Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 12:15 AM
Default Standardised Creator Policies
Hi All,

Overview: adding functionality into the site to help with creator policies.

Description of feature:

While working on a Wiki list to display other peoples Creator policies, and in internal talks inside MTS2, it was determined that we needed some easy standardised way of telling the creator policies of people actually on MTS2 itself.

While a lot of creators have thier policies within the About Me box on the profile (which is what I originally envisaged), or in the signature, sometimes scanning the text is hard and not everybody does it, and additionally some people have policies inside an image which makes it even harder to be machine translated.

We came up with the idea of having a common representation of the Creator Policies and to that end, designed the My Policies page, where you can setup your policies in an easy to read manner.

How to use:

Go to http://www.modthesims2.com/mypolicies.php, or use the Creator Links dropdown at the top.

The policies will appear on your profile page underneath your download area, and will take a couple minutes to appear (as per other profile changes)

Please note that even though you might have policies already setup, I strongly advise you to try using this new system instead - it's standardised, so everybody will have the same text (customised to thier policy) and that will make it easier for others.

If you absolutely must keep your old policy, you can check the "Special - See Profile" option at the bottom and put everything else on Not Applicable. This will reduce the Creator Policies box on your profile to the shortest possible. However it is not and will not be possible to remove the box entirely.

For example of the policy see my profile page.

Let me know what you think!

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
14 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#2 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 1:10 AM
Thanks Delphy, this will help a LOT.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 1:33 AM
This will help out so much when uploading lots with CC in the future. Before, I had a hard time figuring out creator policies without actually having to contact the person. This will be so much easier and less of a hassle to get things uploaded quickly!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#4 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 1:58 AM
I prefer the simple approach to creator policies. Because of this, my creator policy is a single word: "Meh.". You should try it. It saves a lot of hassle.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 4:00 AM
Delphy, this is great idea, but there really should be an option in which one must ask permission before cloning meshes or including hem in recolors etc. Many creators, including myself, like to keep track of where there creations are going.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:59 AM
Absolutely brilliant idea - THANK YOU!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:08 AM
ShanOw, erm, you did look at the policies page, right? Becuase there is an option "Ask me before modifying/using".

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:10 AM
One question: When I check the "not applicable" boxes within the "my meshes" and "my recolours" categories, they stay checked like good little boxes, but when I try it for an entire category ("Walls/Floors" in my case), the box does not stay unchecked after saving and the category in queston still shows up under the Creator Policy. Is it really supposed to work that way?
Not actually evil.
#9 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:14 AM
Delphy - I've used the new creator policy thingie and it works as advertised! Shows up on my profile page, very clear and easy to read. Now I can use the old policies box for news for folks who check my page. Lots of people already use their policies box that way, so maybe you could rename it the news box or something.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Forum Resident
#10 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
ShanOw, erm, you did look at the policies page, right? Becuase there is an option "Ask me before modifying/using".

That is more of a global thing for everything, whereas I only want people to ask permission if they include the meshes with recolors.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 9:12 AM
GREAT IDEA! Thanks for this.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:31 PM
I really like this addition. I had trouble writing my own policies (not sure what I even wanted), so a standardized policy guide is very nice. This way it's pretty clear what you wish people to do/not do with your work.

Great job!

She works in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was her true medium; a master.

My role playing community: Legends of Ophiuchus
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 4:09 PM
nixnivis, I just tried it and when I tick the not applicable box it works as expected directly on the my policies page. However, as the note says, the actual profile page may be delayed a couple of minutes due to caching. Perhaps this is the issue you are seeing?

ShanOw: Like I said if you have specifics then you have to mention them in your About/Policy box - the point of this particular feature is to make *standardised* policies available to add - if a creator then wants to make up thier own... well, go for it.

Slippery When Wet
#14 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 5:49 PM
nixnivis's problem is probably that It doesn't work in IE7
In IE7, the checkbox itself that you click becomes disabled, then you can't uncheck it.
And being as it's disabled, IE is probably not sending the value.

Works great with FF.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:05 PM
I have a suggesion to add an additional option to the list for object mods - sometimes an object is in two parts with one part linked to another required mesh, and so can be risky to include in a lot as maybe only half the functionality will be enabled, so for the sake of one object a policy can require special policy, which I think this new method is trying to eliminate.

Maybe another idea is to allow/encourage creators to put an "exceptions to standard policy" rule in the upload itself rather than a special policy?

In the meantime I am trotting off to see if I can find some help on combining linked meshes into one object so I can get rid of my special policy box.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Wiki Wizard
#16 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:48 PM
SWEET! Thanks SO much

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#17 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:51 PM Last edited by nixnivis : 8th Jan 2009 at 6:58 PM.
Delphy, no, that's not it - the walls/floors section is still there (even though it's been hours since I last tried to check the "not applicable" box). I check the "not applicable" box, save the Creator Policy page - but when the saved page comes back, that particular box isn't checked any longer, and there's also no change to the policy on my profile. Even after several minutes.

Quote: Originally posted by tunaisafish
nixnivis's problem is probably that It doesn't work in IE7.

Since I'm not running IE7, I doubt that's the problem.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and IE6.

ETA: It is as tunaisafish says, though - the checkbox does get greyed out and can't be unchecked. Note that this only happens with the "not applicable" box for a whole category; the "not applicable" boxes within a category works just fine.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:58 PM
I just tried doing that exact same thing on both nene and linna and... it worked perfectly. The Creator Policies page always gives me the correct view with the right amount of checks and greyed out bits.

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#19 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 7:11 PM
It does work in Firefox, so I can get the offending section out of my profile that way, and that's really the main thing.

IE keep refusing to understand it, though (even after I cleared out my cookies and cache) - and it gets worse. When I return to the creator policy page after changing it in Firefox, and try to uncheck the "not applicable" box just to see if it works, the section remains greyed out - but the checkbox gets greyed out, too, and I can't recheck it. *shakes head*

But as I said, it works in Firefox, so I can solve it that way. I think this is one of those unsolvable things we'll simply have to chalk up to IE being stupid... Thanks for trying, though!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 8:02 PM
I totally didn't read that bit about IE earlier... must have skipped it for some reason.

Anyway I've gotten rid of the semitransparent disabled state since it didn't work properly in IE, and switched it to a simple hide/show div instead - and now it works fine in both IE6 and FF. Can somebody confirm it works in IE7 too?

Thanks

Not actually evil.
#21 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 8:16 PM
Tested the "not applicable" box in IE7, it works fine now.
I can check it, uncheck it, rinse, repeat, works.
The pertinent section collapses / uncollapses correctly.
(I hate IE7 sooooo much....)

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#22 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 9:02 PM
It works like a charm over here, too. Thank you for that!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 10:18 PM
Great idea, Delphy! But do you think you could add "Taking/Not Taking Requests" to the list, so people will know if a creator doesn't want to be bothered?

Live. Laugh. Love. Sim.
Not actually evil.
#24 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 10:42 PM
freesimmy21 MTS2 site policy forbids people from making requests unless the creator specifically says they take requests. Some people just don't bother to read the site rules.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#25 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I totally didn't read that bit about IE earlier... must have skipped it for some reason.

Anyway I've gotten rid of the semitransparent disabled state since it didn't work properly in IE, and switched it to a simple hide/show div instead - and now it works fine in both IE6 and FF. Can somebody confirm it works in IE7 too?

Thanks

Delphy it work fine I have window XP and internet Explorer 7 no problem here.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Page 1 of 3