Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 6:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I see cloned sims :O
I looked everywhere and found relatively nothing in regards to this, so I think it is okay to start a new thread and perhaps no one will slap me in the face for doing that?

All right, honesty time. I have messed up enough with this game when I was younger. Enough to totally understand now, almost thirteen years later, what is corruption, why one should not move grimmie with the family (I was a child! I blame Olive Specter for this! She had a casual encounter with him! I Obviously wanted that for other sims) and why (fake) Bella Goth should stay in Strangetown and probably start a new life there. Today, I firmly believe my game is being well cared for.

You may understand my confusion when suddenly, a few sims began to show up every now and then in community lots... when the original ones were already there. First time this happened was two weeks ago, in that Uber-Mega-Monsterhood that I recently discovered and instantly fell in love with. Wedding is next week by the way, and you are all invited provided that you eat what I buy for you instead of raiding my fridge.

Okay, so, Downtown, 10 pm. Tybalt Capp and Angela Pleasant were on a date, and since I was so excited to finally be able to make sims from different neighbourhoods meet (because I swear, it is such a thrill, as if they were half breeds or something) I just could not stick to these two alone and helped other sims whom I aesthetically liked together meet each other to see how many bolts were between them by making them selectable. At some point, while I was doing screen parkour to keep up with the date, Mary-Sue Pleasant and Gabe O'Mackey's soon-to-turn-into-something-else friendship, and Don Lothario's affair with Jenny Smith (do not even ask), I spotted something very odd walking down the sidewalk.

Hey, was my first thought, that sim has the same outerwear and hairstyle than... Oh my god, THIS IS ANGELA!

By instinct, I hit pause. I did not have to hover the mouse over her to know that this girl and my real Angela shared their full names, but I still did. And of course, I did not have to check on the original, but I also did just that, and real Angela and her mouth were preeetty busy upstairs. (I assure you, whoever decided to portray her as the good twin is a vile liar. She is not a saint, she is a freaking pervert, and I am not sure ACR is entirely to blame here ). Anyway, I took it lightly at first, instead joking in my head about how Mary-Sue had somehow given birth to triplets, one of them had got lost, and because I am quite silly and disgusting, how Tybalt could go beyond the whole twin sisters fantasty and get identical triplets

But due to previous experience, a little part of me was scared for my game, and thus I forced an error on the 'clone' and merely deleted her without making her selectable to nose around. I thought it could be a tiny problem with the super-hood, considering it did not happen again through the week and that those kind of projects must be complicated, therefore a couple of anomalies are to be expected. I also did some research and found nothing, so I let it slip and continued with my game.

The second week, however, it happened again, this time in Belladona Cove. Another Kimberly Cordial showed up when the supposedly original was already having dinner (seriously, why a twin again? :giggler and because I am so brave, I did the same I did with clone!Angela.

The day after jokes ended for me. Tank Grunt appeared twice in Strangetown too. So did Dina Caliente and Cassandra Goth in Pleasantview and Rose Greenman in the Uber-Megahood. And a while ago this also happened in that Genderswapped Neighbourhood I downloaded this week with two or three sims. I deleted all of them the second I noticed. I did not give them the time to talk to anyone, I did not make them selectable to see if they were exact copies of my sims. I just got rid of them fast.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Since I started playing again three weeks ago after two long years, I have been very careful with mods. In fact, I use a backup downloads folder, so I did not add anything new and this has never happened to me in the past. I ran the Hoodchecker just in case and it removed very few things. Should I... pry on these clone sims next time I spot one?

Sorry if this has been hashed out before. I personally found nothing remotely relevant.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:05 AM
I'll move this to help just in case.

When I first made Coral bay and it had no townies my game seem to like calling up the same sim twice. Once I had more sims it stopped. Not sure if that could be your problem but could be.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:20 AM
Either you somehow ended up with duplicates of each subhood (I accidentally added two sets of Pleasantview townies, but I don't see it being too likely with playables) or they're different instances of the same Sim, which can happen quite easily (I've seen it in apartment lots and college dorms) -- as long as you're careful that they don't interact you'll be fine, and even if they do the HoodChecker can fix it.

I'd suggest taking a look at the character browser in SimPE.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:54 PM
I played an empty hood without any townies only ones - there were only 12 Sims and 5 townies for a long time - and no duplicate ever showed up. So Jo may have a point about no townies.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 1:42 PM
Well, now that you guys mention it, in this Uber-Megahood I do ban downtownies and townies with the Visitor Controller, but only because I hardly ever see a playable character otherwise, and why would I download that super-hood if I want my pre-mades to interact with townies?

Besides, I only ban them there. Six neighbourhoods in one equals to plenty of characters, so I see no reason for the game to duplicate them. It is not something I do all the time, anyway, and in common neighbourhoods the idea does not even cross my mind because there must be like, only 30 playables, so there is no need. I forgot to mention this, sorry. I do not think this relates to the clones, though.

Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Either you somehow ended up with duplicates of each subhood (I accidentally added two sets of Pleasantview townies, but I don't see it being too likely with playables) or they're different instances of the same Sim, which can happen quite easily (I've seen it in apartment lots and college dorms) -- as long as you're careful that they don't interact you'll be fine, and even if they do the HoodChecker can fix it.

I'd suggest taking a look at the character browser in SimPE.

I would discard the possibility of duplicated subhoods. I frankly cannot remember an instance in which I might have done whatever it takes to duplicate a subhood. And as I said before, this also happens in common neighbourhoods, where the only subhood is Bluewater Village.

The different intances of the same sims are another story, however. Would you mind explaining a little bit more so I may take a look at the characters in SimPE? What should I track down in this case?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 1:55 PM
If they're different instances of the same sim on a lot, you will only see one version of that sim in SimPE - which represents one character file. This is not a problem. If you see multiple versions of the same sim in SimPE, you have a problem.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 6:53 PM
It appears that I do not have a problem then. Well, it never hurts to ask! Next time I see one of those clones I will man up and check them out. I want to see if they share aspirations, careers, personalities. I do not know what would surprise me more
Forum Resident
#8 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:08 PM
The clones must never be allowed to meet and talk to each other - that's a problem. I'd use the hood checker to check out your neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:18 PM
In the original post she mentioned already using HoodChecker.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LilSister
The clones must never be allowed to meet and talk to each other - that's a problem. I'd use the hood checker to check out your neighborhood.

No it isn't - people keep saying it is but it isn't. Any things that get set from doing that can be deleted either by the Hood Checker or in SimPE.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I played an empty hood without any townies only ones - there were only 12 Sims and 5 townies for a long time - and no duplicate ever showed up.

My Sedona currently has 4 playables (well, plus the 8 babies now that they're all born, but they don't show up on community lots) plus 1 garden club guy, 1 cashier, 1 mail carrier, 1 paper carrier, and a matchmaker. No townies at all. I don't think any hobby mavens have even spawned yet. So far no duplicates have shown up, and I've had the guys all take turns at both community lots quite a bit.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
My Sedona currently has 4 playables (well, plus the 8 babies now that they're all born, but they don't show up on community lots) plus 1 garden club guy, 1 cashier, 1 mail carrier, 1 paper carrier, and a matchmaker. No townies at all. I don't think any hobby mavens have even spawned yet. So far no duplicates have shown up, and I've had the guys all take turns at both community lots quite a bit.

Yes, now you and JustPetro say it, I concur. Little Carping had a limited number of sims in it when it first started and I never saw duplicates either. Though duplicate sims are a known thing and, as long as they are different instances of the same sim, it's not usually a problem. I wonder what prompts the game to call them - specifically duplicates. I know the sort of thing the game does to call sims at any given time. Hmmm

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 1:58 PM
Sorry if this comes as irrelevant, but I played for a little while yesterday and saw no clones, and recently, I found this old, funny thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=565164

Now, I laughed my head off, and even if it does not really seem to be my case, could it be that I managed to avoid that smelly... bizarre train wreck upon forcing an error on the first clone I saw right away? Most people who claimed to have experienced this 'glitch' said they deleted the clones with moveobjects, but did not work for them, and many pictures corroborate that