Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#401 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:23 AM
OK - thanks for that. Onward to the next one.

However, I was slightly concerned by this comment: "However not enough showing the actual build elements making it harder to judge certain aspects." about mine. I understood this was a lot building contest, not a building-building contest. There were plenty of pictures from me of the whole build so I'm a bit puzzled by that. Maybe you wanted to see more of where I CFC'd the pontoon leading out to the gazebo to be 2-clicks over water level more clearly (bit tricky)? Or where I used OMPSs (so many OMSPs) to arrange the elements of the landscape precisely (getting that waterfall to look like a waterfall in there was a real struggle FYI)?

Maybe I've misunderstood the aim of the contest. What I'm interested in (am always interested in as a matter of fact) is creating places - convincing places you might visit. Getting the genius loci is always my aim in building lots. The 'build' elements pertaining to buildings need to be what they are - I'm not particularly interested in building techniques for their own sake. I can use fancy techniques to make fancy buildings but that's not usually what I'm interested in doing. If this competition is wholly or partly about that, I'll be honest, I'm not particularly interested in continuing under those circumstances.

The other comments I accept happily enough (I was ill and the lot isn't finished and there are mistakes and omissions (more than was commented on really which I'm happy about) - didn't get to build my coral reef (and wanted to)) but I'd appreciate a little clarity on what's expected with the 'build elements' if possible.

Edit to add: Oh, just wanted to say, as a final comment, that I loved everyone's builds here. Some really nice lots. I enjoyed looking at your pictures and am looking forward to what y'all come up with for the second round.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#402 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:54 PM
Before everyone gets into too much of a tizzy I am going to go through and make sure everyone is on the same page where screenshot requirements are. I suspect some of this is due to me needing to clarify what is required on both screenshots and on what areas need what as far as judging. I think I need to reword some things for clarification. I also am going to go through and re-add the scores to make sure I made no errors.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#403 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:58 PM
@maxon I loved your entry, it looked so natural and inviting and I'm not a fan of beaches IRL!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
#404 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 1:04 PM
@gdayars If it's not too much of a pain, could we also find out what the comments from the other judge were?

AKA. Anora Acadian
Forum Resident
#405 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 1:45 PM
I also wanna know but I think they lost the file D:

ok kanzen, this time you HAVE to make sure everything is 2 tiles apart! 2 tiles apart! 2 tiles apart! =)))
out of all my 100+ playtests, I did get foot stomping at the 2nd floor cafe seating area. Apparently, the host just straight up presented the table to the customer in front of the spiral staircase. The customer, with no where to move, waved his arms frantically as he blocked the only way down. The host is stuck. I only had one host. Sims are lining up to be seated. CHAOS. Everyone is hungry. Bad reviews.

Honestly. THESE SIMS. I never meant for the cafe seating to be included as restaurant seating. I made it so far away with enough tables in the restaurant area for sims to be seated BUTT NOOOO we gotta hike around the lot to use seating that wasn't even meant for the restaurant! heckkkk they could've used the pier-view seatings down stairs BUTT NO.

*exhales* I probably should have just kept it as a market. Sims are simple creatures. They can't understand multi-purpose buildings hahahahahaha
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#406 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:06 PM
I have had that happen too @kanzen and I did ask for the other judge's comments. Evidently she didn't have them any more.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#407 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:19 PM
I know I am double posting :D
but @kerri191 I forgot to tag you.

and I am going to try and come up with a clearer guideline on screen shots. I also am going to go through and re-add the scores together, as I may have not added correctly last night, so double-checking my work. So you might want to recheck your scores again later, after I proofread my stuff lol.

if you need clarification from the judges for something, just feel free to ask. I don't really know. I just recorded the scores. If you guys have a question on screenshots, and need clarification on something also please ask that as well as it will help me know where the areas are that aren't clear in the description
Forum Resident
#408 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:27 PM
I know I'm gonna built tomorrow at the sims LAN party xD
anyway, I finally also got my game fixed!
I properly should have said my game was very glitchy and stuff but I did mention that my testrun was short because of how laggy my game was. it takes a while to load the lots now but at least all the animations is back and it doesn't glitch when building. Believe me, I had a lot of that. What looked on the ground would sometimes appear in the air. It was crazy!

I build small houses *^*
Link Ninja
#409 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:28 PM
Hey thanks for score judges! Thanks for arranging the scores gdayars! A couple of questions because contests are about improving from round to round:

1- is there a way we can see score breakdowns per judge? I got an 84 out of 90 and so would like to see where I missed points in scoring so I can focus on trying to hit that Mark in round 2. I can sorta ascertain where judge 2 wants me to improve but I'm guessing. I have no idea if the judge who lost comments gave me 5s in all categories or left some off for areas they think needed improvement. I know it's more work for you gdayars, but can it be considered?

2-Judge 2 either @joandsarah77 @Red Sonja or @Gummilutt - you mentioned my screen shots do not quite meet guidelines and I would like to know why or in which area of the guidelines I didn't make the mark. This will be helpful to know so I don't repeat it in round 2 because I looked through them again and can't find an obvious guideline I missed. If you could let gdayars know and she could pm me to keep your judging anonymity, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

By the by I LOVED the other lots from contestants, the Mexican style restaurant, the beach food shack, the food carts, and the indoor plant restaurant come to mind as I type that really stood out or made me sigh with appreciation as I scrolled through the thread. Good luck in round 2 errybody.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#410 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:52 PM
So guys I do need a favor from the general board. IF you see something that a fellow contestant has missed, please try to mention it I say this because our lovely food cart lot got points deducted because they don't have a podium! A podium is necessary for a restaurant. I could also have made one invisible for them if that would have helped.

btw feel free if you need something made invisible, repriced or whatever, and don't know how, to ask me. I won't make a complicated item, but a simple recolor/price change I don't mind. This goes for all contestants. just pm me

I offer it to everyone, fair is fair.

I will probably go ahead and try and update scores later, as I still have play alongs to do. I will break down areas for you I am going to change the rules on floor plans but I don't think you guys will mind, and it will help judges they can't judge what they can't see! Also if you have something like an invisible podium, please mention it Or if you have tested an area that looks iffy in a screen shot, and it worked please mention that as well. A shot showing it, would work wonders
Mad Poster
#411 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
OK - thanks for that. Onward to the next one.

However, I was slightly concerned by this comment: "However not enough showing the actual build elements making it harder to judge certain aspects." about mine. I understood this was a lot building contest, not a building-building contest. There were plenty of pictures from me of the whole build so I'm a bit puzzled by that.

A build is not just the building, or the build elements. Landscaping and outside areas are also part of your build. If your lot is an outside lot with little to no actual building, then your landscaping is the build and to judge it we have to be able to see it, all parts of it. For example, most of your plants are in the front, but the only shots where it's visible are the front view picture, and the floor-plan. Additionally, you have some shots in there that mainly show the surroundings and not much of your lot, which although pretty I can't judge you on ("You can stay all night if you like and watch the sun rise"-shot, "So romantic as night falls" which really was already covered in terms of build in the previous picture). Also three shots showing the waterfall, but no closer-up shot of the hut and bar.

Nothing wrong with in-play pictures, they can certainly sell the lot, but make sure you show us all parts of your lot first, and then add in scenic pretty pictures if you have shots to spare If you can combine then two then great, but in your case particularly I felt going for play-shots meant you ended up with too many shots of the same areas with other areas not being included at all.

Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
you mentioned my screen shots do not quite meet guidelines and I would like to know why or in which area of the guidelines I didn't make the mark. This will be helpful to know so I don't repeat it in round 2 because I looked through them again and can't find an obvious guideline I missed. If you could let gdayars know and she could pm me to keep your judging anonymity, I'd really appreciate it.

I apologize, going back to guidelines to find you the right passage I now remember they removed the requirement for a back view picture. Your back view picture is centered on the river, which cuts off the main building. A back view picture should show the entire back, with no part cut off. If you can't fit the entire back in one frame, or have to zoom back a lot to do so, you can do it in two sections, or at an angle. Additionally the front-fence is obscuring some of your decorating, though not entirely sure if that qualifies as "obscuring view" as per the guidelines, so either way saying it does not meet guidelines is misleading, so my bad. But anyway, the screenshot feedback is about the back picture, and that the pool-bamboo-thing on the right is not really properly visible in any shot except floor-plan

Feeling thoroughly not good today, so may be slow to respond to things, but if there are questions I will do my best to clear them up as soon as I am able to.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Link Ninja
#412 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 4:45 PM
Thank you for clarifying Gumi, it was helpful!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Space Pony
#413 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 5:24 PM
Default R1 - Playalong- Tropics- Tavern Dimitri
For certain reasons I could not post these earlyer. I did ask can I post late , and as it is playalong and allready did the house I wantet to post it

Lot is playtested, but all the pics are from build mode.

So, welcome to small restaurant, located in an island at Simiterrannean Sea.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#414 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 5:36 PM
Mad Poster
#415 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 5:44 PM
Instructor
#416 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 5:54 PM
Thanks for your feedback, judges! Next round onwards, I will try to improve my screenshots and my landscaping skills, especially since I'm planning on doing a desert build. Also, I will go ahead and remove the water mod. I would love to have it but it just doesn't work.
Congratulations everyone, I enjoyed seeing every single entry. Good luck on this entertainment lot.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#417 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 6:29 PM
You don't happen to have that sky overhaul mod as well as the pond water mod in at the same time right? because there is a version of the sky mod that includes the pond one as well, so they could be conflicting. I noticed that the other day.
Mad Poster
#418 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 6:50 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Feb 2018 at 7:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
I also wanna know but I think they lost the file D:

ok kanzen, this time you HAVE to make sure everything is 2 tiles apart! 2 tiles apart! 2 tiles apart! =)))
out of all my 100+ playtests, I did get foot stomping at the 2nd floor cafe seating area. Apparently, the host just straight up presented the table to the customer in front of the spiral staircase. The customer, with no where to move, waved his arms frantically as he blocked the only way down. The host is stuck. I only had one host. Sims are lining up to be seated. CHAOS. Everyone is hungry. Bad reviews.

Honestly. THESE SIMS. I never meant for the cafe seating to be included as restaurant seating. I made it so far away with enough tables in the restaurant area for sims to be seated BUTT NOOOO we gotta hike around the lot to use seating that wasn't even meant for the restaurant! heckkkk they could've used the pier-view seatings down stairs BUTT NO.

*exhales* I probably should have just kept it as a market. Sims are simple creatures. They can't understand multi-purpose buildings hahahahahaha

I get nonsense like this with Freezy the housekeeper when I build motels with a TV in front of the bed. A room may have ONE tiny one-tile area in front. One tiny one. Everyone else is fine with it. Sometimes, even Freezy is fine with it .... the first day or two or three. On Day whatever, Freezy freezes. There goes the vacation experience.

I get around that by using decorative TVs. It's a vacation, you Sims. Get away from the TV and go sightseeing somewhere, or watch TV in the main lodge. You can watch TV at home. Plus, I get about 30% less aggravation with Freezy. Win-win. (Also, Freezy needs lots of room. No one-tile access areas. Anywhere. Freezy gravitates to them. Freezy WILL find them.)

There are decorative computers. (That is the manager's office, you Stupid Sim. It is not your private place to play Sims 3!). I accidentally downloaded a decorative table once, and had no idea why Sims wouldn't sit at it! (I think it was on the old BPS site. Can't remember the creator ... sorry.) So I do know there are some out there ... probably not many, though. You can probably fashion a makeshift chair (I have used crates in a different context) or tables if need be. Just let judges or downloader know that so THEY don't do stompies when trying to figure routing or playing the lot!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#419 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 7:02 PM
Several hours of fiddling later....

"I didn't know CFE could allow me to do that!"
"I should build on sloped lots more often..."
"Hmmm... That room looks cool."
"Now what??"

And that's why I hate the start of building a lot.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Mad Poster
#420 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 7:14 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Feb 2018 at 7:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kerri191
Several hours of fiddling later....

"I didn't know CFE could allow me to do that!"
"I should build on sloped lots more often..."
"Hmmm... That room looks cool."
"Now what??"

And that's why I hate the start of building a lot.

On that vein, and echoing a thread on the main boards: You know when you've been playing Sims too long when you're in front of the game looking for that ONE SW US PLANT that you feel might enhance your pitiful (in my case) plant-plopping and exclaim out loud, "YUCCA!" ... and no one in your family thinks anything of your outburst.

Now off to find some CC yucca. I thought I saw some while Googling that was NOT Sims 3 or 4 ... or Second Life (grr ...) That is one thing about these building contests . Just too many shinies!

EDIT ... Think I found some. And primroses. And baby's breath. No, the last two aren't desert plants!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#421 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:10 PM
Thanks. judges and gdayars, I know what a pita judging/hosting is

Good job everyone!

As a veteran hostess/judge, I'd like to remind contestants that just because a judge may give a "negative" comment doesn't mean that you did horrible. But it's good, as a judge, to say, "Here's something you can work on". If the scores were letter grades, the lowest one is still a B+ ( 87% )
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#422 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:56 PM
ok I have gone back and given everyone a mini table of their breakdown by judge and areas being judged. The judges do NOT go in any order. Sometimes one judge goes before another, then next time will be last

I am sure the discerning among you will figure out who is who however :P

@broomhilda61 I will try to help you later. Do you by any chance know if your graphics card is a nvidia, an amd, or an intel? because sometimes there are programs that come with graphics cards that will take pictures as well. Obviously there is a reason fraps doesn't work for you. What I have to do, is take and bring it up, leave it up (don't minimize it) and click on it so it is highlighted, THEN bring up the sims 2 game so it is still active in the background. Otherwise it won't take pictures for me I can try to help you with the windowed mode shortcut if that doesn't work.
Mad Poster
#423 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:07 PM
Thank you Judges - yours is NOT an easy job, and I appreciate all that you do! (Esp writing out comments!)

@gdayars - I would like to see the score break-down too. (Not just the overall number - but where exactly did I loose those points?) Nevermind... ninja'd! Thanks

For everyone: It's the nature of "contesting" to get subjective (and often completely opposite) comments from the judges. For example - one judge told me "...the decks and the choice of furniture are really captivating." While the other said, "...Not too sure about the electronic equipment and furniture choice out on the back desk, it rains a lot in the mountains." My take on it is - the furniture obviously looks plastic (probably from those now-extinct "Naugas " that were so plentiful in the 70's Naugahyde , ya know?) so rain won't matter, and as a gigging musician I know when it rains you always take the equipment inside. So rain isn't an issue at all here. But, one judge liked it, the other didn't.
So be it. Be happy

One judge asked: "Can sims use the upstairs sitting area near the bar?" Yes, yes they can. But...
Another judge said: "...poker tables are not usable at an angle..." I didn't know that - I will have to test that out to be sure, 'cuz I thought they could.

I also got a comment about narrow passages - but, I had no stompies when I play-tested. So, meh, ya live and ya learn. Next time (for this contest anyway) I'll be sure not to have any narrow passages Got it!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Lab Assistant
#424 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:22 PM
Thanks for the breakdown of the scores! @gdayars And a big thank you to all the judges.

And drinks all around for the amazing entries for the first round of the contest. I particularly enjoyed seeing what everyone came up with, and I definitely can't wait to see what's going to follow!

AKA. Anora Acadian
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#425 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:26 PM
I will tackle the play alongs later as I think I will be getting off soon due to bad weather :/ so don't give up on me people!

Page 17 of 59