Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 3:29 AM
those utopian roads... lol
I've noticed something ingame on TS3 obviously....

the roads... they are so clean, and if you compare the roads from the actual life, it's dirty, it has cigar's on the side of the road, papers, oil, dirt "as mentioned", etc...

sense I'm not a modder and never had the experience to mod, I don't actually know how to change the meshes from the roads or modify them.

but seriously, wouldn't any modder agree with me here, about the roads being so clean and perfect?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 8:38 AM
You don't have to change the meshes. A smple texture replacement will probably do. And is should be easy. But I think there are more important mods to do currently.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 9:01 AM
No mod is too unimportant I could sound off on how many mods I think are completely pointless and irrelevant, but it's different for every person.

Clean roads? Personally I think they're too bright and smooth. Roads should look a bit darker and grittier.
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 4:24 PM
I don't think that a texture replacement will give you a satisfying result. The texture will repeat itself after a while and if you put a oilspill on it you'll see this oilspill all over the road at exactly the same distance, which would look unnatural.

Bringing details on the road isn't that easy as it might look at first... you can however try to make some cracks in the road or something (which wouldn't look too unnatural if they repeat).
Details like cigarrettes at some (random) spots on the sidewalk would probably require a flat mesh with a transparent texture lying upon the sidewalk, but that would require to be able to create new meshes and to place them somehow in the neighbourhood. And this isn't possible right now, as far as I know.

Personally I like the idea of bringing a little more detail into the sim-world. I mean... sunshine everyday, no trash wherever you look... it looks so ... sterile.
Lol... how about some bums running around in the city, sleeping in the park or something, sponge for food and such? Pointless? Yes. But it would add immersion.
Instructor
#5 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 1:37 AM
Didn't they say that the Sims 3 are going to be more realistic?
Why then do cars drive through each other?
I never seen anything like that in any other game, how hard could it have been to make them behave normally.
I agree, the whole town looks to sterile.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 4:19 PM
o.O Rather than doing a whole road-edit , I thought I remembered in either TS1 or TS2 there was a hack to be able to place items on, or edit areas off-grid... =) I wouldnt mind being able to take those terrain paints off grid a bit lol.. if that were possible o.O I'd think any road could just be "Painted" that way right? get some ruddy gravel color or make dirt roads and what-not?

of course I dont know whats really possible or not in the game =9 and just wishin'