Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 6:55 AM
Default Idea: Mods Installer Manager to solve mods xml conflict
This is not a request. Just sharing my idea.

I don't know anything about programming, and I don't know if my idea is possible to make too. But here's my idea:

We know that mods in TS3 is different from TS2, it saved in xml file. What happen if 2 mods share the same xml file. We must choose one of them. Or we can using doc comparison tool to find the different and combined together manually, so 2 mods can work properly without conflict.

How about to make it automatically. Like using a program/tool that manage the mods and xml file inside TS3 GameplayData.package. When modder made a mod, the Mods Installer Manager saves/records the changes (not the xml file, just the changes).

When user download and install it, Mods Installer Manager apply the changes into user xml file in GameplayData.package. The process like Mods Installer Manager find the xml file needed in GameplayData.package, extract it, apply the changes/code and repack again. And put it in packages/mods folder.

If another mod already installed and sharing the same xml file, Mods Installer Manager can compare and apply the new changes without interfering the old mods, or replacing entire xml file. Just apply the changes only.

If the mod share the same code line in the same xml file, it will take notice to the user, and user can choose between them or take decision what to do with the shared the same code.

It can help common users to minimize the conflict between mod.

It just an idea. I don't know about programming, I don't know if this hard to make and I don't know if that possible to make too.

What do you think?
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 7:20 AM
There are some folks looking at an app for merging mods.

However, only "tuning" mods use xml, and those aren't likely to conflict with each other anyway, unless two mods actually want to work on the same exact value... and in that case, they're going to conflict no matter what.

The conflict issue comes up principally with "core" mods, and the files those modify are not xml files... they're compiled (binary) files... so making a tool to merge them is a lot more involved.

At least, this is my understanding of the situation.

String Tables (STBLs) are yet another issue, and Chann's looking at a tool for merging those too

Basically, the game is made up of a lot of different pieces with different functionality, and different tools and approaches are needed for each one of em.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 8:32 AM
Personally I think all users should configure their own games. With the tuning being in plain english where you only have to type in a new number, there is no need for anyone to be downloading tuning mods that might clash, or not be exactly what you wanted.

Just take a safe copy of your original C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay\GameplayData.package and put it somewhere safe (in case you do mess up and have to get it back), then go right ahead and edit the original file using the package editor of your choice. Everything is written out in xml explaining what every number means.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)