Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2018 at 3:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Install using 4 Disc version
I am re installing Sims 2, get the main game installed and working, then install University, then Night Life and Open for Business. Try to open game with Open for Business and it comes up OK but a message that I have uninstalled University and if I continue my Sims will go to the bin. Or it says I have uninstalled Night Life... if I go to Program Files (x86), EA Games\The Sims 2\ I can see University and Nightlife there and they are the normal size. SimPE shows them installed and in the proper location.. if I delete one of them and reinstall I still get the same message that I have deleted the Expansion Pack..... Why ???

Have the game with no problems on two other computers....only difference is I tried to install Sims 2 Double Deluxe on this computer but finally gave up and think I completely erased any mention of the Double Deluxe.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th May 2018 at 3:58 PM
I'd try and get the Ultimate Collection. Discs are a lot more fiddly.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2018 at 4:15 PM
There's plenty of reasons not to want to do that, Charity! I think it's rude to tell someone to get a new car when they ask what to do about their dodgy starter.

That business with the game thinking University is uninstalled comes up here fairly frequently. I haven't had it, so haven't read the threads when I see them, but while you're waiting for someone to answer, you can scroll back through the forum and see what you find. Good luck.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th May 2018 at 7:23 PM
I found one of the earlier discussions of this issue.

1. Don't use the Launcher (make a shortcut directly to the game's executable instead).

2. Make absolutely sure to patch each EP before installing the next one or the next EP will un-install it. Each one checks to see if the previous EP is up to date, and if the previous EP hasn't been patched, it gets uninstalled. A lot of people seem to think that each EP will automatically patch the one(s) before it. This was true of the original The Sims (TS1), but TS2 does NOT work that way - each EP must be manually patched before you install the next one.

http://modthesims.info/t/550812
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2018 at 2:41 AM
I didn't mean to be rude. It's just that's what I had to do after a lot of PITA stuff with my discs.
Scholar
#6 Old 30th May 2018 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
... if I go to Program Files (x86), EA Games\The Sims 2\ I can see University and Nightlife there and they are the normal size. SimPE shows them installed and in the proper location.. if I delete one of them and reinstall.....

Are you really deleting them instead of uninstalling them?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 31st May 2018 at 2:46 AM
What are your computer specs and Window version?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st May 2018 at 12:57 PM
Taking a chance on being called rude, but I agree with Charity - the new car, is, after all, free
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 3:10 PM
Default Ultimate Collection
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Taking a chance on being called rude, but I agree with Charity - the new car, is, after all, free
OK, suppose I get the Ultimate Collection, do I have to download and use all Parts ??? Specifically, I would prefer not to install PETS...

Any words of wisdom as to where to install it from ???
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 3:14 PM
You have to install everything, afaik. But if you don't buy your sims a pet and get a mod that blocks strays from appearing then you should be animal free.

You install it from Origin. Download Origin and it will be in your game library.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro

Bolding added by me.. I have to chuckle at that because my "stock answer" to "Ewwww, that is an ugly car" (and other remarks like that) is usually "Yeah, but if someone were to give it to you, you'd drive it!". And that is true. A free car? A free neon-snot-green car? Hand it over, I can deal with it, lol.

BUT: I don't feel the same about games. I have the UC and don't plan on installing it unless it's the very last way I can play/create - free or not, I don't really want Uni or Pets installed I (and I DO have the disc versions). And while I don't have to send my sims to college and I don't have to let them have pets and there are mods to stop certain EP related behaviors? The games would still be installed and I simply don't want them installed, nor do I want to have to download a lot of mods to stop certain EP related behaviors. So I'll stick with my discs until they absolutely can't be used anymore.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 4:23 PM Last edited by gazania : 7th Jun 2018 at 2:28 AM.
I feel the same way about the UC. I got it years ago, and it's ready to roll if I need it, but I like being dependent on Origin as little as possible. My problems with Happy Holiday Stuff might be fixed with UC, I know (right now, I have to choose between the 4GB patch and losing a chunk of HH), but for now, I have a tenuous solution.

My Sims 3 and 4 are Origin-dependent, and while I admit they play well enough, my reasons for not adding Sims 2 are different from mustluvcatz, I just don't care for Origin. For now, I like the freedom of playing my game away from its steady gaze, and away from being reliant on the Internet.

When a new OS or machine configuration dictates that I MUST use Origin or never be able to play Sims 2, that is when I use the Origin download. I don't think the suggestions to use UC are rude, and they obviously work great for the ones suggesting it. But I think the OP perhaps wants to try using disks only before taking that step, and for now, I don't think we're at that point of giving up yet. Sounds like something is messing up on the one computer (obviously, the discs aren't "busted") We just need to figure out what it is.

Would some basic machine specs help? Perhaps someone with a similar setup can share some suggestions. Also, EA has been notorious for not being any help, and I'm sure the OP has already done the suggested steps a half-dozen times, but ....

http://modthesims.info/t/222403

You didn't happen to have CEP installed on your computer before you re-installed the game, did you?

I got my games completely out of sequence, by the way, and never had trouble installing them that way, so I don't believe we have to worry about installation order, though it may be a good idea. (Though now I wonder if THAT'S why I'm having the HH/4GB issue.)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 7:13 PM
Default 4 Disc version
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I feel the same way about the UC. I got it back years ago, and it's ready to roll if I need it, but I like being dependent on Origin as little as possible. My problems with Happy Holiday Stuff might be fixed with UC, I know (right now, I have to choose between the 4GB patch and having a chunk of HH), but for now, I have a tenuous solution.

My Sims 3 and 4 are Origin-dependent, and while I admit they play well enough, my reasons for not adding Sims 2 are different from mustluvcatz, I just don't care for Origin. For now, I like the freedom of playing my game away from its steady gaze, and away from being reliant on the Internet.

When a new OS or machine configuration dictates that I MUST use Origin or never be able to play Sims 2, that is when I use the Origin download. I don't think the suggestions to use UC are rude, and they obviously work great for the ones suggesting it. But I think the OP perhaps wants to try using disks only before taking that step, and for now, I don't think we're at that point of giving up yet. Sounds like something is messing up on the one computer (obviously, the discs aren't "busted") We just need to figure out what it is.

Would some basic machine specs help? Perhaps someone with a similar setup can share some suggestions. Also, EA has been notorious for not being any help, and I'm sure the OP has already done the suggested steps a half-dozen times, but ....

http://modthesims.info/t/222403

You didn't happen to have CEP installed on your computer before you re-installed the game, did you?

I got my games completely out of sequence, by the way, and never had trouble installing them that way, so I don't believe we have to worry about installation order, though it may be a good idea. (Though now I wonder if THAT'S why I'm having the HH/4GB issue.)

Yes as a matter of fact I think CEP might have been installed. I was running the game with all packs (have PETS, but not installed) up to the next to last version of T&A and all was well but then had a computer crash and game was messed up. Have been getting things going again but every time I try to install Sims 2, I enter the Language, then the Key and then it comes up and says "Are you sure you want to Quit the Installation ?" No way out of that, if anything was installed at that point it would be deleted. The disc version is a hassel, guess I have 23 or 24 discs and when installed with CC it is about 30 to 50 GBs but game plays well and I love it. Have about 30 main hoods, lots of Downtowns and Shopping Centers, 4 or 5 colleges and not sure how many playable Sims but takes a long time to go thru all of them once. Still have on one PC and a laptop. Would like to put it on my newest computer but it only has a 125GB C drive and a 1 TB D drive and don't know how to keep everything on the D drive. The C drive is a SSD. Prices are coming down so maybe I'll get a 1 TB SSD and then I'll be all set.

Would like to avoid Origin as much as possible.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 8:41 PM
Default 4 Disc version
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Are you really deleting them instead of uninstalling them?
You are right, I think I did just delete them. They don't show up on my Programs and Features in Control Panel but I have been messing with this so long I'm not sure what I've done. Fortunately, I'm still playing on another computer but want to get back to my 27 inch monitor.

Do you know if I have to be dependent in any way on Origin if I didn't download the Ultimate Collection from them ?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 10:15 PM
Just deleting the games is no where near the same thing as uninstalling them - have you checked to make sure any/all references to the EPs you're having trouble with are gone from the Registry? Leftover references in the Registry can cause problems when reinstalling. (AND, just so you know, uninstalling the game/games the proper way can still leave references to them behind. So it's always a good idea to make sure every last reference is gone before reinstalling.)
Alchemist
#16 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 10:30 PM
usually if an installer installs the game/program, use an uninstaller to uninstall them. afterward if there are any parts left of the game/program, delete those parts; probably use computer's search function to find those parts.

manual install; deleting might uninstall then.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 4:07 AM
Do you know if I have to be dependent in any way on Origin if I didn't download the Ultimate Collection from them ?

Actually, you don't have to be dependent on them even if you download the UC. There are ways to bypass Origin so it doesn't start up every time you load the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 6:52 PM
Default 4 Disc Version
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Actually, you don't have to be dependent on them even if you download the UC. There are ways to bypass Origin so it doesn't start up every time you load the game.

OK, went to EA and they gave me a code to redeem Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, told me to go to Origin to get it. Went to Origin and there it is...only problem is apparently I have to play it on line...can't find anyway to download it ?????
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 7:24 PM
OK, went to EA and they gave me a code to redeem Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, told me to go to Origin to get it. Went to Origin and there it is...only problem is apparently I have to play it on line...can't find anyway to download it ?????

You install it through Origin - the app will install it for you. Someone on here knows how to get the game to launch without launching Origin. It's entirely possible to play it offline.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 9:40 PM
I had trouble with University not being installed, but would not install as my computer kept telling me it was. I finally called my tech and asked him what he thought. He suggested that I run a registry cleaner. That worked. Apparently, the uninstall did not adequately clean the registrary but left fragments. I also defraged and did a disk check.