Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:42 PM
Default Can't get any eyes to work in game
I wonder if anyone can identify with me where I've gone wrong. I made new eyes following the tutorial by Thomas step by step, I printed it. I used photoshop as that's what I'm used to and gimp wouldn't open the .dds. I saved them then opened them with S3PI. I got my package file and placed it in the packages folder. They, however, aren't showing up in the game. I had Aikea's eyes too and they didn't show either, so I doubt it's how I've saved them. I used photoshop as that's what I'm used to and gimp wouldn't open the .dds

I did remove all 4 cache files before starting the game.

I can't think of anything else to get these to work, I can't get any eyes to show up, I really like mine too and want to see them on a sim to see if they are worthy of uploading for others.

Just one thing, don't know if it's important. I saved as DXT1 as that's what it said in S3PI. I got a pop up saying that the alpha wouldn't be saved. This is my first time doing cc like this and not sure if that's normal.

If it's nothing to do with that then I'm stuck, all patterns, jacks, HP's skins, etc all show up, just not eyes.

I'm checking in CAS, not already made sims
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:44 PM
You probably want to save the eyes as DXT3 or DXT5 since they do have an alpha channel.

What I would suggest is just doing something RADICAL to the textures - like, scribble white and black lines across it. Try saving as a DXT3 or 5, pop 'em in game, remove your cache files, delete the contents of WorldCaches too, and then see if you can get just the basics showing up.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:45 PM
HP. I was scared to delete world caches as it says riverview, is that ok to delete, it might be my problem. Thanks for the help
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:51 PM
Perfectly okay to delete, yes. If you're scared, rename it temporarily, but I've deleted my WorldCaches many times and no ill has come of it. You may experience some slight lag when using that 'hood at first as the game has to regenerate new stuffs that were cached before, but that should be the only "problem" with it you experience.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:56 PM
I tried to reopen the .dds with S3PI and it opened but didn't give me the options of choosing DXT5 this time, have removed world cache and still my eyes don't show up. How do I get S3PI to open the .dds again and give me the options to save as DXT5?

I even renamed the .dds to see if that made a difference

Sorry to be a pain

EDIT* Sorry I am an idiot. I have to do that in photoshop. I'm trying again now.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:23 PM
It still doesn't work. I put a massive whit cross throught them and saved them as DXT3, still the massive pupils EA ones. I'm lost now and feeling defeated.
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:25 PM
Temporarily, just try Aikea's. Yours are probably fine but better to try some you're -sure- work. Put them the same place the working skins are.

Then go into My Documents\Electronic Arts\ and -rename- the "The Sims 3" folder to "The Sims 3 Backup" and then start the game. See if it works then. I'm wondering if something else is caching and causing your problems.

Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:30 PM
I'll give it a go, I have been trying Aikea's eys in rotation with mine to see if it's me that's gone wrong somewhere, but neither show. I'll do what you said and see if it helps.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:38 PM
No, that didn't work either with both sets of eyes. I can't work this out. I'm going to download the other set of eyes on here and try them. I can't see how any of my hacks would be affecting them so it can't be that. Stumped
retired moderator
#10 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:47 PM
Well, if it were me, I'd take out everything else temporarily too just to be safe, but I don't think anything else would affect it either... Honestly, I'm stumped.

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:50 PM
No I think it's mine. Aikea's aren't too different and with my old eyes, perhaps I can't tell the difference. Syera's ones did show up. Looks like I'll have to start all over and try to see where I went wrong, I checked each step more than once as I did it though, can't work it out
retired moderator
#12 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:55 PM
If you upload your file here, I can take a look and see if I can figure it out (or if someone else who knows what to look for). I'm guessing it's something with either the DDS format, or an incorrect TGI entry.

Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:55 PM
I'm wondering, should I not have renamed the .dds
retired moderator
#14 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:03 PM
I honestly don't use S3PI for it so I'm not 100% sure if renaming matters. If the instance numbers change based on the name you use, then yeah, that would matter. I usually use Postal or QADPE myself and I haven't changed instances in S3PI. I think you -can- define TGI (type, group, instance) when you import a resource into S3PI so if you check what those should be for the original, you can import the proper ones when you import your resource.

Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:08 PM
Where do I find postal? I 've heard about it before and doing a google search on postal, well you can imagine. The renaiming didn't make a difference. I even made usre to chack no mipmaps this time as I thought that was the problem. I just can't do it I suppose until someone does a different tutorial just for genetics.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#16 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:10 PM
http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3Tool....php?board=11.0 <-- there

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:19 PM
Thanks Delphy, I'll give that a go
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:14 PM
I think I'm messing up in which file I'm changing. In the folder HP had for download there are three dds files, which one should I have changed, or should I change all. I only worked on one of them
retired moderator
#19 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:27 PM
I think you need to change all three. I'm pretty sure Aikea's had all three changed.

Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:34 PM
Ok, I only did one, I'll get back to it then, must eat first. Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back one way or the other lol
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 8:35 PM
Is it possible you made a typo in your Type or Instance numbers?

These are the correct Instance numbers...

amFaceEyeColor_o_0xc2b560673f00d806_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0xC2B560673F00D806.dds:
0xC2B560673f00D806

amFaceEyePattern_ma_0x4d6789c9e613edfa_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x4D6789C9E613EDFA.dds:
0x4D6789C9E613EDFA

amFaceEyePattern_o_0x2259d92cc658f431_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x2259D92CC658F431.dds:
0x2259D92CC658F431
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 9:38 PM
No I have those numbers fine. I just am not sure which I have to edit, 1, 2 or all three of them and which. I've tried a couple of ways, this is my first try at making genetics.

Also, when I try to save them again from S3PI, only one will save in the package, how did you get all three to go into the package?

I wish someone would do a small tutorial, this is driving me nuts, lol

Quote: Originally posted by Syera
Is it possible you made a typo in your Type or Instance numbers?

These are the correct Instance numbers...

amFaceEyeColor_o_0xc2b560673f00d806_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0xC2B560673F00D806.dds:
0xC2B560673f00D806

amFaceEyePattern_ma_0x4d6789c9e613edfa_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x4D6789C9E613EDFA.dds:
0x4D6789C9E613EDFA

amFaceEyePattern_o_0x2259d92cc658f431_0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x2259D92CC658F431.dds:
0x2259D92CC658F431
Theorist
#23 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
I wish someone would do a small tutorial, this is driving me nuts, lol

That's how Syera and I felt when we were figuring out how to make four-color patterns in Paint Shop Pro. And guess who ended up writing the tutorial for PSP!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
No I have those numbers fine. I just am not sure which I have to edit, 1, 2 or all three of them and which. I've tried a couple of ways, this is my first try at making genetics.

I edited Eye_Color_o_0 and Eye_Pattern_o_0 and left Eye_Pattern_ma alone.

Quote:
Also, when I try to save them again from S3PI, only one will save in the package, how did you get all three to go into the package?

Click New, then Import each file separately.
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Syera
I edited Eye_Color_o_0 and Eye_Pattern_o_0 and left Eye_Pattern_ma alone.

Click New, then Import each file separately.

yeah those were the two I thought, as the ma one is just the colours and I doubt if anything should be done there.

So if I import them one at a time then all three should end up in the package? I'm importing them all at once, that's my mistake.

I'll have another go now

Thank you for the help
Page 1 of 2