Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 5:53 PM
Default How should I fix my storage problem?
I've always had two hard drives on my desktops. One of them has the OS and all the programs on it. The other one has my personal files on it.

When I got my new computer last year, I decided to get a SSD for my OS/programs drive. I thought 120GB would be enough, but it's not. I've been running on less than 10 free gigabytes for a while and it's been fine. But last night I got Sims 4 and now I need to decide what to do.

My first thought was to get a 240GB SSD and clone the old one on to it. (Keep in mind I don't know how to clone a drive, I'll either have to learn how to do that or pay someone to do it.) Then I thought maybe I should be a second 120GB SSD and put Sims 4 (and probably move Sims 3) onto it. The second option would be cheaper, but I've never had two hard drives that both have programs on them. Would the second solution work as good as the first? Or maybe is there another solution that's even better that I haven't thought of?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Dec 2014 at 4:29 AM
What programs do you have on your current 120GB SSD?

It's more cost effective I think to get the 240GB SSD. Just like you I had a 128GB SSD at first, for almost a year, and quickly found that it was small. I have a 240GB now and it filled up quickly too.

I backed up all my steam games, uninstalled steam, and installed it onto the traditional hard drive. That way all the incomplete games I'm currently downloading will download there instead of onto my SSD. That saves a ton of space.

If you have FRAPS, do the same thing with that.

You can also have origin specify where to download the installers you download.

All my other games, non essential programs also go onto the traditional hard drive. Also make sure you don't have many files on your desktop, since those are stored on your SSD. You can have shortcuts, but avoid actual files.