Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 2:09 AM
Default Cloned Object not showing in game
So I cloned the Potted Potential Vase and edited the mesh in Maya but its not showing up. I edited the mesh by importing a new object mesh I made into the scene with the Vase and then I only exported the new mesh as an obj file. Then, I imported that into SimPe. I deleted the vase and shadow groups GMDC section. Then I imported my texture onto the object.

After opening the game I could see the item in the catalog but its thumbnail is blank and it doesnt appear. Im guessing I did something wrong so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 3:35 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Aug 2023 at 3:50 AM.
you need to either keep the original subset name in the GMDC, or change it in every resource that needs it.
Keeping it is simplest (and is much less likely to cause problems).

You should be able to find the original subset name in the "shape (SHPE)" resource. Can't remember the name of the subset for that item, but it's probably something like "vase".

When you use the mesh importer window, you can choose "replace" which will switch out the original mesh for yours.

Replace = replaces the mesh group, gives it the original subset name from SimPE.
Add = adds the mesh group with the original subset name from the mesh program
Rename = adds the mesh group, lets you rename it to something else before adding it
Nothing = Doesn't do anything to the mesh group (no adding/replacing)
(possibly one other, if so I can't remember what it does)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
you need to either keep the original subset name in the GMDC, or change it in every resource that needs it.
Keeping it is simplest (and is much less likely to cause problems).

You should be able to find the original subset name in the "shape (SHPE)" resource. Can't remember the name of the subset for that item, but it's probably something like "vase".

When you use the mesh importer window, you can choose "replace" which will switch out the original mesh for yours.

Replace = replaces the mesh group, gives it the original subset name from SimPE.
Add = adds the mesh group with the original subset name from the mesh program
Rename = adds the mesh group, lets you rename it to something else before adding it
Nothing = Doesn't do anything to the mesh group (no adding/replacing)
(possibly one other, if so I can't remember what it does)

Okay so I replaced the mesh, is it fine for me to delete the ground shadow? Also, when I go to replace the texture it says shadow? Will this only affect the shadow of the object?

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 5:38 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Aug 2023 at 5:56 AM.
Have you removed the texture resources from the object, and/or repo'd the item? Right now it doesn't look like the item has any texture resources for the object (TXTR/MMAT/TXMT), only the ones for the shadow. You can't use the shadow ones (at least not as-is) for the object, and it's not recolorable as-is, either.

Have you installed the CEP? Not sure if you need it for this particular object, but for some objects you need it so they're recolorable when you clone them. Otherwise you have to edit them to be recolorable.

Also, here's a guide on the cloning options - Yours should look like the picture (plus/minus "change description" and/or "create standalone object"). If not, it's possible something went wrong there.
https://modthesims.info/t/71411

---

The TXTR that says shadow will only affect the shadow. This one (if you want working shadows) needs to be changed to fit your object, imported, and then changed to "ExtRaw8bit" with the dropdown list.
Pforest has a tutorial for making shadows here.

If you don't want the shadow, delete the shadow item(s) in the GMDC. This will remove the (indoor) shadow ingame.

You can delete the shadow TXTR if you want to cut down the filesize with a few kb. There are also shadow resources in the SHPE and TXMT you can delete, but it's not necessary. If you want to add a shadow to the object at a later point, you can keep these resources in the file. It's much easier to just add the shadow mesh than adding all the missing resources.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 6:43 PM
Have you removed the texture resources from the object, and/or repo'd the item? Right now it doesn't look like the item has any texture resources for the object (TXTR/MMAT/TXMT), only the ones for the shadow. You can't use the shadow ones (at least not as-is) for the object, and it's not recolorable as-is, either.

Have you installed the CEP? Not sure if you need it for this particular object, but for some objects you need it so they're recolorable when you clone them. Otherwise you have to edit them to be recolorable.

Also, here's a guide on the cloning options - Yours should look like the picture (plus/minus "change description" and/or "create standalone object"). If not, it's possible something went wrong there.
https://modthesims.info/t/71411

---

The TXTR that says shadow will only affect the shadow. This one (if you want working shadows) needs to be changed to fit your object, imported, and then changed to "ExtRaw8bit" with the dropdown list.
Pforest has a tutorial for making shadows here.

If you don't want the shadow, delete the shadow item(s) in the GMDC. This will remove the (indoor) shadow ingame.

You can delete the shadow TXTR if you want to cut down the filesize with a few kb. There are also shadow resources in the SHPE and TXMT you can delete, but it's not necessary. If you want to add a shadow to the object at a later point, you can keep these resources in the file. It's much easier to just add the shadow mesh than adding all the missing resources.

I have CEP installed but how do I edit it to be recolorable?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 8:00 PM
Just tested, and with that vase, you need to tick the "create standalone object" option, or you won't get all the resources you need. Instead, it will repo the object to the original mesh file.

The best option is to recreate the file, and then import the mesh and texture and such into that one.

(Honestly, I prefer keeping that box ticked when making deco objects - leaving it unticked can be useful when cloning beds when you want to keep the bedding repo'd to bedding, and similar projects, but sometimes it can create problems - so if you don't get the proper resources you need, try remaking the file and ticking the box).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 10:23 PM
Just tested, and with that vase, you need to tick the "create standalone object" option, or you won't get all the resources you need. Instead, it will repo the object to the original mesh file.

The best option is to recreate the file, and then import the mesh and texture and such into that one.

(Honestly, I prefer keeping that box ticked when making deco objects - leaving it unticked can be useful when cloning beds when you want to keep the bedding repo'd to bedding, and similar projects, but sometimes it can create problems - so if you don't get the proper resources you need, try remaking the file and ticking the box).

Oh I see. So I ended up cloning a different item, The Little Jug of Wishes and I did everything else you said. It turned out pretty well although I need to work on my texturing skills.

One last question, is there a good way to know how big or small smothing will be in game? I just imported the mesh of whatever I cloned and then made it bigger/smaller, then opened it in game. I was just wondering if there's an easier way instead of having to go back and forth between SimPE and the game so much.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 10:52 PM
I sometimes use a sim body for reference, or I use an item I roughly know the size of ingame. You could use a table if it's for a deco object that's supposed to go on a table.

Before you change the mesh, you can extract the original mesh and use it as a size guide (import it into the meshing program you use).

A lot of the vases are quite large, so if you're making a smaller item, you can clone a smaller ingame item - I prefer the sculpture of a wooden man (the kind often used for art drawing). That one also is coded to go onto more shelves than several of the vases (this can also be edited, but it's a bit more advanced than basic object creation).

You can extract meshes by cloning the objects and extracting the mesh from them, or (if you know what the item resources are called or don't mind guessing a bit - most are somewhat logical) you can use the "Finder" tab, with "namemap" selected. This one locates GMDCs and textures. Make sure to only extract them - don't edit anything (extract meshes as obj files via "extract", or as GMDC via right-click/extract, and textures via "extract" and save as the format you want).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2023 at 11:08 PM
I sometimes use a sim body for reference, or I use an item I roughly know the size of ingame. You could use a table if it's for a deco object that's supposed to go on a table.

Before you change the mesh, you can extract the original mesh and use it as a size guide (import it into the meshing program you use).

A lot of the vases are quite large, so if you're making a smaller item, you can clone a smaller ingame item - I prefer the sculpture of a wooden man (the kind often used for art drawing). That one also is coded to go onto more shelves than several of the vases (this can also be edited, but it's a bit more advanced than basic object creation).

You can extract meshes by cloning the objects and extracting the mesh from them, or (if you know what the item resources are called or don't mind guessing a bit - most are somewhat logical) you can use the "Finder" tab, with "namemap" selected. This one locates GMDCs and textures. Make sure to only extract them - don't edit anything (extract meshes as obj files via "extract", or as GMDC via right-click/extract, and textures via "extract" and save as the format you want).

Thanks a lot for your help so far! Sorry but one last thing, how do i add a texture to a group? If the item I cloned has 1 group but my new mesh has more than one group, how can I add textures for those? Do I just right-click in the resource list and go to add and insert a png?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Aug 2023 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabbluna
Thanks a lot for your help so far! Sorry but one last thing, how do i add a texture to a group? If the item I cloned has 1 group but my new mesh has more than one group, how can I add textures for those? Do I just right-click in the resource list and go to add and insert a png?

You either have to start out by cloning an object that has two groups (the blue vases with red flowers in sculptures is a common one to use), or you have to add a recolorable subset (this can be a bit of a challenge if you're new to creating objects.

IgnorantBliss has a tutorial here: https://modthesims.info/t/103379

If you get any troubles, or something isn't working right after going through it, HL has more of a troubleshooting tutorial here: https://hugelunatic.com/making-objects-recolorable/

You can only have two recolorable subsets, but you can have more that aren't recolorable (make sure those are textures you want all the recolors to have - if not, you'll have to look into remapping the UVs to get them over on two textures).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 12:08 AM
You either have to start out by cloning an object that has two groups (the blue vases with red flowers in sculptures is a common one to use), or you have to add a recolorable subset (this can be a bit of a challenge if you're new to creating objects.

IgnorantBliss has a tutorial here: https://modthesims.info/t/103379

If you get any troubles, or something isn't working right after going through it, HL has more of a troubleshooting tutorial here: https://hugelunatic.com/making-objects-recolorable/

You can only have two recolorable subsets, but you can have more that aren't recolorable (make sure those are textures you want all the recolors to have - if not, you'll have to look into remapping the UVs to get them over on two textures).

I think I understand. So I can't have more than two groups in the GDMC? My other idea was to make a manga box set with the main mesh being the four sides of the box as one texture, then I have 12 individual books as separate meshes. So 13 objects (the box, 12 books) and I wanted the books to have their own textures, is that possible? I'm a little confused on having more subsets that aren't recolorable and need those textures for the recolors? Maybe I should just combine all the groups into one, and remap the uvs into one map? Or I could have 2 textures one for the outside of the box and then a separate one for all the books?

Also do subsets = groups?

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 12:40 AM
You can have several groups/subsets, and several subsets with textures, but only two of those subsets can be recolorable. It's a game limitation.

It's not always very practical with non-recolorable subsets, though. Personally, I rarely do it unless there are parts with simple glass, metal, etc. that need to be part of the object, but I don't mind them being non-recolorable.

If you want the entire object you're making to be recolorable, you'll have to UVmap it so that everything fits either on one or two UVmaps.

You can for instance have one subset for the box, and one for the books. That's very often the way other people do it, because it's practical to have the container item or metal/wood parts, like a box/shelf/table/bed/chair legs, etc. in one subset, and fabric or clutter items (things like books, deco, bedding, pillows, etc.) in another subset, so it's easier to mix-and-match colors ingame.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 11:03 AM
When cloning objects, it's good to keep the CEP documentation handy. Potted Potential is slaved to The Sorrowful Scions. Which already has two subsets.

For sizing, I use the grid's in Milkshape. Grid size is 1. Blender also has them, but not sure if Maya does. For MS and Blender one grid is counter height, and three is wall height. A table is .8 and a coffee table is .5.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Aug 2023 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
When cloning objects, it's good to keep the CEP documentation handy. Potted Potential is slaved to The Sorrowful Scions. Which already has two subsets.

For sizing, I use the grid's in Milkshape. Grid size is 1. Blender also has them, but not sure if Maya does. For MS and Blender one grid is counter height, and three is wall height. A table is .8 and a coffee table is .5.

This is very helpful. Thank you. Maya has the grid so I will also use those.

I ended up cloning the Musee Public Collection Sculpture and having the box as the main subset and the books as the second.