Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 6:45 PM
Default Moving an entire animation in SimPE
Basically, there's a Sim animation loop that faces east, and I want it to face south. I'd also like to raise it on the Z axis. The Sim is in a slot, so I can't use BHAVs to do it, and if I move it in the CRES that will affect the other animations using the slot. I've imported the animation into my package and renamed it and moved the root trans hoping that it would move all the entire Sim mesh and it didn't. Is there a way to move the whole mesh at once or would I need to edit each joint by hand?
Advertisement
just a girl
#2 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 9:42 PM
What happened after you moved the root?

My attempts to change sim's animation raw data in SimPE were not entirely successful. Moving one joint did affect the others, but it still looked confusing to me as to how it worked. It was easier with objects.

If it doesn't work, I would add another slot just for this animation. Less work than editing every joint by hand, if it comes to that.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:51 PM
The head and torso did move, but the joints of the limbs, hands and feet didn't move in sync with it. I was hoping a little lift and rotate would be a simple thing. Oh well, thanks for the input. I probably will take the alternate route and add a new slot in.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 4:57 AM
you can turn them, then have them snap into it. I don't know if that would help or not. you can also make the animation flip.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 1:42 PM
@gdayars how do you get them to turn, and can you set the degrees of the turn? If by flipping, you mean setting the flip flag in the BHAVs, I have that one covered. I think it's going to require the slot, because even if they're pointing in the right direction, they'll still be underground, due to the location of the slot, but the information on turning a Sim could help for the future.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 4:36 PM
one of them is prim 0x0016 turn body where you can turn them into a certain direction or by degrees. Just plug different numbers into the boxes to achieve different directions. I always have to play with them, unless I know of an object with the exact one I need, to get the direction right. there are different ways to do it, but that is one of them, then you have them snap to a slot. Also can you move the routing slot?

It is far easier to move an existing routing slot than it is to create a new one. You can also use the relative position thing sometimes as well.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 5:54 PM Last edited by omglo : 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:58 PM.
Thanks, I'll keep that primitive in mind. The slot giving me an issue is a container slot, not a routing slot, so relative position won't help in this case. The container slot has been moved into the ideal position for adults, but not kids. I'm doing a request for a cardboard box bed conversion, and since it's so low and lacks blankets it needed different sleeping animations (getting in and out of bed is a lost cause and is just going to look weird). I'm using the napping animation for adults, but because the kids dangle their arm off the couch while napping, I want to use the passing out animation for that age group, but that animation is lower and facing in a different which requires either moving the animation, the slot or creating a new one.

ETA:
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
you can turn them, then have them snap into it. I don't know if that would help or not. you can also make the animation flip.

I've decided to do this and use the "My anim Z offset" expression to move the sim into place and snap it. Getting in and out of the bed will look even more awkward that it already does, but it'll work.
Instructor
#8 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:18 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 24th Feb 2018 at 4:10 PM.
You could fix that :
-either in BHAV : "turn body" primitive 16 or "turn towards absolute direction" global 2DF or "CT Snap Me" global 1E5 (0 is right 90°). The last one must be used AFTER already slapped in the slot. However I don't know if it will work with container slot. It's easy but will only fix the facing problem, not the lower thing.
-or in animation : you must click the two boxes "linear" and "locked" for each of root_rot Z (facing modification) and root_trans z (lower modification), otherwise the sim will turn for a moment than revert back really fast before the end of the anim. It's not so long to do, it depends on how many time code the animation has in that joint. However if there is only one time code, you need to create a new z on the last time code so that your change can be effective (for instance => tc:0 > z : x (the modification you want) linear locked ; tc:x (just put in there the number of the last tc known of this animation) > z : x (the same modification already in tp:0) linear locked + you'll get a new y & z in the created tc, just click on each and "suppress" each). If you do that, all the other joint will move accordingly, I'm certain of that.
_ or in slot : you can copy the one you use, give it another name or /and change the direction. I did that once but I can't remember how, sorry ...
Hope I was clear enough.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:23 PM
Thanks. You've given me some things to try out in upcoming projects.
Instructor
#10 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Thanks. You've given me some things to try out in upcoming projects.

You're welcome. I'm eager to see your upcoming projects in bright light.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#11 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 11:55 PM
"waits patiently for the chemistry table"
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 4:47 AM
It turns out that I'm the worst at actually completing sim projects (great at starting them, though So many ideas... ). Oh, I solved the issue I had with Sims not staying in place as they experiment. It's slow going, but it's going.
Instructor
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
It turns out that I'm the worst at actually completing sim projects (great at starting them, though So many ideas... ). Oh, I solved the issue I had with Sims not staying in place as they experiment. It's slow going, but it's going.

As long as it is going, everything is alright. Good luck !