Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 4:29 AM
The shape doesn't matter. I can make the mesh whatever shape is needed.

What matters is the properties of the clone. The clone we need for this object is one which has two groups...not one with two recolorable channels...but one with two different material groups. After that requirement comes the placement...which item with two different material groups has the placement requirements which most closely approximate what it is that you're looking for to make it easy to work with in the game?

Again, shape doesn't matter...that's what meshing is for.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 6:24 AM
Could you give an example of an object with two material groups?
Alchemist
#28 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:52 AM
It's an object with one part that is wood, metal, plastic, etc. and another part that is glass or mirror. I'm going to try out the Reflectionator mirror. This one seems to do the half-tile placement you were talking about above.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 11:43 AM
Some items which contain metal/wood and glass and can be placed every half a tile:

- mirrors
- toilet cabinet
- end tables with glass
- 1 tile TV
- showers

Out of all of them, it appears that only mirrors have a base area of half a tile while the rest have bases of one full tile. See my pic for an illustration.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#30 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:54 PM
Wow...there's more than I would have guessed. Thanks for looking through all that.

Perhaps I should have considered that deco towel cabinet instead of the reflectionator...I'm not sure what the Sims are going to make of, what looks to them, like a wall of mirrors to Admire Self in...lol.

Anyway, here's what I have so far...the Reflectionator cooperated nicely and, the good news, no cheat is needed to place it on walls (although you will need one to make corners with it unless I can make a corner piece that will fit right...I may try).

Below are pictures showing it placed on a wall and also showing its base (very slender and inconspicuous...won't show when object is placed on a wall). I just have some clean-up to do on the img's for it...you can see dark marks in the texture where it needs fixing but other than that this should be good to go. I'll do the ceiling height one next.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 1:01 PM
Perfect! Thanks a lot! :D
Alchemist
#32 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 1:01 PM
and the weekend is coming...I should be able to post this by tomorrow sometime
Banned
#33 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 7:18 PM
For future reference, when you said the fence would appear if you "hovered a window over it", that's a result of having moveobjects turned on.

If you put a window/door on a slot that already has a window/door, even without actually placing it, it "breaks" it- the wall shows right through it, but it is still usable and everything. So when the long window is on a wall, it shows nothing. But if a long window was on the wall with moveobjects, there's a chance you'd see the wall and not the window.

That's why the fence would show up again- the window wasn't "functioning" and reloading the lot fixes that.
Alchemist
#34 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 1:54 AM
Still working on object. These glass panels are producing an undesirable flicker when placed next to one another that must be fixed. Will have it though.
Alchemist
#35 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 11:26 PM
I sincerely apologize for the double post.

Ilee I just wanted to let you know that your brainchild is now available in the Buy section of downloads. It took a long time because I had to get rid of the flicker and EA glass is relatively unforgiving in that department. A week of pixel by pixel adjustment of the alignment couldn't get rid of it so I had to go with overlap...I hope they still ended up ok.

Happy building
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 2:08 AM
Can't way to try it out! Thanks for all the work!
Page 2 of 2