Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 6:36 PM Last edited by DJ. : 30th May 2014 at 2:56 PM. Reason: pictures got corrupted
Default TSCS - Awful textures?
Just now did it catch my eye - that textures are horrible in Castaway Stories.

I've been downloading CC such as body hair overlays, custom eyes etc., and they all looked blurry. After I imported the same CC to TS2, the textures looked amazing. Both games have shaders and bumpmapping on, and every setting is set to on/high/max, but regardless, TSCS compresses the textures, resulting in a much lower quality display.

I took two pictures for a comparison, but the crappy bucket decided to delete some random photos from my bucket, so they're gone.

I'm 100 % positive this has nothing to do with my graphics card, since I'm on AMD 7450M (which runs both games amazingly), I launched TSCS at the moment I booted my computer and afterwards I launched TS2 etc. Basically, it's not graphics card overheating resulting in blurred textures.

My system's been acting cool with both games, no extra overheating etc. But, are the blurry textures happening only to me, or is the game coded to display lower quality textures?

(... why the fuck would they make the ocean so pretty in TSCS then!?)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 6:50 PM
I think they did it that way so it would run on laptops better.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 7:45 PM
Yet, they made water textures better than TS2.

The thing that forces low quality textures - is it hardcoded in the game, or just a BHAV? (I've got no idea what both are, so...)
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 10:02 PM
I've noticed this too, and it bothers me so. I would like to know if anything comes of this! Sadly, though, I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to answer your BHAV/hardcoded question.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 12:33 PM
I just added some custom eyes to CS. I was wondering why they looked glazed.
*sighs* Now I know.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 1:26 PM
The same goes with the above body overlay I downloaded. The creator said the textures were amazing and was making a big deal out of it. Turns out, the textures *were* actually amazing, but only if they were rendered properly.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 5:35 AM
Probably not worth downloading CC for Castaway Stories. I first noticed the texture issues when I looked at the grass. Yuck, look at it, it looks like a swamp of murky vomit more than it does lively blades of grass.