Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#126 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 8:44 PM
Clearly you missed the fact that this site has a forum AND a wiki too? Also, using wordpress is, well, ridiculous. You know why "20%" of the web is powered by wordpress? Becuase people don't know better.

I highly recommend you actually take some time to, well, use this site, rather than suggesting we switch to Wordpress of all things. (also, secure? Bwahahahaha)

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 10:59 PM
I'm new to the site and personally i wouldn't change a thing i have no problems downloading from here etc.
Test Subject
#128 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 9:37 PM
I would like a website that has a good filtration system. This website, I think should have a 'Worlds' and 'Poses' category or something(Not in misc)
Maybe an indicator of what a download is patched up to?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#129 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 2:59 PM
Does our filtration system count as good? If not, what would you like to see changed about it?

Regarding making worlds and poses top-level categories rather than subcategories of Misc, I can see why that might make them easier to find. We won't move them now, but I'll file the suggestion away, and if we get other evidence that people are struggling to find those categories, we'll consider moving them up.

We do have patch info for the types of downloads where patch is crucial, i.e. worlds, lots and hacks. For other stuff, it's more difficult, since only a handful of patches have any impact on stuff like objects and CAS content, and usually the creators don't know what patch level their stuff requires or is compatible with. We could require creators to work it out and include that info when they're uploading, but I'm hesitant to add more rules for creators to abide by when the benefit for downloaders would be fairly minor.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 8:54 PM
I know this is a few months late and I hate to revive a dead thread but this is a feature I strongly believe the community needs before downloading Sims 2 or Sims 3 content. I also think the site is doing pretty well with it's guidelines at the moment. And site features.

Now what we simmers need most is an option so when people download something of ours on here it would pop up a notification blip that will ask them if they want to proceed with their download and advise them that some meshes are required for this download to function properly displaying all of the mesh required links waiting until they download each then once finished they can click proceed with download when they are ready. Skyrim Nexus does this before downloads that require an additional download to work so users know they are getting everything so they won't need to come back to that same page, I had no idea where to request this feature or even if I could on here but I think this would be a step up in the community though I have no idea how difficult this would be to code. I have several thousands of people that downloaded one of my Sims and they are not noticing the mesh's required tab when they download... I believe this would help greatly, I didn't really know where to request this or who to ask to at least share the idea. But how it would work is you'd log in, find something to download, and lets say this download will NOT work unless you download 3 additional mesh's, so a notification comes up and says warning this download will not work properly without all the required mesh's please download all mesh's first which will list all mesh's, then you'd click ok to proceed with your download.

Just an idea to consider

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/simdrew1993
My Sims http://simdrew1993.deviantart.com/
My Ganondorf Impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqKxNM6IO0?HD=1
Batman Impressions http://youtu.be/hPYnW2AZdzI?hd=1

I make Zelda Sims, so please feel free to check them out!!! :D
dodgy builder
#131 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simdrew1993
I know this is a few months late and I hate to revive a dead thread but this is a feature I strongly believe the community needs before downloading Sims 2 or Sims 3 content. I also think the site is doing pretty well with it's guidelines at the moment. And site features.

Now what we simmers need most is an option so when people download something of ours on here it would pop up a notification blip that will ask them if they want to proceed with their download and advise them that some meshes are required for this download to function properly displaying all of the mesh required links waiting until they download each then once finished they can click proceed with download when they are ready. Skyrim Nexus does this before downloads that require an additional download to work so users know they are getting everything so they won't need to come back to that same page, I had no idea where to request this feature or even if I could on here but I think this would be a step up in the community though I have no idea how difficult this would be to code. I have several thousands of people that downloaded one of my Sims and they are not noticing the mesh's required tab when they download... I believe this would help greatly, I didn't really know where to request this or who to ask to at least share the idea. But how it would work is you'd log in, find something to download, and lets say this download will NOT work unless you download 3 additional mesh's, so a notification comes up and says warning this download will not work properly without all the required mesh's please download all mesh's first which will list all mesh's, then you'd click ok to proceed with your download.

Just an idea to consider

That is already a requirement for the creator to do that. People need to READ what's in the text of the download before they download, I agree on that. As a creator I would like the downloader to read about all the needed things for one of my lots, take an educated decition as to what to download and then take the chance of it looking like hell. After all that's the downloaders decition and not mine. As a downloader I would be annoyed if I have read all the text on the download and still have to deal with a silly popup require me to download what I have already decided I didn't want.
Field Researcher
#132 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 1:52 AM Last edited by Simdrew1993 : 6th Aug 2014 at 2:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
That is already a requirement for the creator to do that. People need to READ what's in the text of the download before they download, I agree on that. As a creator I would like the downloader to read about all the needed things for one of my lots, take an educated decition as to what to download and then take the chance of it looking like hell. After all that's the downloaders decition and not mine. As a downloader I would be annoyed if I have read all the text on the download and still have to deal with a silly popup require me to download what I have already decided I didn't want.
Yes I agree, but a big problem nowadays is a majority of people don't read what's on the download page unfortunately I really wish they would but that is up to them some just want to download and play their game right away. This would be beneficial because this way all those people would no longer have too read all that text, many do but also many don't. It would be more of a safety protocol plus all you'd have to do it click proceed to download it would basically just tell them then give links to everything so that nothing mess's up for them they wouldn't have to click the links if they didn't want to but would still be given an option and be advised just in case. They could just click proceed with download. What I'm saying is this notification would tell them what is required. Everyone would be able to choose to ignore if they wished to and click proceed if they wanted to bypass it or if they already have these mesh's or perhaps if they just don't want to download these additional mesh's that are required then that'd be fine. It would help downloaders immensely some people need guidance. That is all, like I said it's just an idea.

dodgy builder
#133 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simdrew1993
Yes I agree, but a big problem nowadays is a majority of people don't read what's on the download page unfortunately I really wish they would but that is up to them some just want to download and play their game right away. This would be beneficial because this way all those people would no longer have too read all that text, many do but also many don't. It would be more of a safety protocol plus all you'd have to do it click proceed to download it would basically just tell them then give links to everything so that nothing mess's up for them they wouldn't have to click the links if they didn't want to but would still be given an option and be advised just in case. They could just click proceed with download. What I'm saying is this notification would tell them what is required. Everyone would be able to choose to ignore if they wished to and click proceed if they wanted to bypass it or if they already have these mesh's or perhaps if they just don't want to download these additional mesh's that are required then that'd be fine. It would help downloaders immensely some people need guidance. That is all, like I said it's just an idea.

It's a learning process and I'm not that keen on reading all the little text always either, but I don't expect others to come down to my level. There is a lot of problem with this game and as a creator it can be a bit tireing sometimes. Like I post in my youtube video the link to the music and someone asks in the comments where I got the music from. Too many of those and I just ...

As I said it's a learning process, you learn after a while that it pays to read. It can be very critical on things like mods, where you end up with a crashed game and what the heck has this stupid mod done now? Just to read and find out it's your own fault. Away from the fact that some hates popups with a passion, it will soon end up being a pillow. If the popup doesn't tell you about it, it can't be that important.

I like taking shortcuts, and I know many other's do as well, and after a while I learn how to clean up the mess after me. I fortunate though, I don't need to worry about a 7 generation legacy going corrupted.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#134 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:02 AM
I agree, I think people can read. Most creators underline, bold or otherwise try and draw the downloader's attention to anything important that they need for the item to work correctly. If you are grabbing a mod you should also skim over the comments and read the read me as well. It does pay to read. People also have a habit of clicking off pop-ups without reading anyway.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#135 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
People also have a habit of clicking off pop-ups without reading anyway.

Oh yes, and that is even more annoying! Did you read the popup you silly noob!! It's so annoying sitting at the grocery register and there's no sigaret ticket coming for the customer, just to see it says on the comp It's empty. I clicked on a popup and don't even remember seeing any

It could possibly be something for new downloaders though, but still they need to read the text ... but possibly just a list of the most important things?
Field Researcher
#136 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 5:26 AM Last edited by Simdrew1993 : 7th Aug 2014 at 6:16 AM.
Oh I agree with you 100% Volvenom! I read everything myself always, but this feature wouldn't be for myself. Knowledge is power indeed. But a large quantity of people don't see it the way we do. And that's fine if you both don't agree with the idea. I just wanted to get it out there just in case a mod would I suppose.

I wouldn't want it to be like a popup not like Google plus, and Youtube yuck! Or anything irritating. That would simply drive a person crazy, I'd want it to just to be like a notification a simple warning about the download and mesh's that are required but only on download pages that actually need additional mesh's on ones that don't then you'd see no such thing just standard downloading. It wouldn't be something that'd be annoying it instead it'd be to help people, and joandsarah77 you make a valid point about this which makes me second guess myself, thinking maybe this idea wouldn't work too well....But I'm not sure, because then again it may be for the greater good. My idea was that they wouldn't be able to exit after it pops up unless they hit cancel or click off of the notification a couple times on their download, go back, or hit proceed with download. I just think people should be advised before they forget or choose not to read everything. Many don't these days. It's sad really. But yes learning is the best thing I agree but not everyone is going to feel that way like we do. The reason I'm requesting such a feature is because I've had countless people use my Sims and some have messaged me in the past saying something was wrong, asking questions like why don't they show up properly, the hair doesn't work, the cape doesn't work, the crown mesh doesn't work. Then I ask did you download the mesh's some respond with a simple uh no, others respond saying a what? Then I have to explain what a mesh is and to download a file(s). I never mind it when I help people because I want everyone to have what the need to play their games correctly and enjoy my work but there are also those that do blame me for their own simple mistake thinking maybe I didn't pack the sim up correctly, many choose to blame others before they notice their own simple mistakes when downloading, not all though many have also figured it out. I leave it in Bold print to download mesh's if you want the full results but to no avail.

I just think this would help simmers that have this problem like I do. I see pictures of my sims all over that look weird and I found out many of these people forgot to download the mesh's that are needed so they blame the work instead of themselves for not downloading a simple mesh not all of them though. Many have also figured out oh wait I missed something, it doesn't matter though I still help them regardless. Maybe I'm over thinking this I mean I can't control it if many don't choose to read the fine bold print right? And sadly yes it probably would be closed out but if the notification looked serious enough maybe they'd listen to it and download the mesh's. Bold text isn't doing justice for me now. So I don't know.... You know how at some grocery stores they sell soda pop and there is sometimes pictures that say Don't forget the ice! This is that....sorta lol

Lab Assistant
#137 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 8:16 PM
Default My Download Fantasy
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Put aside everything that MTS is now, and ignore entirely the way we do things at the moment.

(And if you're a creator AND a downloader, please chime in on the other thread too!)

1. format of download always the same.
2. no ads and no music
3. ability to download with or without custom content. (if possible)
4. if download has been updated, old objects removed and an alert put somewhere (like front page?) to notify people who downloaded the object to redownload.
5. dead links for custom content removed.
6. keep it simple. like descriptions of what the object or download is for, and where is should be installed. I love this site. cam
Page 6 of 6