Baroness Taylor how are you doing today?" Once she caught up with the young woman she finished with "it has been quite a time since we last spoke."
#1186 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 5:44 PM
Roseline’s attention was quickly drawn away from her thoughts by her name being called from down the hallway, almost as an instant reaction her head turned to see Baroness Flight making her way down the hallway.

"Baroness Taylor! How are you doing today?" Roseline smiled at the older woman, waiting for her to catch up with her and closing her mouth quickly when she realised that the Baroness hadn’t finished, and refreshed the smile on her lips.

"It has been quite a time since we last spoke." She finished finally as she closed the short distance between the two women.

“It has indeed Baroness!” Roseline said happily, “and, I am quite fine today. The winter’s weather simply bores me slightly,” She answered with a smile, allowing her eyes to drift towards the window.

“And how are you Baroness? I do hope that the day has treated you well.” She said happily smoothing out a crease in her light-pink and cream dress.

((ooc;; Sorry it took a while Fayre… and sorry it’s a bit short. ))
#1187 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 7:05 PM
((Not a problem funheart and its not too short don't worry!))

"Oh one cannot complain," Mercy smiled and placed her hand on her cheek Ouch! Still sore. "I had a pleasant lunch with the Queen and baid fair well to the Duchess who is sadly no longer with us." She looked at Roseline "I do know what you mean about winter weather and may I say that is a beautiful dress my dear Baroness the colour suits your complection perfectly."

Mercy reflected that this young woman was a similar age to the one she had eaten with not too long agoand yet they were so very different, the Queen was so adult and resigned to her situation whilst Roseline was young and free and had her entire life ahead of her with more time to decide what she wanted. So different and yet so young....
#1188 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 7:05 PM
((OOC: Just a friendly note. I am waiting to hear from a couple people regarding changes made to the RP when it goes to a new thread. So the new thread may not be made today. I do not however wish to delay night time any more. So this is a friendly note that I plan to call night seven hours or so. Naturally you can wrap up your afternoon activities after I do, but still, thought I'd give a heads up. At this point I think we will continue the day in this RP. Hopefully come morning time I will have heard from everyone and the new thread will be posted with the new day.
Thanks!))
#1189 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 8:11 PM
((Thanks for the heads up shenan))
#1190 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 1:47 AM
This post is for everyone to read! I know it's long, but please, take the time to read it. I promise it won't take as long as it took me to type it!

I have talked with everyone, I've gotten helpful thoughts and comments as well. Like I said earlier, I've decided to wait a bit longer (still hoping to hear from you GeeWay!) before posting the new thread. I figured if delaying it a few days makes for a healthier RP in the end, it was worth it. I'm determined that the new day will start with the new thread.

The generals of the game mechanics will stay the same. I won't be expecting you guys to read through the super long first post explaining the rules. But in this post I want to give you a summery of the changes. Because those you'll need to know.

When thinking about it, the first thing that really grabbed my attention is that the only way an advisor was to be chosen, was for the RP to die. Literally it was the last man standing won. I personally, don't like RPs that are required to die to be fullfilled. I've given it a lot of thought, and I decided that changing how the whole aspect of Advisor was handled was the best solution. Here's what I eventually came up with.

Quote:
Gaining the Prize
Once your character has been a Duc or a Duchess for four RP days, you are eligible to be appointed Advisor. Once you are eligible, you must get the Queen or the Princess to suggest you be appointed to the King. Once they make the suggestion, the King (a randomizer) will decide if he agrees. If the King does not agree to appoint you, you must wait another four RP days before the suggestion can be given again.

If the King does appoint you, congratulations, you’re the new advisor. As the advisor you now have the King’s ear and will be able to give suggestions just as the Queen and the Princess do. It’s time to pay back all those who helped you get to where you are.

However, just because you’ve gotten the position does not mean you’re safe, or the game is over. If the king was to find out about a major scandal of yours, you will be fired and demoted to the level of a Comte. The position becomes open again for someone else to enjoy their moment of fame. If you become the advisor and are not active for two RP days,(roughly a month real time) a new advisor may be appointed.

The only people not eligible for the advisor position is The Queen, The Princess, and Mercy. My reasoning being that they already have the King's ear.

One problem has already been pointed out to me, and I welcome any thoughts on filling the loop hole.
Say a person was appointed, their major scandal was told and they were fired. They worked their way back up to Duc and got appointed once again. There's now no way for that person to get fired. We need to figure out a work around that. I don't really want the Queen and the Princess to have the power to fire them, because that makes them ultimately more powerful than the advisor, and I want the advisor to be equal to the two royal ladies.

The other major change deals with scandals. A current downside is that our poor Mercy Flight ran out of juicy gossip. It's no fun blackmailing people with the same info over and over. So here's what I came up with for that.

Quote:
Scandals
A scandal can be either a minor scandal or a major scandal. (These are considered levels.)
Minor Scandals: These scandals have to do with flirtations, having relations with a commoner, dueling, and blackmail. If a scandal of this nature reaches the King’s ear, the character will be demoted one rank, and/or given a “morality fine” of 50,000 livres.
Major Scandals: These scandals have to do with infidelity, murder, treason and stealing from the King. If this type of scandal reaches the King’s ear, you are guaranteed banishment from court. (Members of the Royal family are the only ones exempt from this rule.)

When a new character enters the RP they are required to begin with a scandal. These are referred to as given scandals. The level of the given scandal depends on their title and rank. During the RP new scandals are sure to be born. These are referred to as created scandals. All these scandals, both given and created will be put into a scandals database. A created scandal will only stay in the database for one RP week, given scandals stay in there indefinitely. Each round (1 RP day) a randomizer will be ran and a scandal chosen. This scandal will make its way to the ear of Mercy Flight.

So now what your characters do in game can very well affect their climb up the ladder. But RPed scandals (created scandals) only stay in the database a short time compared to the ones your character begins with. This encourages people to take a risk, maybe their scandal will never be found out.

So... while I do ask you please don't post "Those changes suck!" reply, as I have spent a lot of time dwelling on them, I do gladly welcome your thoughts and suggestions before making them official changes for the new thread. Once the new thread is posted, we will be welcoming new courtiers.

Oh, also... is there any rooms you'd like added to the palace when it's updated. Due to this winter weather I'll be adding the orangery so nicely pointed out to me earlier, and an indoor room for activities like fencing. If there's anything else you'd like to see, please let me know.

*clears throat*

With that all said....
It is now night time at court!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1191 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 2:23 PM
Default Octavien
(((ooc: Sorry for taking so long. It's kind of difficult to RP with oneself. Though I'm glad to see that my two dear co-players at least had the decency to apologize.
Oh, wait... They didn't.
GeeWay - proven wrong I was not. Proven right, however; very much so.)))

Apparently, Octavien had gotten his point across. Judging by the complete silence from the couple on the bed, they found nothing to say to oppose him, nor were they willing to agree with the points he had made. Silence was all they had to offer.
Well then. At least they now knew where they had each other. Silvius didn't like Octavien any more than Octavien liked him, and Adalita... Adalita was very far from what she had wanted Octavien to believe. Her gentle, understanding and agreeable nature on the wedding day had been nothing but a facade, plain and simple. Octavien would now know better than to trust her. He would know better than to even hope he ever could.
Their choice had been made. The three of them would not be allies.
And that was just all the more reason for Octavien to provide them with his solution, so that they would have no reason not to be discreet. Granted, they had shown no talent for discretion before, but this... This even the dullest of minds would manage. Unless, of course, their sole reason for staining both Adalita's and Octavien's reputations, was to displease Octavien. But, if that would turn out to truly be the case, they would soon realize that when Octavien had said he could be their worst enemy, he had meant every word. He had given them more than a fair chance, and he was just about to give them another. But this was their last one. If from now on, they would continue to make Octavien look like a fool, Octavien would return the favour.
And he would come out smelling like a rose in the process.

"Well then", he said, after having given them a chance to reply, should they have had something to say. "It seems, Duc, that I have to point out what, in part, should be obvious to you; considering the circumstances, you are a very lucky man. You are the lover of a young beautiful woman whose husband doesn't mind, and thus you get to keep your head despite your less than subtle affair. But not only that. You also happen to live in one of the suites just below hers."

As his last words rang out into the otherwise silent room, his hand slipped under the mantle piece, found the small iron lever he knew would be there, and pulled it, while taking a step forward to allow the trapdoor - a bookcase right next to the fireplace - to swing open, revealing a secret passage.
Octavien had spent the entire morning looking for one in his suite, knowing that if there was one in his room, there would be one in Adalita's as well. He had been determined to find it, for if the two of them were not clever enough, or concerned enough, to think of a safer way to have their little affair, it was up to him to provide them with one. Now, they would have no reason not to be discreet. They wouldn't even have a reason to be seen together, and cause bothersome rumours to flourish in court.

"Since neither of you seem capable of discretion", Octavien said, "I took it upon myself to help. I trust that this will prove most useful to you, as do I trust that from now on, I will not have to hear anything further regarding my wife's appalling lack of proper manners."

With that, Octavien turned from the fireplace, and with a final disdainful glance at the two, left Silvius' suit to return to his own.

(((ooc: And if someone's thinking this is all too convenient; castles of pretty much any era tend to have secret passages, not only for escape and secret water holes, but between the royal suites and the suites below them as well. It was a way for the King to have easy access to his main mistress; all he had to do was place her in the suite below his own, and they could sneak back and forth between eachother's suites whenever they felt like it. And, I was not the one to draw up the Palace map. eternal did that, and she placed Silvius in the suite just below the Princess'.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1192 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 3:06 PM
Roseline sighed slightly at the dimming light outside of the window in the hallway. She would have to depart from Mercy’s company all too soon, but it would be nice to get to know the older woman a little better. She had been nothing but fully polite and proper, around Roseline at least, and her reputation as the Court Gossip didn’t fully portray her in the right light. To her, the woman standing before her, mirroring the smile that was on her own lips, was nothing but courteous – not the ‘out for gossip and nothing else’ woman the Court that the Palace said she was.

"Oh one cannot complain," Mercy smiled slightly, moving her hand to her cheek and flinching slightly, causing a frown to appear on Roseline’s brow of worry. "I had a pleasant lunch with the Queen and bade fair well to the Duchess who is sadly no longer with us. I do know what you mean about winter weather and may I say that is a beautiful dress my dear Baroness the colour suits your complexion perfectly."

Roseline’s smile widened at Mercy’s compliment, and looked down at herself. She hadn’t thought of the dress, and hardly had gone through her outfits looking for it, but it was still a wonderful thing to say, what woman could stay bitter at a compliment she didn’t know.

“Thank you dear Baroness.” She replied, pausing for a moment, “The setting sun indicates that we must sadly part soon,” She stopped again, still slightly worried about the woman, “I do hope that you’re okay though, Baroness?” She asked, another crease appearing over her brow in worry.

((ooc;; It sounds fantastic, Shenan Don't worry at all - you've put so much thought into it, it'll be great ...

Atropa.. Thanks for the info The Court really was rife with scandals wasn't it! xP ))
#1193 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 4:39 PM
"I fear you are right, life int he court must quieten down at night, for all but a select few." Mercy smiled back, "and yes I'm fine, i had slight misfortune with a quite expensive vase, that involved me falling flat on my face, what can I say? I can be a clumsly old woman at times," she sort to quell the worry in the woman's eyes, she had to admit she was touched, these two women she had been comparing both seemed to care, the Baroness was of course warmer about, but she could be, they were equals socially which meant concern could be given on a more even basis with no worry as to the social ettiquette of dealing with an inferirior as the Queen had to. "However before we do part I insist you must call me Mercy, we are equals after all."
#1194 Old 25th Jan 2008 at 3:52 PM
Default Isabella & Octavien - Isabella's Salon
((OOC: Ha ha ha Fayreview... Be glad I'm Shenanigans, the friendly mom and not Isabella. lol She'd have your head for that.
Atropa... I do doubt Octavien would have any problems with how I portrayed him here, but as always, if there's anything you wish me to change, please do let me know. I'm afraid I start Godmodding him more and more the longer they're involved.))

Isabella lingered in her Salon for a brief while, moving to an armchair once the servants came to clean up the table she had dined at. Her lunch with Mercy had been pleasant, though not as productive as the one prior. Still she hoped to continue the habit of meeting with her often, as there was just something comforting about their meetings. Although something she had said before they parted kept resonating in her mind. “I shall congratulate you on the elimination of the obstacle that helped bring down the previous Queen..” Isabella was certain it was the Duchess Marie she spoke of. However the whole “bringing down” baffled her a little.

As her mind roamed in thought, her eyes roamed the room. Before long they settled upon the grand harpsichord. Instinctively a delighted smile came upon her lips, her eyes practically sparkling with memories of the night before and anticipation of the one that lay ahead of her. She quickly rose and made her way to her suite to prepare for the evening.

It took the usual hours to change into an evening dress. She had instructed her servants that she wished to have her hair simple despite their opinions. She had no need for elaborate updos when she was certain it would end up in shambles once the night was deep. Isabella had always been a supporter of simple elegance, despite the widening dress trend of the time.
Before she left for her nightly musical lesson, she asked Margret one thing. “Has the Marquess come for me this afternoon?”
“He has not my lady.” She answered simply.
“Good, perhaps he has left. If he should come calling for me tonight, inform him that an urgent matter of state came up and I was drug out of my bed to tend to it.”

Once Margret had expressed her compliance Isabella left her suite heading towards her salon. The thoughts of the night before fresh in her mind. It had been a night like any other for her in that she felt she had indeed allowed all the walls that have protected her for so long crumble around her feet. As the Salon doors were opened for her, she saw him standing in the room, looking as handsome as always. It seemed to have taken him just a slight bit of a second longer to realize the doors were opening, as usually when she walked through he was already looking towards them, anticipating her arrival. It seemed this time his thoughts had him distracted.

If he was distracted, he seemed to push it out of his mind quickly as he looked upon her. The light in his eyes matched her own, it was as if they were each other’s relief from the day behind them. “Prompt as always Prince.” She said with a hint of tease in her voice. It had been a statement for the ears of the servants who were now closing the doors behind her.

Every previous night they met in her Salon, the night had begun with looks given, innuendos made. It was a game that she had enjoyed immensely. Each one of them having their will of restraint tested. However tonight, she did not wish to begin their time that way.

Instead she slowly strolled to him, her eyes concentrated on his own. It was as if she was slowly being pushed to him. A slow approach she hoped filled him with anticipation. As soon as she got close enough, his arms wrapped around her instinctively, her arms under his own, her hands taking their place on the back of his shoulders. They shared a kiss so deep and slow that it was almost as if there had been no day separating them from now and their night before. As their kiss broke she slowly opened her eyes to look upon his face. “Hello.” Came her playful voice.

Having had her hunger satisfied, she slowly backed away from him, walking to perch on the arm of a chair. “I heard you play this morning. The melody was absolutely beautiful.” Her brow piqued as if to ask what he had been visioning when he played it. "It was quite forceful."
#1195 Old 25th Jan 2008 at 5:00 PM
((Hey ya'll just to tell funheart i added a post up there, and to tell shenan i know I'm lucky!!!!))
Field Researcher
#1196 Old 25th Jan 2008 at 6:39 PM
Lilian examined her temporary accomodation.
It was pleasant enough, she had slept in grander, being a princess, but it would do nicely.
She began to change into her night dress, letting out a sigh of relief as she removed her corset.
It took a while, as she had to remove many layers of petticoats and underdresses but eventually she was changed.
It suddenly struck her that she was rather hungry, but it would be most improper to leave her room in a nightdress. She bit her lip and considered her options, she could spend a great deal of time re-dressing, or she could make a mad dash to the hallway in her nightdress.
After much consideration, she decided on the second option.
She darted out into the hallway and leaned over the stairwell.
'Excuse me' She called nervously 'Excuse me, but might I have something to eat?'
She stood back, looking over her shoulder nervously.

((Approachable))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1197 Old 26th Jan 2008 at 1:58 AM
Default Octavien & Isabella - Isabella's salon
(((ooc: Of course I got there first, GeeWay, considering my reply was already here for you to see before you started typing yours. Nice try though.)))

Upon returning to his suite to change clothes before his 'lesson' with Isabella, Octavien was quite pleased with himself. He had finally put what he hoped would be an end to Adalita's blatant disrespect of him, and given both her and Silvius some things to think about. With a little luck, they would come to realize just what they stood to gain from not angering Octavien any further. He hadn't lied or even exaggerated when he'd said that he could be a most useful ally. He already had been, despite their complete lack of loyalty. He had provided them with a way of seeing each other without having to try to be very discreet. Or rather, without even having to pretend to try and be discreet, and failing miserably. They could now spend every night and every day in each other's arms if that was what they wanted, and the rest of the court would be none the wiser. And if it turned out that they still gave people something to talk about, by not keeping their affection behind locked doors? Well, then Octavien's gloves would be coming off. He may not be as experienced when it came to scheming as some of the other courtiers were, but that was mostly due to lack of need, rather than ability.
He would not be made a fool, especially not for all the wrong reasons. 'You've already ruined my life here and taken away the woman I most held dear'. Thinking of the words the Duc had spoken to him, Octavien couldn't help but to give slight snort to himself. He understood why the man would dislike him - it was only natural after all - but to accuse him of ruining his life?
How ridiculous. Octavien was hardly the cause of the Duc's current situation, he was merely the result of the choices the Duc himself had made. The Duc, and Adalita. Much like Octavien had told them both, he had very little to do with Adalita's pregnancy, and he was hardly the reason why the Duc had chosen to earn himself such a poor reputation. And he certainly hadn't forced the Duc to spend a night in Baroness Taylor's suite, when he was supposed to be 'in love' with Adalita. Even if they had done nothing, like he claimed, it was a bad choice. In fact, it was even worse than if they had done something, for not only would he have jeopardized a good woman's reputation for nothing, he would also have given Adalita a slap in the face for nothing. If he really did care for her, which Octavien doubted, he wouldn't have done what people had seen him do, and risk hurting her.
But of course, it was much simpler to blame a third party - Octavien - than to cope with the fact that errors had been made on your own part, and to take responsibility for them.
Yes. 'Ridiculous' was the word.

With a little help from Gilles and the other servants, Octavien emerged from his royal suite half an hour after returning there, now wearing a cream colored ensemle with gold thread embroideries, and his hair kept out of his young, handsome face by a silk ribbon, as always.
Once in Isabella's salon, he didn't have to wait long before the doors leading to her suite opened, and yet his thoughts had already managed to drift off to a distant place. The culprit; one of the paintings on the wall, of a meadow sprinkled with flowers, basking in the warm summer sun. It reminded him of one of his favorite places back home, one where he used to dismount his horse, and let it graze freely while he himself laid back in the grass to watch the sky. It was such a peaceful place, where each buzzing bumblebee and every small gust of wind would draw the troubles from your mind, and leave you in a blissful, carefree existence. Until your mother would decide to send your older brother to shatter the peace.
Octavien couldn't but to wonder how his mother would react when she got the news; her youngest son, sent off to the court to learn a thing or two about 'real life', now Prince of the entire kingdom. Ah, she would never forgive him for marrying without her there to attend the wedding.

Those were the disturbing thoughts that Isabella kindly freed him from, simply by entering the room. His head had been first to turn, and as she slowly strode towards him, the rest of his body followed. Their gazes had locked instantly, and he knew that the joy he saw in her eyes, was evident in his own as well.

"Prompt as always Prince", she said as the doors started closing behind her, and drew a smile from his lips.

One that widened ever so slightly when he caught the twinkle in her eyes, the one that told him that she had no intention of stopping until she had taken the place in his arms that had come to seem as though it had been carved specially for her. Once in his embrace, their lips met in a long slow kiss, so very different from the ones that usually took them down that inevidable path after hours of playing games and toying with words. Where usually there was lust and sizzling heat, there was now soft affection, a warmth and a trust, that reminded him of what had been shared in his bed the night before.
When Isabella withdrew to look at him, Octavien nearly followed in the motion, reluctant to let her go so soon. Much like last night, what she now allowed him to see was something he wished to explore. But as it seemed she had something on her mind, he resisted, and simply offered her an amused smile when she gazed up at him and gave her playful greeting.

"Hello."

"Indeed", Octavien smirked and released her from his embrace when her body language signalled that she was about to back away.

As she slowly made her way over to a chair, and sat gracefully on it's arm, Octavien remained standing at first, but then followed just as slowly as she looked at him once again.

"I heard you play this morning", she said. "The melody was absolutely beautiful. It was quite forceful."

Tilting his head slightly to the side, as if trying to remember what it was he had played, it was barely a second before his eyes briefly narrowed, at the memory of what - or who - it was that had been his inspiration for those 'forceful' parts. Two people that he hoped would not be the cause of such frustration anymore.
But, there had also been her. His inspiration for the parts that had been gently flowing and dreamy, everything that the rest was not.

"An improvisation", he said, as he started to recall the melody. "Rather than letting my emotions get the better of me, I tend to use them for inspiration."

However, as he didn't wish for Adalita and Silvius to darken the evening like they had darkened the day, he quickly moved on by changing the subject to something that had struck him as a bit peculiar, once he'd gotten a chance to reflect on it, when it was no longer being pushed aside by the issue of his wife and her lover.

"I had the briefest of conversations with Baroness Flight today", he said, and finally sat down himself, on the comfortable stool by the harpsichord. "An intriguing woman. Though I have yet to speak more than just a few words to her, as it seems she is always in a hurry. She did, however, before she rushed off, happen to mention that she was to have lunch with none other than the Queen herself."

This time, it was his turn to quirk a brow in silent question, as they both knew of Mercy's reputation, and were both intelligent to understand and appreciate the power she had. And she had mentioned her dislike towards a certain meddlesome Duchesse; a dislike that she shared not only with Octavien (although unknowingly), but also Isabella. One could only imagine what could spring from such a common ground.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1198 Old 26th Jan 2008 at 3:58 AM
“Hello.” She said merrily as their eyes locked once again. An almost shy smile upon her lips. It had been a greeting not like any they had before. She wondered how he would react to her forwardness, her change of what had become their own private game.

“Indeed.” Had been his simple reply, the grin upon his face communicating everything she wanted to know. She greatly enjoyed being in his arms, but she knew there were things that needed to be tended to first.
Primarily, her lesson.
She did indeed wish to become quite adept at the instrument, hoping to one day be half as good as her teacher was. And lingering in the comfort of his embrace was most detrimental to her learning anything at all.

As if knowing she was going to back away, Octavien let her go, his arms falling to his sides. She walked away slowly to a chair. His music on her mind. “I heard you play this morning.” she stated, recalling how she happened across his doors when leaving Edouard’s Study. “The melody was beautiful. It was quite forceful.” She complimented him.

He tilted his head ever so slightly, perhaps trying to recall just what he had played that morning. “An improvisation”, he stated. “Rather than letting my emotions get the better of me, I tend to use them for inspiration.” His statement made Isabella realize just how little of this charming man before her she knew about. Sure, she knew all about his devilish smile, his captivating eyes, and his charming ways. But she didn’t really know him. She didn’t know what made him tick, what kind of family he came from. Was he an only son or one of many? Suddenly Isabella wanted, nay longed to just sit with him and ask questions. What was his favorite food? His favorite color? What adventures had his youth given him?

But before she could ask, he briskly moved on to other matters. “I had the briefest of conversations with Baroness Flight today,” he began, as he sat on a stool. The mention of the baroness had gotten her attention, though not in an alarmed way. “She did, however, before she rushed off, happen to mention that she was to have lunch with none other than the Queen herself.” His brow was piqued and Isabella couldn’t help but to smile. He had mentioned her in the third person, something she found so very endearing.

Isabella fought fruitlessly to hold back a smile. Her eyes wandering around the room. “Yes, I do hear the Queen is a busy lady. It’s simply impossible to get a moment with her.” Isabella’s eyes returned to settle on Octavien. Seeing the look upon his face made her nearly break out in laughter. But, she managed to restrain it for the most part, allowing only quiet air to pass through her lips. She tilted her head back, forcing herself to behave.

“Yes, I did have lunch with the Baroness.” She had once again looked to him, now with sincerity in her voice. “You know, I used to avoid the woman like the plague. But then she proved to be most detrimental in making sure the Duc did not gain the crown. We have more in common, she and I, then most would think. She also gave me a little insight into our friend Duchesse Marie.", she continued. "It seems the Duchesse and the King go back a ways. The Duchess managed to do some harm to the Queen before me.” Isabella’s hand absentmindedly stroked the back of the chair. “I suppose that’s why she thought she could harm me as well.”

The words Marie had uttered echoed in Isabella’s mind. “Can I ask you a question?” Her brows rose, all seriousness was in her voice. “The Duchess stated that the most important thing I had to do was look beautiful…” Isabella clasped her hands, placing them on her lap, she took a deep breath before continuing. “Do you think she likes the look of me now?”

Isabella’s facade of seriousness finally cracked as she stood. She did so revel in moments when she was challenged and came through victorious. It was something that no matter how many times it happened, she never ceased to enjoy it. Maybe it made her cold, maybe it made her practical. Either way, she liked the view from where she stood.
Very much so.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#1199 Old 26th Jan 2008 at 5:03 PM
Default Octavien & Isabella - Isabella's salon
Mentioning the lunch that Baroness Flight had claimed she was to have with the Queen, Octavien studied Isabella's face for a reaction. He wasn't quite sure how she would take to his inquisitiveness. Would he catch a glimpse of displeasure in her eyes, or wouldn't she mind at all? He wasn't quite sure what to expect. While their 'friendship' had started to outgrow the bedroom, Isabella also struck him as the kind of woman who liked her secrets, and so perhaps his unspoken question would bother her?

It didn't seem like it did, for even though she had perked up at the mention of Baroness Flight, there was no sign of anything but amusement on her beautiful face. Had his question been a cause for annoyance, he trusted that she would've let him know. They had come that far, at least.
But no, the smile on Isabella's lips was nothing less than genuine, leading him to believe that either she truly didn't mind him taking a careful step into her daily life and not just remaining in her nightly one, or, the lunch with the Baroness had been perfectly innocent. Though to him, it was a bit more difficult to imagine. Even if it was just a friendly lunch, there was no doubt in his mind that it was a useful one.

"Yes, I do hear the Queen is a busy lady", Isabella replied as her gaze casually roamed the room and it seemed she struggled to hide a smile. "It’s simply impossible to get a moment with her."

Her eyes returned to lock with his, and it seemed that the amused smirk that had now returned to his lips was enough for her own to win the battle over her will. Her lips parted slightly, curving in the smile she had tried so hard to suppress.
However when next she spoke, her voice had turned sincere, although still carrying both lightness and mirth.

"Yes, I did have lunch with the Baroness", she said, her eyes still resting on Octavien's face. "You know, I used to avoid the woman like the plague. But then she proved to be most detrimental in making sure the Duc did not gain the crown."

Ah. So Octavien had indeed been right in thinking there was more to the association between Isabella and the Baroness, than simple friendship. They had been plotting together, to keep the Duc from being crowned Prince. Most interesting. It made Octavien all the more curious of what exactly it was about the Duc that had made two of the most powerful women in court turn against him. Surely it couldn't be his reputation alone. Judging by what Isabella had told Octavien when confessing to him that she had put a stop to Silvius marriage to Adalita, there was more to the story than just Silvius' poor reputation.
Octavien had thought it unwise to ask questions at the time, but now... Now he would just wait for the right moment to present itself. After all, if his own wife was consorting with a man that had managed to awaken such aversion in two women that Octavien thought rather highly of, he probably should take an interest in what the man had done, no?
The right time, however, was not now. After her statement about the Duc, Isabella had moved on quite swiftly, to another subject that piqued Octavien's interest.

"We have more in common, she and I, then most would think", she said. "She also gave me a little insight into our friend Duchesse Marie. It seems the Duchesse and the King go back a ways. The Duchess managed to do some harm to the Queen before me. I suppose that’s why she thought she could harm me as well."

That comment pretty much answered the question that had occured to Octavien this morning, when he had heard the announcement of the Duchess' banishment from the court; what her intentions with the note she had sent Isabella had been, and how their meeting over afternoon tea had gone. He didn't need the details to figure it out.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Isabella's voice had taken on yet another tone. Still serious, but now inquisitive as well. It immediately brought Octavien out of his thoughts, and he turned his slowly roaming gaze back to her, as if to say she had his full attention.

"The Duchess stated that the most important thing I had to do was look beautiful…", Isabella said, causing Octavien's eyebrows to shoot up in surprise over such a bold, blunt, and most of all foolish insult. "Do you think she likes the look of me now?"

With that she stood, and as a soft and highly amused chuckle made its way past Octavien's lips, she herself dropped her mask of gravity and allowed it to make way for what seemed like a rather smug smile. Not that anyone could blame her. The foolish Duchesse had chosen to go up against her, the Queen herself, and not only threaten her but insult her as well. She had been made to pay for it dearly. She had been taught the lesson she had deserved.

"The Duchesse, I'm afraid, is a woman whose reasoning I simply cannot understand", Octavien said, with eyes twinkling with mischief and appreciation. "Thus, I cannot even begin to imagine. I can only speak for myself, and I do have to say, Isabella... Victory becomes you. Very much."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#1200 Old 26th Jan 2008 at 8:56 PM
((OOC: "Echo"... echo... echo... echo... Where is everyone?!?
GeeWay, I see you haven't been on for a day, but please answer my PM as soon as you can. If you don't, I'll have to take my lack of hearing from you as my answer.
I have finished the new place maps, and I expect to be posting the new thread and new day tomorrow night! With that said...
*Big breath* Isabella's gonna kill me, but let the drama comense! ))

Isabella had stood, a rather satisfied smile upon her lips. As she ever so slowly made her way towards the harpsichord, she was very pleased as well by the words that Octavien spoke. “I can only speak for myself, and I do have to say, Isabella... Victory becomes you. Very much."

She returned her gaze to meet his own, her lips pursed together, her eyes shone with pleasure. She had truly begun to enjoy his company, far more than just in the night. She had begun to feel connected to him in a way that was far deeper than physical attraction alone. Ever since her moment of doubt the night before she felt as if he held a piece of her.

As her eyes lingered upon his own, she had once again begun to beckon him. To welcome his advances towards her. Igniting anticipation within herself of how their night was destined to end, in each other’s arms. But despite the pleasure that always brought, she reminded herself of the determination she had had just momentarily ago. A determination to do as they said they would, to make what began as their cover, legitimate. She wished to sit beside him, learning how to play the harpsichord.

Octavien had stood during her approach, her course was set for the musical instrument next to him. As she gathered her dress to one side, sitting on the stool, she spoke once again, her voice still light with the carefree tone it had lingered in since she entered the room. “What have you to teach me tonight?” she smiled upon him.

He soon took his place next to her, and they once again began a new lesson. Isabella listened and watched carefully as he both showed by example, and explained the flow of the piece to her. Octavien's able hands moved slowly across the keys, each movement pronounced as to be noticed.

Isabella watched them intently, purposing to memorize the movements. Then it was her turn. She placed her fingers in the position he had shown her. The first few times had been trying, but each time she had made a mistake Octavien’s gentle hands were there to guide her.

Time passed quickly, and after several attempts Isabella was just about to finish up a correct pass. Sure the notes had been slow and choppy, but they had been in the correct order at least. A smile came across her face, indeed she was getting the hang of it.

Just as she was about to finish, the doors to the Salon flew open. One of which had slammed into a side table, the vase upon it coming to a crash on the floor. The sudden unexpected noise startled Isabella enough to make her jump. The crash of the vase had brought her lesson to an abrupt halt. No sooner had her fingers jumped at the noise she heard a voice. His voice.

“Ahh, so finally I’ve found you.” As if frozen in place she closed her eyes, inhaling deeply. She wished she was not in this moment, not at this time.

“I’m sorry your Majesty.” A servant girl rushed in behind him, stumbling over her apology. “I tried to tell him you were busy…”

Federico interrupted the servant with his laugh. Isabella took another deep breath before turning on the bench away from the instrument.

“Oh, this explains a lot.” Federico bellowed. “Why Isabella, you never cease to amaze me.”

Isabella had brought herself to her feet during his tirade, “Marqess Berini” she began to address him, her authoritive tone was obviously forced. For whatever reason it did not come natural at this moment.

He did not allow her to finish her sentence before he continued on. “Oh Isabella! Why have I been demoted in your eyes? So far back as to a title?” he held his hands above his chest as if to portray her words had stabbed him. “Surely with all we’ve shared you could at least grant me the favor of remaining on a first name basis?”

Isabella wanted to scream at the man! To scold him for barging in on her like this. More so for being so inconsiderate when in the presence of another. She feared though if she did it would lower herself in the eyes of Octavien. She feared Federico’s tirade would damage their relationship enough, she did not want to add to it in any shape or form. Instead she motioned to the servant girl to go find reinforcements. Surely even a servant could see this scene needed defusing.

Federico slowly made strong strides forwards, coming closer to where she stood. His eyes had been upon Octavien, sizing him up if it were. “So, this is how a new Prince was chosen? I must say Isabella,” he now returned his eyes upon her, “the rewards for bedding you have significantly improved. So much so I feel cheated.”

Those words from his mouth had infuriated her so. Despite her position, despite knowing how a proper woman was to behave, she just couldn’t hold back the anger that had been building up since his very first word. “Federico!” she yelled, wishing immediately she could take it back. As she saw a satisfied grin come across his face her fingers curled into fists at her sides. “You assume much.” Her voice was low, her words dripping with venom, yet his forceful presence obviously left her uneasy.

“Do I?” his words had been coupled with a slight laugh of disbelief, he continued his stride towards her. The look in his eyes spoke volumes. He was not pleased with her, what he desired most was to force her into submission. Suddenly her view was blocked by Octavien who had swiftly placed himself in front of her. A barrier between the mad man and his intended prey.

For the first time in her life Isabella was at a loss as what to do. The act had been bold, defending her, reassuring her that he would not allow harm to fall upon her. At least for the moment he was there for her, she wondered if time to think about things would change his mind.

In whatever case, the act had been enough to cause Federico to stop his forward advance. At first caught a bit off guard, he quickly smiled despite Octavien’s glare. “Enjoy the ride while it lasts,” his voice was condescending, “Prince.”

Just then three rather large servants entered the room, Federico seemed to notice as he took a couple steps backwards to show he would be leaving willingly. He however had a few choice words left in his arsenal. Though his voice was jovial his words were devious. “Let me know when she’s had someone killed for you. Oh, and she’s rather ticklish in the small of her back.” he moved his eyes attempting to look over Octavien’s shoulder towards Isabella, “Aren’t you, Beautiful?”

Her eyes cringed shut and her body stiffened at the sound of his last word. It had cut her deeply, like adding salt onto an open wound. Her past had most definitely come back to haunt her. She damned him for treating her like a common milk maid, but damned herself more for her horrible lack of judgment. Just when she thought his tirade was finally done, Federico made one more comment as he walked out the door. “I wonder how the King will take to finding out the truth about his son in-law?”

His words had brought her attention immediately back to Octavien. He had protected her in a most noble way. However now that the threat was out of the room, would the words he had said sink in? Did Marqess Berini succeed in making Octavien think he was nothing more than just another one of her distractions?

She brought her stare back upon Octavien. Despite the fact that he was facing away from her, she could tell there was something fierce racing through his veins. His muscles were stiff, his stance firm and his stare seemed to linger at the door Federico just passed through. She wondered what he thought as he stood in front of her. Was his obvious displeasure solely aimed at Federico, or did some of it have her name on it as well? Either way, how could she possibly defuse it?

She lifted her hands to rest them on the back of his shoulders, as if gently reminding him she was there. Her lips moved uttering a silent thank you, as she was unable to force air through her vocal cords. She needed some sign, anything to put her mind to rest. As he slowly began to turn, her hands withdrew, coming together, clasped neatly in front of her. Her eyes looked upon him in anticipation. What would his face reveal to her?

Page 48 of 49