Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 11:20 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to speed up loading screen?
Hi. I've heard that some people have huge amounts of data in their downloads folder but the game loads up really fast though. They said there were some tricks to speed up the process by deleting spaces and some letters in the folder or getting an ssd card. Can anyone tell if it really works?
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 11:54 PM
No one who has "huge" amounts of CC is going to have a game that loads super-fast. Most of the things you can do to speed up loading will shave off a minute or two, maybe.

The only thing that will make a lot of difference is installing the game on an SSD. After that, merging separate CC files into larger files can speed things up, but it also has its downsides that may not make it worth it, depending on what you do in the game. Like, it makes it difficult to share CC or lots or Sims that contain CC. And it makes it difficult to remove CC you have. (You'd have to un-merge the files first, delete the items you no longer want, then re-merge the remaining files...unless you wanted to get rid of everything in the merged file.) Other than that, removing special characters and using fewer subfolders in your Downloads folder will make a small difference, perhaps insignificant, depending on the amount of CC you're talking about.

But in short, aside from getting an SSD and installing the game on it, don't expect miracles. The game is what it is. If your load time is long and you refuse to reduce the amount of CC you use and don't want to change hardware and all that, your best bet is simply to start the game loading long before you intend to play it. Then just let it do its thing while you go about your day, and when you're ready to play, it'll be there for you. Or if that's not possible just, you know, don't sit and watch it load. Go take a shower. Wash the dishes. Walk the dog. Play with the cat. Feed your fish. Read a book. Do a bit of exercise. Make a snack. Anything besides sitting there watching a game load.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 1:10 AM
I think if they have huge amounts of CC and fast loading they have a very good computer. (Define what you mean by huge?) Huge to me is 20 gigs and over but I see some people think 3 gigs is huge. Yeah, that would be about my hair folder.

Make sure you don't sub folder your cc too deeply with very long names that your game can barely read. Too long and it will stop reading it. For example, let's say you download a dress, don't subfolder it like this: Body Shop> This Creator>AF>Final folder with long name+ mesh by+ texture+ shoe swap by. Instead, aim for Clothes AF> Creator (maybe)>Final folder with long name cut down to as short as possible. I'm not one to bother with a creator folder unless I have a ton by them.
To the dress file itself get rid of those ( ) gaps and any other dodads. Short and clear is what to aim for. Not 49596765^%*0git&ed type files either.

The SSD is really good. That took my loading time from about 20 minutes down to about 12. I assume people who load up in 5 either have a lot less content or way better super computers. Moving all my huge default hair textures down to saved Sims seems to have shaved off a minute and getting more RAM (32 now) has speed things up a little as well. I then compressed my cc and I am getting to the hood picker screen with 14 gigs now 10 compressed in about 8-9 minutes. Compressing can help although your mileage may vary as some people found it increased their loading. I still have to load the hood and then CAS and back to the hood before I can load a lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~