Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 5:15 PM
Default Different lighting on two pieces of the same set? (Milla 3t2 Hay Bjorn sofa/loveseat)
So this is driving me crazy. I downloaded this set here:

http://kacicka777.tumblr.com/post/1...-converted-this

But in my game, the sofa looks like it's plasticky leather or something, while the loveseat looks more like fabric:

(Oops, I forgot to change the final loveseat to red, but none of the loveseat recolors look shiny.)

I don't do too much object/simpe stuff, but I was able to pull out a couple of sample textures between the loveseat and the sofa, and they look exactly the same, neither one looks shiny/like plastic. Does this mean the lighting (material? something?) is defined differently between the two objects? If so, is this something I can fix myself? I'm not really one to bug creators.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
So this is driving me crazy. I downloaded this set here:

http://kacicka777.tumblr.com/post/1...-converted-this

But in my game, the sofa looks like it's plasticky leather or something, while the loveseat looks more like fabric:

(Oops, I forgot to change the final loveseat to red, but none of the loveseat recolors look shiny.)

I don't do too much object/simpe stuff, but I was able to pull out a couple of sample textures between the loveseat and the sofa, and they look exactly the same, neither one looks shiny/like plastic. Does this mean the lighting (material? something?) is defined differently between the two objects? If so, is this something I can fix myself? I'm not really one to bug creators.

Thanks!

I think the difference lies in the TXMT (texture mat). But as I'm not really skilled in that field, I can't say anything more. See the difference between the two TXMT, then / or see in the wiki the signification of each line of a TXMT.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
I think the difference lies in the TXMT (texture mat). But as I'm not really skilled in that field, I can't say anything more. See the difference between the two TXMT, then / or see in the wiki the signification of each line of a TXMT.

Thanks, I'm sure this is it, but so far it's eluding me. Will keep trying to decode it. (In the most basic sense ... none of the objects involved, or recolor packages, seem to have 'reflectivity' turned on at all.)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 10:43 PM
This is the line in the TXMT for the sofa that is most likely causing the difference in the textures: stdMatSpecCoef. It's set at 0.087,0.17,0.44 for the sofa but 0,0,0 for the loveseat. Changing it to 0,0,0 for the sofa should fix that.

I say should because: the sofa has a line, stdMatSpecPower that is set at 21, that the loveseat does not have. I'm not 100% what the purpose of that line is but I think it works as a kind of "multiplier" (because I *do* know that changing it to another number will make a difference). So, to be on the safe side you may want to change that - no need to delete the line, just change it to 0 and see if that helps.

Those are the only 2 differences I see that could cause the differences in the textures. If making the change(s) helps, keep in mind that all of the sofa's recolors would need to be either redone (by exporting the textures and actually making recolors of the edited sofa) OR edited by opening them in SimPE and making the same change(s).

Edit: You CAN just delete the stdMatSpecPower line if you'd rather do that. Just click on it then click delete and be sure to commit and save. (I always click "sort list" too just in case deleting a line makes any kind of difference since you're supposed to do that when you add a line.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Mar 2018 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
This is the line in the TXMT for the sofa that is most likely causing the difference in the textures: stdMatSpecCoef. It's set at 0.087,0.17,0.44 for the sofa but 0,0,0 for the loveseat. Changing it to 0,0,0 for the sofa should fix that.

I say should because: the sofa has a line, stdMatSpecPower that is set at 21, that the loveseat does not have. I'm not 100% what the purpose of that line is but I think it works as a kind of "multiplier" (because I *do* know that changing it to another number will make a difference). So, to be on the safe side you may want to change that - no need to delete the line, just change it to 0 and see if that helps.

Those are the only 2 differences I see that could cause the differences in the textures. If making the change(s) helps, keep in mind that all of the sofa's recolors would need to be either redone (by exporting the textures and actually making recolors of the edited sofa) OR edited by opening them in SimPE and making the same change(s).

Edit: You CAN just delete the stdMatSpecPower line if you'd rather do that. Just click on it then click delete and be sure to commit and save. (I always click "sort list" too just in case deleting a line makes any kind of difference since you're supposed to do that when you add a line.)

Thank you, this did it. I repeated it for several recolors, works for all, no more plastic sofas. Thank you for taking the time to explain exactly what to do. I had been working my way through this set of documents:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=316260

... but I'm really not sure I would have ever inferred the right fix, I was still hung up on 'Reflectivity'. (I'm only barely a recolor-er, this particular stuff doesn't come terribly naturally to me.)

Cheers!