Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 9:11 AM
Default I cannot get my mesh to work!
I really want to make an accessory mesh. I'm trying to make horns off of the pendant earrings. What I did was extract the mesh files with CTU, and opened lod1 in Milkshape. (there was only lod1, lod2, and lod3 so I figured lod1) I made the mesh, exported it, and then went to Postal. I'm sure this is where I'm making mistakes.

I don't have any Group, Instance, or Type IDs for the pendant earrings, so I tried two things: I used the sunglasses ID numbers I got from Custom Sims 3 Forums. Didn't work, so I tried the group and type from the sunglasses along with the number in the filename, which is what I was pretty sure was the instance ID for the earrings. Did not work. Both times the package files were 2 KB.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:29 AM
Personally, I've been using the Sims 3 Package Editor to create new packages, since I found problems trying to import .simgeom into a package with other programs - they were producing tiny, 1k file sizes.

Are you actually trying to replace the pendant earrings? Did you extract them first to get IDs or did you just decide to replace them outright?

ETA: The pendant earrings LOD1 mesh appears to use the following ids:

Type: 0x015A1849
Group: 0x001E1A2C
Instance: 0x00000000DA7F7E4C
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:12 PM Last edited by Nekonyami : 14th Jul 2009 at 5:39 PM.
Thanks for the numbers
Is Postal the same as the Sims 3 Package Editor? That's what I've been using.

EDIT:
I can give you the steps of what I did.

1. Extracted mesh files with CTU.
2. Opened lod1 with Milkshape and edited mesh.
3. Saved and exported mesh.
4. Opened Postal and imported mesh file.
5. Put in the group, type, and instance IDs.
6. Saved package and put in game.

It just doesn't work and it's a small file. I even tried your new numbers and they didn't work.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:39 PM
I use Postal to extract files and S3PE to package them. The cool thing about S3PE is that it automatically sets the TGI. However, I really like that Postal sorts the files, and has a little icon for the different type of file.. (Geom, Unk, dds) :P
It's pretty much the same thing.

Hmm. I don't know about the mesh not showing up though, when i was trying to edit a mesh i kept editing the _lod1, but thats why it wasnt showing up. I needed to edit the _lod0. You said that there are only lod1,2 and 3.
Hmm. I'll take a look, and see if i find anything.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:40 PM
Where can I find this S3PE?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekonyami
Where can I find this S3PE?

http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3Tool...php?topic=171.0

By the way, If you are using the files extracted with the CTU tool you will still have to put the instances manually even with s3pe. I don't know why it does that, but that's what happens :/
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:48 PM
Thanks!

I got it, saved the package and it's still 2 KB. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here

EDIT: Just discovered something. The mesh files I have are all small files (2 KB and 4 KB.) Maybe this has to do with it? Maybe I have to extract the meshes with Postal instead?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miniie
By the way, If you are using the files extracted with the CTU tool you will still have to put the instances manually even with s3pe. I don't know why it does that, but that's what happens :/

Thats all down the the filename. S3PE recognises the S3_xxxxx_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx etc format and pulls the numbers from that.

Something, something, something, Darkside
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 6:23 PM
Well I think I might have made a little progress.

I have a 1 KB package, and nothing is showing up in the game. However, when I tried to open it in CTU, it says there is no CASpart. Before, it would just crash.

I'm now thinking it's the lack of CASpart that's making it not show. How would I go about making a CASpart?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:28 PM
I just tried editing the earrings mesh, just to drag them along the vertical scale and make them larger, but no change appeared to show up in the game. Have you edited other accessory meshes and had any success?
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:31 PM
I can't try any other meshes because I don't have their group or type IDs. I don't know how to get them :/

EDIT: Just read somewhere that I can get the IDs from the filenames extracted from Postal. The only thing is, if I use Postal, is it recommended to make a backup of the whole Sims 3 folder or just FullBuild0.package?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:39 PM
The meshes type id is always the same: 0x015A1849 (as well as texture type id is always the same, etc)

With Sims 3 Package Editor you can filter the files by type id. There is also an option to display the ressources names, so it's easy to find what you want.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:57 PM
I only use Postal for extraction of files; I browse with the Sims 3 Package Editor. It's up to you how you want to work, but the Package Editor displays file names. You can filter these by type and by alpha order, so I can look at all the GEOM files together, and scroll to "afAccessoryEarringsPendant_lod1" quite easily. Then you can export directly or use Postal - advantage of Postal is that it doesn't lose the instance/type/group ids so you don't have to manually enter them when you import the file to your new package.