Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Need advice regarding CC and packaged lots
I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong area. I have tried searching for some answers, but perhaps I am not using good search criteria.

I have recently been trying to organize my CC. I have found a pattern that was originally installed to my game when I downloaded a lot here from MTS2 (I had a screenshot of the details from the TSR merlin program). I keep track of this because I intended to give this creator credit, if I ever used the pattern in one of my creations. Now, however, I do not believe that the lot uploader was the original creator of this content, as there is no mention of it in the upload details, and I have also downloaded an identical pattern from a 3rd party site that does not allow for distribution of their content. Is that possible?

The point of this post is not to point fingers at any of the great creators here. I am just trying to understand and have a few questions clarified for myself, because I like building lots. I would like to share some lots decorated with some of the nice CC I have found, but I am terrified that I will accidentally upload someone's CC who does not want their items shared.

1. Do .sims3pack pattern files get packaged with lots? Is this what could have happened in the above example?

2. Do object .sims3pack get packaged with lots, or is there a safeguard if I use objects on lots, so that the person would have to install that .sims3pack themselves to see it in game?

3. If I convert 3rd party CC .sims3pack to .package files would I avoid having patterns and objects packaged with lots?

4. If I do convert .sim3pack to .package and rename for CC objects, would that cause problems for someone who downloads my lot and downloads the original creators CC in .sims3pack format?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:13 PM
1. Yes, and yes.

2. Yes, "safeguard" is to do as your point (3).

3. Correct, CAS parts too, like clothes, etc, I should think. And as long as the .Sims3Pack is not installed or already uninstalled via Launcher.

4. No, I don't think so...If they don't download the CC you used in your uploaded lot themselves, it just won't appear in the lot they installed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:21 PM
Thank you for your quick and precise response. In regards to Question 4- So I can rename my CC anything and that will have no adverse effect if someone else has a different name for it in their game?

PS-I like your Fringe wink.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 7:35 PM
qn 4: no effect on others who download your lot, only for yourself - if ever the creator of that CC updates their version for a future patch or EP, you'd need to know which renamed CC it is supposed to replace.

ps: thx a fellow Fringe fan, I presume?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 8:52 PM Last edited by yadarya : 3rd Dec 2009 at 5:36 PM.
Good to know. It will help my renaming process. Thanks again.

P.S. Yeah, one of the best shows out right now, in my opinion

Additional question sort of in relation to this...

Is there a way to avoid inadvertently installing 3rd party CC when we download lots then?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 5:11 PM
Quote:
Is there a way to avoid inadvertently installing 3rd party CC when we download lots then?
If the creator of that Lot used 3rd party CC which is in .sims3pack format in their game? No way to avoid, I guess, if you install the Lot via Launcher.

Unless you use a tool to extract .sims3pack - Delphy has one (MultiPacksomething), the other is JFade's 3Viewer. Remove that CC .package and repack the other(s) into a .sims3pack (is there such a tool out yet?) to be installed via Launcher.
Or...dump that Lot's .package into the Library or Export folder (I can't be sure which will place the Lot into the Lots' Bin in-game, can't remember ATM. Most likely Library, though.)

I have tested this method early on, when the game was first released, but didn't test extensively, to see if there were any undesirable long-term side-effects of such an install. So, backup any N'hoods or Saves or Sims you don't want to lose first.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 5:52 PM
The lot bin is the Library folder. Exports is for lots you export from the game (i.e. package them in-game).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.