Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 12:31 AM
Default Editing the Base texture of any clothing meshe
Hello there!
I think the default textures on clothing are quite poor so I would like to edit them: add lights/shadows, folds to them. Make them more realistic.

The problem is, in TS3, there are patterns.

My question is:
How can I edit the "basic texture" below (as an example), so it would work with any pattern over it? Is there a special place for those files in the CAS Unitool?

> I must precise that I'm not trying to make "stencils".

Thanks to anyone who would help me ^_^

And Keep Up the good work everyone!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:43 AM
Why don't you try editing them via the FullBuild0.Package with a package editor like Postal? It has the textures there, and i assume that you can edit them that way. I just looked at them briefly, and they have about 3 dds files each that you can export.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 6:12 PM
The CAS Unitool allows you to export and then replace everything except the bump-maps.

Start a new file in CASPart, select what you want to work on and then hit the Extract Textures button. This will give you the files to work on.

To identify which is which, click on Add New Design and then select the Other Details tab.

The extracted filenames will match up to the keys displayed for each part of your outfit.

When you have edited your files you can Replace them in the design by clicking the Replace buttons and Committing. Any file you have left alone can be left as the original in CASPart Editor.

Just be aware of the files which have an alpha channel and must be saved as DXT5 and those which don't and can be saved as DXT1.

HTH
Scholar
#4 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:31 AM
The mask file is what defines where each pattern/color goes on clothing, so as long as you keep that the same, I think you're fine. So, I think you should be able to go ahead and change the multiplier or specular files for folds & lighting, and the patterns should still work.

...was that the question you were asking? Though if it's anything more complicated I probably won't know the answer anyway

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 11:34 AM
thank you everyone!!
yeah it's exactly what I was asking for.

So, are "multiplier" and "specular" the files I need?
Do you know the specific use of those two files?
I have followed Hanlon Razor's tutorial and I changed those files like he did, but it didn't work... I guess I missed a step.

Well, I'll keep trying, and if I really don't get it, I'll come back here ^_^
Thank you!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 11:56 AM
Just an FYI: Multiplier is called "Base Texture" now in the latest CTU tool.

Make sure you hit Commit at every step.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 10:25 AM
An easier way to extact the file you need quickly is to add a new design, then go to other details. Scan the file list for the thing you want to edit. When you find it, click on the key number (it should be highlighted), then click the find button at the bottom left corner in the window. A preview of the file should come up, and if you look to the bottom right you'll see a button that says Export. Next to that button you'll also see what file format it needs to be saved in

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"