Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 3:02 AM
People have been either pro-AMD/ATI or pro-Nvidia for years and and have claimed one is better than the other in equal amounts, but really it boils down to anecdotal experiences. They are both equal in reliability in my opinion and when I buy, I tend to buy according to which card has the better performance per dollar at the moment I'm buying. AMD tends to be a bit cheaper and bit less performing, while Nvidia is a bit more expensive and a bit better performing. But only a bit.

Take a look at the link you provided. In this case I would choose the AMD since for only $10 extra you get more performance than the GTX 650. The R7 260X performs just under a GTX 650 Ti Boost and so its price should normally match a GTX 650 Ti Boost or be $10 or so less. But it's at the same price as a regular GTX 650!

AMD has really good cards at a really good price right now. If your brother wants to stick to Nvidia, that's totally fine. There's no point in getting an AMD now because if something happens to the card (which is possible with both AMD and Nvidia) he'll just say "I told you so!".

I have an Nvidia GTX 670 which is an amazing card. Right now at the $350 price point the Nvidia GTX 770 (which replaces the GTX 670) is the best buy for your money. But at the $150 price point the AMD R7 260X is the best performance per dollar spent.

I would say if you're going to buy at around $150, either get an Nvidia card and be prepared to pay a bit more for performance now, or wait until Nvidia launches new cards to fight against AMD. New cards should be available for purchase around mid 2014 or late 2014.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:03 PM
We don't really have experience with either brand, aside from what has been in whatever computer we buy (I think typically AMD or Intel, not really sure). My brother just wants to find a card that will work, regardless of AMD/Nvidia/whatever brand. Any opinion that my brother has was made from the reviews left on the cards he was looking at, and not from personal experience. Alot of people were saying that the AMD/ATI cards are currently using BETA drivers that are unstable. Some people said the card(s) work, but the majority said the cards don't work right (and are basically having the trouble I'm having with my computer). If the AMD cards are good, he won't mind getting one if the price/performance is good, same goes for Nvidia. I've had a lot of trouble with my computer, and I just want it fixed (so does he, because I tend to let him use it when I'm not). Currently, the only game I can play is Spider Solitaire (on my computer) and Words with Friends (on Facebook). There are a few other game sites I can use (GaiaOnline and some similar), but only so long as they aren't up long and I don't have more than a couple pages up at one time.... It's frustrating...
Scholar
#28 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 8:15 AM
As long as you're not using Windows 8, the r7 260x is your best option imo. If you're willing to wait a few months, Nvidia is coming out with new cards too.

Page 2 of 2