Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 11:18 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 5th Aug 2006 at 6:36 PM. Reason: ancient thread, updated info
Default Hair Mesh Tutorial???
I would really like to try to learn how to import and export hair meshes...I've tried WDS Brianna's Clothing tUtorial but with hair and it hasn't worked...is there one or could someone who's made hair make a tutorial or explain what from WDS Briannia's tutorail is different??? If so thank you.

----
Tiggerypum edits in:

This thread from over a year ago was revived. I'm locking it.
There are now multiple detailed (and current) tutorials for body meshing, and one to guide through the beginning of changing a hair mesh. There's also articles in the InfoCenter with further information about hair. The tutorial area and infocenter/faq area are at the top of the

Bodyshop - Meshing Forum

That's Hot
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 11:33 PM
I created a hair mesh using the exact same tut...the only diff...in step 4 there will be 5 or 6 files for property set instead of the 1 in the tut. Depending on which age you want to edit choose accordingly: afhair----- means adult female or am (adult male), cfhair (child), if you see grey in the end of the name that's obviously elder. If you want to edit the mesh for all ages then follow step four for each file...if you only want to edit for one, then choose only follow step 4 for whatever age file, child, teen, adult, etc. I wish I had only done step 4 for the adult female, but I did it for all the files and didn't edit each of their meshes therefore the one mesh looks horrible on the infant-teen...but I'll fix it later so that if someone has kids, they won't have a baby with an invisible headhump, lol.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 11:40 PM
I dunno if that makes sense, but I hope it helps. In fact the only thing a lil complicated about it would be creating the desired shape for the mesh and making it look suitable on the sim. It is very easy if you follow the get a basic understanding of what the tut is saying so you can find your won way of doing it and naming the files eventually.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 12:55 AM
thank you very much for replying ill try that now i read in there soime where about not exporting vertisiles or something like that for hair...whats that???
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 11:05 AM
Hey, I wanted to make a tut for creating hairs. But before i write it i need to continue the steps by creating a second hair mesh.

here is what i got so far.if there are some errors in it, please tell me:

First you need the GMDC, GMND, SHPE and CRES files from an existing hair mesh

they are saved in the Sims03, 04, 05 and 06 files

1. Open SimPE and open the Sims03package. Go to NameMap and search out the hair you wanna modifie. for example "tfhaircornrowslong_tslocator_gmdc"

"tf" means teen female

2. Copy the instance and paste it into the instance filter. Then go to Geometric Data container and you should see one file there. Extract it and do not forget to delete the instance out of the distance filter.

3. Do the same for GMND, SHPE and CRES.

4. Open SimPE and create a new package. (Data/New)

5.import all four extracted files into your new package. Save it into your Downloadfolder. for example "MESH_yournameanddate"

6. click on fix intigry and insert the filename exactly like before in the new window ("MESH_yournameanddate"). Then klick on ADD. The old filename should be still in the name of the file.

"MESH_yournameanddate__tfhaircornrowslong_tslocator_gmdc"

save

7. Extract new copies of your resource node and shape into your project folder. Name them modifiedcres and modifiedshape so you can tell them from the originals.

8. Open Bodyshop and choose the hair you want to alter. It should be similar somewhat to what you would like to end up with

Name the file and import it to your game (tooltip don't matter right now). Close bodyshop.

9.Open the new file you've made with bodyshop. (it should be in your EAgames\Savedsims folder)

10.insert the modified CRES and SHPE files into the package.

11. Go to the 3D ID Referencing File (3IDR). In the plugin view tab, you will see a button that says package. Click it. A window will pop up.

12. Drag your shape and resource node from the popup window into the list on the left. You will now have two shapes and two resource nodes.

13. Click on the resource node at the top (the one marked [userfile]) and delete it. Click on the shape at the top (the one marked [userfile]) and delete it.

14. Move YOUR shape and resource node up to the top (resource node first, shape second).

15. Click commit. (If you can't see the commit button - resize your window, it likes to hide.

16. Delete the shape and resource node from the PACKED FILES window. (They were added in step 10, just to make changing the reference easier, and we don't need them in this file anymore.) Then Save your file.

The other things are the same like in this tutorial. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43092

I wanna thank WDS BriAnna for her wonderful tutorial and i hope its ok that i have pasted some steps from her tutorial into mine.

diablight
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:01 PM
Excellent! Even *I* understood those steps.
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 10:04 PM
what do you mean by sims03, 04, 05, and 06 files? the only thing i pulled up was a .packageinstaller file and i couldnt open it.
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 9:56 AM
You can find this .package files in your:

C:\Program files\EA GAMES\the Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D folder.

all the GMDCs, SHPEs, CREs and GMDN files are stored there.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 5:23 AM
alright, so I'm not flooding the forum with all my BS :jk: ...anyway, I've done everything here until the part with the 3D Referencing File...There are about 5 3D Ref Files and I don't know which one to put my shape and resource node in. Any clues?

you drunk yet.....yeah, me too...alright here's a joke for you....there's two muffins in an oven...One muffin says "damn, its hot in here" and the other one says "Oh !@$#, a talking muffin!" - Trypl
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 9:49 AM
ya, therefore go to the Property Set files klick on every GZPS file and search for the "name (dString)". The name shows you what the files is for. tmhair for teenager men ef for elder female and so on. When you have found your file write down the instance. The 3D Ref file you have to put your shape in has the same instance like the GZPS file.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 2:11 AM
Hello can someone tell me if i will need to go and download the mesh extractor before i attempt to work on a hair mesh.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Secun687
Hello can someone tell me if i will need to go and download the mesh extractor before i attempt to work on a hair mesh.

What is the meaning of 'mesh extractor'?
All you need are a 3d program,SimPE and the mesh tool.
#13 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:48 PM
I am RETARDED! I CANT do it! Ive done everything according to instructions and my modified hair mesh will just NOT show up no matter how perfect I followed the instructions. I just want to bang my head on the desk until I pass out.
#14 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Sim_Simmer : 15th Apr 2005 at 6:52 PM.
Here's what I think im having a problem with. In the tutorial (not just this one) you are creating a new package but yet still using the old package.

I opened up bodyshop and in the hair category, I clicked on "custom" and 2 of my attempts were there but not clickable. Do I need to use BOTH of the packages? Do I put them both in downloads? Or both in saved sims? Im confused.
#15 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 7:49 PM
w00t!!!! Nevermind I did it!!!! I deleted a portion of his head but hey, I DID IT *does a spastic dance*
#16 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 10:33 PM
Hi All. Followed the tutorial twice and we can't get the changes to show in body shop. Have read in other posts that hair meshes seem different?? The only thing we think is stange is No 19) are 6 things in type instead of 1 .
#17 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinksuki2k
I created a hair mesh using the exact same tut...the only diff...in step 4 there will be 5 or 6 files for property set instead of the 1 in the tut. Depending on which age you want to edit choose accordingly: afhair----- means adult female or am (adult male), cfhair (child), if you see grey in the end of the name that's obviously elder. If you want to edit the mesh for all ages then follow step four for each file...if you only want to edit for one, then choose only follow step 4 for whatever age file, child, teen, adult, etc. I wish I had only done step 4 for the adult female <snip>.

Ok, we were having trouble getting hair to work, having finally got it working the following is what is different to Brianna's tut.

The quoted post is half of it so kudos to pinksuki2k. Like mentioned at step 4 you need to choose the correct cf/pf/tf/af... mesh. Then at step 20 (inserting your mesh into the temp savedsim package) there are multiple 3D ID Referencing File's. They correspond to the various ages so you need to work out which is which. You can do this by using the same method by which you found the mesh name. Looking at the Packed Files, count the number of 3D ID Referencing File's listed before the property Set containing the relevant mesh name and that is how many you need to count down in the 3D ID Referencing field when inserting your new resource node and shape.

Ugh, that wasn't very clear but in our case, the 4th one was the adult which is what we wanted. The order was:
1 = pu (??)
2 = c(f/m)
3 = t(f/m)
4 = a(f/m)
5 = a(f/m)..._grey

Anyway, hope that helps someone.. yay for finally getting hair to work :D
Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 3:28 PM
I don't know how you guys figure this stuff out, I can't even look at the instructions without it giving be hives. I am SO dying to make some new hair, but the whole thing just makes my eyes cross... Well.. I'm not even good at follwing Ikea instructions. I never read product manuals, so didn't know I could turn the sound for my phone off with one button for ... 6 months! Anyway.. Cheers to you all.. And if anyone ever has two weeks to completely devote to an "Idiot" class, I'd gladly pay!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 5:52 PM
how does this change the actual mesh??? did i forget a step?? i really want to create a hair mesh but this stuff is sooo complicated...
#20 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by puppy45341
how does this change the actual mesh??? did i forget a step?? i really want to create a hair mesh but this stuff is sooo complicated...

Ah, maybe a couple of reasons for this. Maybe in missed part 29 in Briana's tut where you actually edit the mesh in a 3D programme or maybe the changes arn't showing up in Bodyshop because you havn't done some steps right, especially check steps 4 and 20 as in our previous post (have your got the right age you want to work with?).

Briana's tut can be found @ http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...r+tutorial+mesh

:howdy:
#21 Old 1st May 2005 at 4:21 AM
This is my first time using these boards so I hope I'm posting in the correct place for my question and that it does get read back here!

So anyway, I've figured out how to alter my hair meshes for different ages and to get the new mesh to show up in bodyshop. However, my problem is that I've completely lost all texturing from the original skin. I hope I can explain this the right way so someone will understand this. Like when I did clothing meshes, the alteration usually ends up using the original skin and alpha files, just moved around, etc to the extent that I changed the mesh. However, with this hair mesh perhaps I changed it too much and so now it's not picking up any of the original skin. It just shows pure black. No amount of altering the project files helps to change that for me. Does anyone have any clue where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks!
Platinum Plumbob
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st May 2005 at 8:15 AM
I dont know how to decide between the 3d ir thingys...I mean i wanted to do this adult ahir mesha dn then I do the rest of the process and it was all for nuttin because i casnt get the adult 3d ir *or w/e) r there ne ways to tell the difference?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#23 Old 1st May 2005 at 10:20 AM
I'm desperately trying to understand all this too. It would make it just that little bit easier if the thread didn't suddenly start sprouting texting language
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#24 Old 1st May 2005 at 11:23 AM
I got stuck on step 3. I can't find a corresponding GMND in Sims04 with the same name as the hairmesh I am looking for. In fact I don't see anything that looks like a hair name in there at all?
#25 Old 1st May 2005 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I got stuck on step 3. I can't find a corresponding GMND in Sims04 with the same name as the hairmesh I am looking for. In fact I don't see anything that looks like a hair name in there at all?

Wow, that does sound troublesome. I haven't yet ran into a problem where I couldn't find all of the original files for an item. Are you sure that item didn't get corrupted or partially deleted or something? I mean, does the original item still show up and play okay in the game? If it does, then perhaps that item just doesn't have that piece originally. Can you try proceeding without it?

I'm still very new at this, so I'm definitely not expert enough to know exactly how to help you.

Good luck!
PP
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Thread over a year old, we have many more tutorials now
Page 1 of 3