Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 8:35 AM
Default Scroll Wheel Substitute
I don't have a scroll wheel. Is there an alternative way to use the fine-control to get my terrain sculpting brush smaller?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I don't have a scroll wheel. Is there an alternative way to use the fine-control to get my terrain sculpting brush smaller?

Buy a new mouse?
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 5:16 PM
I am using the one I have as it's about the only one that doesn't end up hurting my hand and shoulder. It's a trackball, logitech marble. I have no idea why logitech didn't see fit to add a wheel. The thing is I can lock scroll on it, using the extra buttons, for reading web pages, but The Sims doesn't recognise that mode.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#4 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I am using the one I have as it's about the only one that doesn't end up hurting my hand and shoulder. It's a trackball, logitech marble. I have no idea why logitech didn't see fit to add a wheel. The thing is I can lock scroll on it, using the extra buttons, for reading web pages, but The Sims doesn't recognise that mode.

Oh yes, I had one of those as well, but then my hand stopped aching and the mouse was a pain in itself, so I ditched the mouse. Sorry I can't help you
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 9:33 PM
I have a trackball as well. I had to plug in a second mouse to access the scroll wheel. Have the same problem in World of Warcraft. It's a pain but I'm not giving up my beloved mouse. Terrain tool is really amazing, I just wish they had made smallest setting smaller.
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 10:12 PM
Heh that's what I've ended up doing - ordered a cheap spare mouse just for its wheel. I have also tweeted SGNick asking for a keyboard alternative.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marjia
I have a trackball as well. I had to plug in a second mouse to access the scroll wheel. Have the same problem in World of Warcraft. It's a pain but I'm not giving up my beloved mouse. Terrain tool is really amazing, I just wish they had made smallest setting smaller.

(Sorry for not having a solution to the Sims problem)
My mom never uses a mouse, only her trackpad so I went into WoW's setting and made it so everything using the scroll wheel would use - and +, could be a fix for that!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vampiresam9097
(Sorry for not having a solution to the Sims problem)
My mom never uses a mouse, only her trackpad so I went into WoW's setting and made it so everything using the scroll wheel would use - and +, could be a fix for that!

Yeh I changed the keybind for zoom in WOW. Thanks.
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 8:33 AM
There are no in-game keyboard bindings in Sims, but I could look for a config file. Currently +,-,x and z are all interpreted as zoom, even when using the terrain tools. The trouble with scroll wheel is software can usually tell the difference and checks the mouse movement directly. It's worth a look I guess

Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 2:30 PM
I guess I am a bit lost in this thread in not understanding how there is a problem. Buy a new mouse. My mouse has a track ball and a scroll wheel. Logitech. Have had it for a couple years.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ksstrek
I guess I am a bit lost in this thread in not understanding how there is a problem. Buy a new mouse. My mouse has a track ball and a scroll wheel. Logitech. Have had it for a couple years.

Do you have a link?
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 8:00 PM
The problem is that I have tried several mice and trackballs, and the logitech marble is the only one the right shape for my hand without having to try and stretch too far backwards with one of my fingers or thumb and without having to strain to stop my hand slipping off it.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 11:45 PM
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 9:05 AM
Yep, I had one almost identical and Peter still does. It was lovely until my thumbjoint started growing bone spurs - which admittedly took about a year but after that I could no longer use my thumb for the ball. The lump is still there... But of all the trackballs I have tried, only Logitech seem to understand my hand shape.

Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 6:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGrNG_6LurI

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d=3PL3HAB7QG39G

I am using the logictech M570 now, and I like it and find it comfortable for hours of gameplay. I also used to have the Kensington like the one at the top of the amazon page and I liked that one as well but had to replace it with the logictech I am using now because the Kensington was a few years old and while it worked with my older computer it didn't work with my new one since the mouse software couldn't be sufficiently update. Most of the trackball mice on this page have scroll wheels-- some of them sit vertically and some are horizontal around the ball itself. I love my trackball mouse and would never go back to one without a trackball.

BTW I bought mine at Staples and have also seen them at Target
Field Researcher
#17 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Have you ever tried one like this @Inge Jones ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-W...gitech+Trackman

That is the one I use and have a US link for it in my reply. It is a pretty sturdy mouse. Works great still even after having been knocked on the floor multiple times by the grandchild and the cats.
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 12:21 PM
I wanted to try one of the Elecom trackballs, but although they are made in all sizes, I can only find large and extra large to actually buy.