Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 30th May 2018 at 4:47 PM
I don't think marketers see Sims 2 players as having to choose between 2 and 4 - most of us already have Sims 2; but nothing prevents them to try and sell us sims 4 as well WHILE keeping us happy because UC is there and free. They do see us as people who may buy Sims 4 as well.

And it works too - there are many players who play - and like - all 3 games - and many Sims 2 players (and creators) have moved on to Sims 4 a long time ago.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#77 Old 30th May 2018 at 5:47 PM
My speculation is that they don't want to support it. If they sell the game, they have to provide support for it, not just the larger fixes they do for UC every couple of years, but they'd also need to be willing to walk people through doing the more fiddly things that you have to do to get UC up and running on a modern system. It's easier not to sell it than to train their workers in supporting an old game that probably won't make that much money, relatively speaking.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 30th May 2018 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There is, of course, the alternative: a simple marketing idea. Keep the sims 2 players around - they are loyal, have bought tons of expansion and stuff packs - we may convince them to move on to Sims 4.
Every time I sign into Origin, the first thing I see is Sims 4!

they could update the engine and some of the objects, do nothing else to it, and we would all buy it, again. But, we'd have to know it was the REAL sims 2 game, just updated. Then they could start the whole stuff/expansion pack merry go around and again, and we'd all buy them.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#79 Old 30th May 2018 at 6:35 PM
We would, I think - but I think that there is another whole new market out there - players who get bored quite quickly and don't have the patience to build up a hood over time, for one, and others who are more interested in the graphics than in the game itself. We are probably the more picky players and in the minority.
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:45 PM
I know I would :P
Alchemist
#81 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:51 PM
IDK. Part of the reason this game is nearly perfect for me is that it's highly customized. A Sims 2 reboot would have to be flawless and packed with new features before I'd consider it, since it would certainly not be compatible with some of the larger mods created by people who've left the community.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 30th May 2018 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
My speculation is that they don't want to support it. If they sell the game, they have to provide support for it, not just the larger fixes they do for UC every couple of years, but they'd also need to be willing to walk people through doing the more fiddly things that you have to do to get UC up and running on a modern system. It's easier not to sell it than to train their workers in supporting an old game that probably won't make that much money, relatively speaking.

They should just try to release the game again. It is sold very quickly, because I often see the message "How to get the game?".
Theorist
#83 Old 30th May 2018 at 8:52 PM
How awesome would it be if they just released a remaster? Updating the CAS to modern standards (I'm not even talking about CAST, just body shapes, shoes, accessories and better face sculpting), updating the build mode and *maybe* fix some of the more obvious corruption issues, I'd be happy to pay a lot of money for that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 30th May 2018 at 9:08 PM
Who wouldn't want it. Though would be even splendid If those of the old copy could get it for free, since it is just an upgrade.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 4:37 PM
EA just isn't a good company and doesn't care about the players or even their own developers, all they care about is money. Recently, there have been some pretty convincing rumours that Bethesda is remastering Fallout 3, which came out 10 years ago, only 4 years after The Sims 2. If EA truly cared about anything other than money they would see that The Sims 2 still has, after The Sims 3, the most active community when it comes to modding and the like. If they wanted to, they could remaster The Sims 2 at any given moment, even if the code is 14 years old now, but they don't want to because it's not going to bring in the money. This is also the reason The Sims 4 is barely getting any new DLC nowadays, and when it does it's mostly stuff the fans want and will buy (Cats & Dogs, Seasons and SPs that only dedicated fans buy) because that's the only way they're going to make money off of the game, the general public has no real interest in The Sims anymore. As such, I don't think we'll be getting The Sims 5 anytime soon.

Honestly a good business model for EA would be to listen to the fans and players before releasing The Sims 5, let the developers work on it and not rush it onto the shelves half-finished (like they did with literally every The Sims game besides the original), and then just not release any more sequels and keep providing updates and DLC for The Sims 5. They're kind of trying to do this with The Sims 4, but the issue is that the interest isn't there because of how lackluster the game was in its infancy (and is still to this day) and they're not going to get people to buy or talk about the game anymore, no matter how much they try. Announcing a new Sims game would definitely create a lot of interest and generate positive PR, especially if the game is fleshed-out and playable at launch. But this is all just a dream and it's EA. I would never expect them to actually listen to the community.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 7:47 PM
Let then Bethesda do remaster of The Sims 2. They love remasters
Field Researcher
#87 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 9:17 PM
Today at the EA Play nothing was shown about Sims. What do you think about this?
Scholar
#88 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 9:19 PM
I am completely unsurprised. It goes right along with the idea that they're killing off the franchise, sadly.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#89 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 10:15 PM
What did they actually show at EA Play?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#90 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 10:28 PM
I actually just talked with a friend today about how stupid the sims games have become and we both was like
To be honest, they could earn tons of money on a sims 2 remake if they fixed everything they coded wrong back then!
Sure we sims gamers have been doing this for them - but if they had updated the game properly instead of being the small minor tweaks now and then - and with how popular sims 2 are, I would personally think it would be wrong to make a sims 5!
I remember sims 2 was so popular in my childhood that it spawned it’s own magazine

Obviously EA is blind as usual and can’t even see how many money they would earn if they remade sims 2! I would buy the remake where all the coding is fixed! Where neighborhoods doesn’t burn.
I’ve talked to a friend of mine and he says EA easily could fix it, BECAUSE HE FIXED IT
On his own
Back in the days
Literally
\---/ though this is 10 years ago and back then he didn’t know that this giant community existed!
I often just look at him, hating him for deleting this coding because it was just personal practice for him \---/

Anyway, the fact that my friend could fix the game - easily as he said - would just prove EA could do the same shit
Obviously they would have to update a lot of textures and animations but taking that most of the ground basis is there I don’t think it would be too hard to do again \---/

Obviously we would never see a sims 2 remake because EA haven’t learned good remakes sells as hell currently
Just look at all the remakes there have come to the Ps4 lately.

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#91 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 11:15 PM
Quote:
...many Sims 2 players (and creators) have moved on to Sims 4 a long time ago.

For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would trade S2 for 4-I mean the differences are so stark and the game is so dumbed down that one could be in a coma and play the game without having to do anything.

It's been nickled and dimed to death, and the flogging is bringing up dust.

Just call it a day, EA and shut it all down. You had a good long run at our wallets. Move on to destroy another great franchise with your greed. You did it to this one a long time ago..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
There is nothing like the Sims 2 and may never be again.

Open world is not for Sims games and they if they do bring back a new one its needs to be in the style of Sims 1 and 2.

The open world isn't a bad thing is just you got to do it right. Sims 3 is too big and Sims 4 is too small.
Theorist
#93 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 8:24 AM
While I love to dream of a Sims 2 remake with all the EAxis bugs fixed and stuff, in all honesty, (that just sounds so funny, cuz I mean it's not like I was lying before :P.. err but anyways) I don't think I'd spend the money on them all again and it all come down to one word - mods.

While EA might fix all their own bugs and stuff they are NEVER gonna make the mods, either incorporated or stand alones, that are deemed above PG13. Nor would they probably make any of the mods for the things that they purposely put in their that we feel are totally stupid and mod out. I would so love to have a game that had less mods for EAxis stoopidity, but I think I'll stick with the tested and weathered mods in my old game as it suits me just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMple
The open world isn't a bad thing is just you got to do it right. Sims 3 is too big and Sims 4 is too small.

I completely agree! Sims 4 idea is amazing. Fragmented semi-open world alows for better performance, more sims occupying the space and lots could all be loaded (EA's stupid for having a loading screen between lots in a district).

How I would've done it is have three types of districts. One residential where you can have up to 15 residential lots and 5 community lots, a community district where you can have up to 10 community lots and 10 residential and a custom district with up to 20 lots of your choice.

This fragmentation for the reason of having residential lots already loaded but with, or without household sims in them, not simulated. Community lots would be all loaded and simulated to some extent (townie and NPCs with roles, like in ts3 and sims loaded on the lot. Visitor sims would not be simulated till your sim visits the lot, just like visiting residential lots in sims 3 and having household sims load in it only when you get in the lot).

Nice addition would be ability to create townie groups ourselves (ts2 apt life) and then assign ratio of distribution of those npc groups per desired district.
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 4:30 PM Last edited by SIMple : 18th Jun 2018 at 7:29 AM.
What EA needs to understand is that they can't sell an unfinished game. Let imagine that you went to the furniture shop and you want to buy a basic chair and once you gong home you realize there's the leg for the chair and the leg sold separately, that what I am feeling about EA. Sims 4 could have been a better game if some feature is fixed and that. I not sure there's going to be The Sims 5 unless Someone else is going to rip it off so good, but that means that they had to promise a lot otherwise to the gamers otherwise they will think it the same crappy game that no one ask for
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMple
What EA needs to understand is that they can't sell an unfinished game. Let imagine that you went to the furniture shop and you want to buy a basic chair and once you gong home you realize there's the leg for the chair and the leg sold separately, that what I am feeling about EA. Sims 4 could have been a better game if some feature is fixed and that. I not sure there's going to be The Sims 5 unless Someone else is going to rip it off so good, but that means that they had to promise a lot otherwise to the gamers otherwise they will think it the same crappy game that no one ask for

Like let not forget The Singles, seem a good idea but things can be improved a lot. Just adding sex in it doesn't mean that sloppy gameplay, graphics will be ignored. I had to watch it and it seems boring and could be an interesting game but in the end it just an explicit rip-off. Youtubers Life is boring, it sort of fun for 20 min then you just realize that you really just Go to Fridge, Sleep, job, work repeat. Yes, you can talk to friends and go to the event but there normally are boring and tedious. At least The Sims has stuff you can do other than just work and they did it well, most of the time.

If you want The Sims 5, MAKE IT! Whether on Unity on whatever game engine and make your own game series or just make a fan-made game.
Scholar
#97 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 5:06 PM Last edited by gwynne : 17th Jul 2018 at 8:01 PM.
EA may own the Sims, but they don't own the idea of a life simulator any more than they own the idea of a city simulator. Which is why Cities: Skylines had lots of success after EA abandoned SimCity after the laughable 2013 attempt/DLC shell.

Games are ripping each other off constantly right now. I have some suspicions about why no one has come in and tried to do the Cities: Skylines move on life sims so far. One is that The Sims is still seen as a very female-centric game, to the point that I think it blinds game developers and producers to how much money there is out there for them. Another is that the hottest games right now are very 'shoot-em-up' or survival-based.

https://steamdb.info/graph/
Mad Poster
#98 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:48 PM
I've skimmed and read through the posts of this thread and pretty much agree with everyone. Specifically with the ideas of rebooting the Sims 2 and perhaps including people from the Sims community in on the development of the next iteration. And when I say "people", I'm not referring to YouTubers who are pretty much sponsored by EA. I'm talking about people from the actual modding community: ModTheSims, GoS, Simlogical, MATY, etc... Those are the ones who know exactly what the Sims community actually needs. They pretty much took over fixing cr@p EA didn't bother fixing, or didn't notice to begin with...

A reboot of the Sims 2 is highly unlikely though, because the appeal, in this day and age, it seems would be: better graphics and newer content, pretty much.

The reason why the Sims (4) games might be lacking these days is that EA seems to have focused on providing new(-er) content, at the cost of quantity and at the cost of things that should've been in the game to begin. Quality might be good, but it seems to come with a hefty price these days...

You know, there was a video by a guy on Youtube called Optimus, who basically discussed the idea that EA might be ruining the Sims. He makes some pretty good points actually. Of course, this garnered a lot of attention from people, and even a Youtuber who responded to him. He of course responded back. Perhaps you all would like to check it out and see what you all think...
Test Subject
#99 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 6:11 PM
Mobile Games have taken over and it sucks like helloooo PC gamers and console players exist; I love the sims franchise but sims mobile is a flop IMO
Scholar
#100 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Games are ripping each other off constantly right now. I have some suspicions about why no one has come in and tried to do the Cities: Skylines move on life sims so far. One is that The Sims is still seen as a very female-centric game, to the point that I think it blinds game developers and producers to how much money there is out there for them. Another is that the hottest games right now are very 'shoot-em-up' or survival-based.

https://steamdb.info/graph/

Also, high-quality life simulators are very complex to do convincingly, typically taking a visionary to imagine a step that is not so derirative as to get potential customers and lawyers alike thinking, "cheap copy of Sims" (or, before that "cheap copy of Little Computer People").
Page 4 of 4