Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 12:21 PM
Default Graphics card & mo
So after almost a year, I've got everything settled to get a new desktop.
Specs are:
Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM

Unfortunately, i'm having trouble with the graphics card. Is Nvidia GT 640 sufficient for the base game + late night, generations, supernatural, seasons, university life and maybe island paradise or into the future?

I do not need high settings or even medium to high settings. I mean, i've played it on computers with no graphic cards at all, didn't bother me. Basically, as long as it runs okay-ish, and doesn't damage the desktop, I don't mind. I have a complete phobia of computers dying because it's happened to me 3 times. What matters is that the computer doesn't get damaged because of the game and the components won't get fried etc.

Also I have a question about replacing graphics cards and getting a new power supply. I'm going to have to do both. You can replace the graphics card of any desktop as long as it has the PCI express slot right? And for power supply, any prerequisites for that? And would it cost a lot of money to pay somebody to put it together for me? because I am 14 and have no ability to do it myself.
As for the RAM, it can be upgraded right, because there are 2 DIMM slots, one used?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 11:58 AM
GT640 is OK for medium setting (Still cannot max) but I don't recommend it because it has poor performance per dollar.
For lot of expansions and max graphics setting and 1080p monitor , GTX650ti boost / HD7850 is enough.
For lower resolution such as 720p or 768p HD7770 is OK.

Power Supply if you have 500w (full) then OK .
Graphics card place in PCIE slot right.
For RAM depend on Motherboard . some mobo has 2 DIMM , some 4 , if you have 2 DIMM and one is in used then you can place another RAM to empty slot.