Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2013 at 3:16 AM
Default Can't run multiple instances of SimPE
I used to be able to run multiple instances of SimPE. Now I can't. I have no idea why.

In November 2012, my non-gaming computer died forcing me to take a hiatus from the Sims. During this time I made no hardware or O/S changes to the gaming computer that held Sims 2. It's Windows XP so there are no updates. I didn't update drivers or install any non-gaming software. The only thing I did during this time was install a few games.

When I came back in March 2013, I found I couldn't run multiple instances of SimPE anymore. Every single time I try, the second instance crashes as soon as it comes up with the message "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I poked around a bit but wasn't in the mood to fight with more computer problems so I walked away. Recently I've decided to try again.

Here is the full error in spoiler tags

And here are my system specs.

Today I've done the following
* run memtest and my memory is fine
* run the .NET repair tool
* uninstalled and re-installed .NET 2.0
* redownloaded SimPE (I'm using the non-install version of v0.73.44.QA) and run it without any of my configuration settings
* run the SimPE validator, which tells me it's the wrong version so I'm guessing it was never updated for the latest version of SimPE * multiple reboots during all of this

None of these have helped.

I found only two threads about this. The first is at http://simpeforum.ambertation.de/fo...ewthread/4382/0 and addressed this problem but the hotfix mentioned predates .NET 2.0 SP 2, which is the version I installed. I found another thread at http://modthesims.info/archive/index.php?t-316806.html but the poster was directed to the SimPE site.

I have no idea where to take it from here. Without multiple instances, I can't mod. Any ideas?

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 19th Nov 2013 at 5:03 PM
Is the first copy up and fully loaded before you start the second copy? I've sometimes had problems if I start two copies too close together.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that I have no ideas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 10:09 PM
Yup. I've even left the first one open for a while just to be sure.

I suspect this is going to be one of those "Huh, no idea" problems that sometimes make computers as much fun as jamming needles in your eyes.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Site Helper
#4 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 10:40 PM
I wonder whether you're running out of resources? Are you running a lot of other things at the same time?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 12:32 AM
Nope, these are the only two things running. Still have over 1.7 GB of memory available even as the second one is displaying its crash message.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 1:57 AM
Hi Cyjon, I am a fan of your mods (waves excitedly)

I had a dig about in the archives (tip from fansee) and found the two quotes below:

Quote: Originally posted by somemoderator
I've had similar issues and it turned out SimPE had the EP file paths all screwed up. To fix that, in SimPE go to Extra > Preferences > System Folders. In there it lists all the EPs including the "original" game, with the file path next to the game name. Click a name then click the "..." button on the file path, and use the "browse" button to find its correct location on your computer. Do that for the original game and all installed EPs/SPs. That fixed it for me in the past.

and

Quote: Originally posted by someothermoderator
I would suggest using the no install version as I can say it does indeed work. The other thing I noticed recently was that the file table is not automatically detecting the correct paths with w7 x64, so double check. I'm guessing that she has indeed installed the managed directx? This is different than all other directx and the link can be found on SimPE download page.

I think at one time I also had to change the permissons for the TS2 folder and all it's children to allow my account full access.

No idea if this helps, I hope it will.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 5:27 AM
Hiya Cyjon! I'm a big fan of your mods too.

Thanks for digging those up Lee. They are indeed helpful tips but are not the ones I had in mind. Turns out the thing I had in mind was on the SimPE forums (whoops! yay for old thank-you notes in my outbox telling me where to look). :D

Cyjon, I think this tutorial from Buzzler may help. It helped me immensely and it sounds like you may be having the same issue.

What to do if you get a System.OutOfMemoryException Error
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 6:08 AM
@leefish - I checked the paths and they are fine.

@fanseelamb - I was skeptical since this isn't the error I am getting, but darned if that didn't fix it. Not a perfect solution since it leaves the system unstable so I have to use a SimPE-only boot, but at least it allows me the option to keep modding. Huh, I just realized all I did was the first step, the modification of boot.ini. I didn't even have to fix SimPE to take advantage of the additional memory. Computers are weird.

Thanks for the help, all of you. I'm on a gaming lull right now so maybe I'll get back to simming.

Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 6:47 AM
Ah, I did not do Part 1 at all. I only did Part 2 since I have a 64-bit system. Leaving the system unstable is certainly not ideal. Glad it sorta fixed it though. You're very welcome for the help! Having you back to simming would be a treat - although if you're looking for something new to play, I highly recommend The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. That right there is a fantastic game.

/me ducks the tomatoes leefish is sure to throw her way
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Jan 2014 at 9:05 PM
So it's possible this will solve my SimPE problem; however, I'm running Windows 7 and the instructions are for XP and Vista. Does anyone know what I'd need to do for 7?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)