Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 12:33 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 8th Nov 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Going through old posts, removing outdated/borked scripts/objects.
Default Testers and Translators Wanted - VanishingObject Scripts for OMSPs
Who Can Test
Anyone! Non-modders can use the test object. Every feedback (please post your game version) is appreciated, whether it works for you or not.

What This Is
This is a standalone script package you can use to give your cloned surfaces the ability to become invisible. There are interactions to make a single object invisible, and make all objects in the room, on the lot, or the world invisible/visible. The interactions can be turned off/on (default - on) with the ShowVisibilityMenu cheat. Since invisible objects cannot be clicked to access the interactions, there's a recovery cheat to turn all objects on the current lot (i.e. the lot on which the currently selected sim is located) visible - MakeObjectsVisible. Also there's a menu on all mirrors on lots with vanishable objects on them to lock/unlock the invisibility settings and turn objects visible again.

Also this is an attempt to keep the scripts in one place and apart from the actual objects. This way you won't need to code your own scripts and if the scripts ever become outdated by an EAxian patch, only the script package will need to be updated and not your objects.

Translation
If you have a few minutes of time, are willing to translate, and think you are up to the task: Download the TXT file linked at the bottom of this post and open it up in a text editor. Only the stuff between <STR> and </STR> has to be translated, the other stuff must remain untouched. When you save the file, please change the ENG_US to something that indicates the language you translated to.

Currently supported languages: see upload thread

List of all possible languages: Wiki-Link

How To Use
The VanishingObject_Scripts.package has to be in your Mods folder (duh!). Then...

Short Version
You just have to edit the scriptClass entry in the OBJK resource of your package. Leave the part after the last point as it is and change everything else to "VanishingObject". E.g. "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Decorations.UberBoxPedestal" becomes "VanishingObject.UberBoxPedestal".

Detailed Version
- In S3PE load your package and navigate to the OBJK resource.
- Click on the Grid button.
- With ComponentData selected, click on the small button which has three points on it.
- On the left side of the S3PE window select CDTString.
- The right side of the S3PE window will show a string beginning with Sim3.Gameplay.Objects.etc and ending with something like UberBoxPedestal or TableCoffeeDesigner or whatever (Don't remove this last part!)
- Remove everything except the part after the last point.
- Add VanishingObject in front of what's left. There must be a point as a separator.
- Click on Ok and Commit and finally save your package.
- You're done.

Currently Supported Classes
(class is this "last part" mentioned in the how to use section)

see upload thread

Other classes can be added as needed. This will only take seconds. For my convenience please post the whole "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.andsoon" string, that's in your OBJK resource.

What Needs To Be Tested
- If it works for you at all. I'm on game version 1.12. It might not work on previous game versions, because the script resource format got changed a little.
- If it works for your type of object. If it isn't supported yet, tell me and I'll add it.
- If you encounter any weird behavior.
- If all the strings make sense to you. "Vanishable" doesn't seem to be an actual word, but it should be!
- If it hinders your attempts in any way to change slots, height or anything of your object. I'm pretty sure it won't, though.
- If it provokes the nag screen for people on game version 1.12/2.7/3.3/4.0. For some reason the nag screen doesn't appear for anything else than core mods on my machine.
- If the localization works for you. Look in the Translation section what languages are supported. Even if your language isn't supported yet, it will be good to know, if you see the default strings or some mumbo-jumbo enclosed in ***.

Edit: Since they are uploaded in the regular download area now, I deleted the script packages here. Please download them from there. You may still post reports or requests to add classes in this thread if you want.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  VanishingStrings_ENG_US.txt (1.5 KB, 40 downloads)
Description: StringTable template for localization

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:09 PM
I cloned the tableCoffeeEndDesigner (the 1x1), changed the scriptclass in the OBJK, and put the script and table packages into my mods/packages/misc folder.

In-game the table shows up fine and acts just like an ordinary table. So that part is good...no weird behavior. But I'm not sure how to get it to do its tricks. When I click on it it just says no interactions are available.

I've tried it in my unpatched base game (where I guess it won't work since it's unpatched) and in my WA game that's patched through last December. Do I need to patch up do you think?
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:43 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 6th Jun 2010 at 5:23 PM.
Quote:
But I'm not sure how to get it to do its tricks. When I click on it it just says no interactions are available.
When you hover over it with the mouse pointer, does it say "VanishingObject.TableCoffeeDesigner" or something like that? If yes then the script didn't get loaded.
Quote:
Do I need to patch up do you think?
Probably, yes. Give the PatchIndependent version a try. The code is the same, but the script resource is of the pre 1.12 type. I didn't test it after building it in S3PE, but I never failed at that step before.

I don't have to emphasize that only one of the script packages may be in the mods folder, right?

Alchemist
#4 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 2:03 PM
"I don't have to emphasize that only one of the script packages may be in the mods folder, right?..." lol...well you don't have to now.

I tested the PatchIndependant version and it's working in my base game which is unpatched It isn't working in my patched WA game though which is odd. In that game when I hover over the object with the mouse I get the name so it would seem that for some reason the script didn't load.

All I've tested so far is the item's ability to turn invisible. I need to go back in-game and test the other parts. I'm not sure how to engage the ShowVisibilityMenu cheat though.
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 2:21 PM
Quote:
It isn't working in my patched WA game though which is odd.
I think the code doesn't come in contact with anything that got changed all the way from the release version to the current version. Is framework failure a possibility? Do other scripting mods work in that game?
Quote:
I'm not sure how to engage the ShowVisibilityMenu cheat though.
Just write ShowVisibilityMenu in the cheat console to toggle the setting or ShowVisibilityMenu true/false to change it to a certain setting. When you type Help in the cheat console both cheats should show up in the list with a bit of explanation.

Alchemist
#6 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:02 PM
It was framework failure. That game doesn't get much use and it wasn't updated all the way...sorry about that.

Anyway, it works like a charm And I didn't have to use a cheat to get it to turn back. I just tossed another instance of the table into the room and clicked the turn all objects visible option...easier than the cheat, at least for me.

The strings make sense too. I've got version 1.7.9 so I can't help with the nag question. Not sure what that is either.

Can this be used on clones of other surfaces or is it best to use this table as the clone and modify accordingly?
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
And I didn't have to use a cheat to get it to turn back. I just tossed another instance of the table into the room and clicked the turn all objects visible option...easier than the cheat, at least for me.
That's a possibility, yes. A crude one though. Also if you use invisible objects on community lots, navigating a playable sim to that lot and using the cheat might be more convenient. I could add a recovery interaction to a non-vanishing object, too. Mirrors for example. I add interactions to mirrors, most of the time.

There are no safeguards right now BTW. Might make sense to add a "locked" flag to prevent an object's invisibility setting to be altered from across town.

Quote:
Can this be used on clones of other surfaces or is it best to use this table as the clone and modify accordingly?
I only tried UberBoxPedestal and TableCoffeeModern. You're welcome to try other objects. But I wrote that I can add other objects within seconds for a reason.

Alchemist
#8 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:42 PM
Ha:

Slot changing works fine. Those flowers are at fridge-top height with a fridge right next to them. Next up is getting rid of the footprint to make it an ideal OMSP. I'll try it on other clones too. But either way, in my humble opinion, at least trying to limit the number of these downloaders need to add might be a good idea. If meshers can fully modify the one you're already made why fix it if it ain't broke?

Crude?...lol...well yes. But, you know, if it works it works.

A safeguard might be a good idea. I don't know what you mean by this part, " I could add a recovery interaction to a non-vanishing object, too."

Thanks for making this...it's a really nice addition. With this, any surface can act as its own OMSP and that's a great feature

How do you plan to share it?
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 4:06 PM
But either way, in my humble opinion, at least trying to limit the number of these downloaders need to add might be a good idea.

Downloaders will always only have to download one script package, no matter how many "clone sources" it supports.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by this part, " I could add a recovery interaction to a non-vanishing object, too."

That instead of buying another VanishingObject or using the cheat you can just click on a mirror on the same lot and make all objects visible again.

Quote:
How do you plan to share it?

Well, I'm not clingy when it comes to my babies, but I guess it would be best, if I upload it here on MTS in the GameMods section and object modders link to it. That way, it all stays in one place and object modders don't need to worry about keeping the scripts up to date.

Alchemist
#10 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 4:27 PM
Only one script package for multiple clones?...fantastic! In that case, maybe adding one that is a two tile surface would be nice also if it turns out that this one will only work on this specific coffee table. Hmm...I still need to check that. The recovery idea sounds great to me

Great minds and all...that's what I was hoping you'd say. It will be easier to just link to your page as opposed to having to include the script and an explanation of what to do with it in the download of every object made with it. Plus if someone wants to get all chatty about code they can post to you instead of some clueless mesher.
Alchemist
#11 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:22 PM
Sorry for the double post.

On the plus side the object still works fine with the footprint removed.

On the minus side I tried it on a dining table and it didn't work. It just gave me the name when I hovered on it with the mouse so it's acting like the script isn't there when it is. Is it because I didn't use a coffee table? Or because it's a different kind of surface? I shoulda gone with a two-tile coffee table...meh.
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:35 PM
Can somebody who is fully patched and has already seen the nag screen for scripting mods please check if the 1.12/2.7/3.3/4.0 version of the script packages provokes the nag screen? It's not necessary to clone an object or anything. Just throw it into your mods folder and load the game. The script package doesn't care if it actually gets used or not.

On the minus side I tried it on a dining table and it didn't work. It just gave me the name when I hovered on it with the mouse so it's acting like the script isn't there when it is. Is it because I didn't use a coffee table? Or because it's a different kind of surface? I shoulda gone with a two-tile coffee table...meh.
Pssst... this is the point where you tell me what the class name of that particular dining table is. Until then it would be nice if you would try out the mirror interactions. They won't show up if there a no VanishingObjects on the lot BTW. I changed the linked packages in the first post.

Alchemist
#13 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:43 PM
I can't find the mirror. Checking class name.

This is the right name...right?:

Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Tables.Mimics.TableDiningQuaint

eta: sorry...that was sort of non-specific. I can't find the mirror to download it. I just downloaded all three folders up there and there is no mirror in any of them.
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:51 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 6th Jun 2010 at 6:03 PM.
I can't find the mirror.
Not the mirror. A mirror. Any mirror. ETA: There is no additional mirror object. The menu gets added to all existing mirrors.
Quote:
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Tables.Mimics.TableDiningQuaint
Stay tuned. Done.

Alchemist
#15 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:03 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 6th Jun 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Lol...I didn't read the fine print up above and just figured there was some object involved.

Anyway, I used the patch independent version and tried two different mirrors but there was nothing unusual about the interactions even though I had my invisible surface object in the game. I took the version from up there and used it to just overwrite the old one.

eta: tried the new script and the dining table disappears nicely I also tried cloning a different one and changing the name on that one and it did not disappear. So it would appear that the code is object specific and not just type of object specific.

But really, with a single-tile and a double tile object in there you can really make just about any kind of surface you want to. Plus, you have a two material group object which covers any need to apply this to an object with glass.
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:13 PM
Anyway, I used the patch independent version and tried two different mirrors but there was nothing unusual about the interactions even though I had my invisible surface object in the game.

The menu won't show up unless there are objects that are actually placed on the same lot as the mirror. No need to annoy people with menus that won't do anything anyway.

Scholar
#17 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:19 PM
Could you explain what changed in Ambitions that keeps script mods from working? You mentioned it changed a little, please elaborate.
Alchemist
#18 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:20 PM
...sorry to be vague...that's what I meant. The mirror and the invisible table were in the same room together.
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rebecah
Could you explain what changed in Ambitions that keeps script mods from working? You mentioned it changed a little, please elaborate.
The new S3SA version has a game version header. The current game version will load old version S3SA resources just fine, but older game versions can't load new version S3SA resources.

...sorry to be vague...that's what I meant. The mirror and the invisible table were in the same room together.
The script gets saved together with the object. Did you not delete the script cache and placed the object before updating the script package by any chance?

Alchemist
#20 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:33 PM
I haven't saved the surface into the house at all...but these caches are like super-glue. Let me find that one, empty it, and try again.

eta: well, that cache is in my automatic cache emptier thing but just to be sure I took it out manually and retried. Still no go.
Scholar
#21 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:42 PM
Thanks you very much! I've been trying to figure this out for several hours. Are you sure it loads older versions as I'm not getting Ambitions to load any older version of a script mod.
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:52 PM
Still no go.
Then I'm out of ideas. If the interactions on the objects show, then there's no reason at all why the mirror interactions shouldn't show up. The parts of the EA code I'm using/accessing is basically the same. I just tried it again and it's working fine here.

Quote: Originally posted by rebecah
Are you sure it loads older versions as I'm not getting Ambitions to load any older version of a script mod.
Yes, I'm sure. That doesn't mean however, that the code inside an S3SA resource can't be outdated nevertheless.

Alchemist
#23 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 7:00 PM
Are you sure you added that function to the version of the script that doesn't require patching? That's the one I'm using.

Are you sure you put the version of that script updated for the mirror interaction in the download that is posted? Sorry to ask but I'm out of ideas too otherwise.

And just to be sure I'm trying it right...I am just supposed to have my Sim use it and the extra interaction should pop up with the view/gussy up/and etc.?
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 7:44 PM
Yes to the questions. It's still the same code for both packages. The last version extracts to a 16KB package (for both). I just downloaded it and it's the right one. Also you'll know if it's the right one if the TableDiningQuaint class is working.

If you click on a mirror and have VanishingObjects on the same lot as the mirror, you should see a "Visibility..." menu just like on the VanishingObjects themselves. It works for me. Is there the slightest chance that you have the package in the mods folder multiple times aka tight pants?

Alchemist
#25 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 7:49 PM
Lol...funny name for it. I don't think so but anything is possible so I'll check it. And definitely the dining table class is working just fine so I've got the right one. Odd it's working for you and not me.

I forget if I mentioned this earlier but I also checked it in my WA game and it's not working there either.

Well, just to be sure it hadn't snuck in somewhere, I took it out altogether and checked the tables in game. They would not interact and just showed the name when I hovered over them indicating that the script wasn't there. Then I put it back in and both disappeared as they should. But still no mirror interactions. I'm trying to imagine what's different about your game than mine other than patch status. Do you think this could be the issue?
Page 1 of 3