Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:15 AM
First hair mesh!!! YA TA!!!
Yessss!!!! I did it!!! we are in he right way.. the only problem is the remplacement from one of the store hairs and thats why i thing i should wait to could do it as a new one. I retextured other one.. change alphas and colour places is not so dif, so we are going to have more natural colours than ever!
so this topic is ot talk about how we should do it. I really think that if we could modif and create new sim3packs it would be better than create simple packages. we would can be able to use the sims3 instalers and uninstal what we want... is the best way to dont have hundreds of no used meshes like in sims2.

I don't feel really confortable writing this kind of topics because english is not my lenguage but im so impacient to make and use new stuff! hehe

pic of themesh
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:19 AM
Sims3packs are not preferrable, IMO. They all get installed in one big uber-file and when you uninstall them, you don't get the space back - it just makes a hole in the uber-file.

How does that animate, and what did you do it with? I know Wes's plugin for Milkshape doesn't support everything you need to do it right.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:47 AM
Hooray, hairmesh! Did I read/understand correctly, that you changed the color places on the hairs? I kinda hate how the roots and tips are such a straight line...

Also, @HystericalParoxysm, not to hijack thread, but is that the only reason for not using Sims3Pack? I ask because the .package files don't show up in my game as CC, only .Sims3Pack and .sim files do, so it's a lot harder to keep track... :\
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Sims3packs are not preferrable, IMO?? . They all get installed in one big uber-file and when you uninstall them, you don't get the space back - it just makes a hole in the uber-file.

How does that animate, and what did you do it with? I know Wes's plugin for Milkshape doesn't support everything you need to do it right.

I didn't know that! i through that shuld be like the downloads folder in sims2
and about wes's pluging.. yes,u just have to change a pair of Geom files, just the same size and the same name ones. After this one i tried to do it with the "curly" one and this kind of mesh with more faces is more complicated and use to lost information when u import it to milkshape. I think this one (afhairkhalil) should be like the longhair mesh from sims2 with 2 faces and the head and is the best to start experimenting. I decided to use a store mesh because i through it would be easy than look for skeletor in other places, pngs, etc...
The only problem that i see to the animation is when the sim is really fat, the body could just "eat" the mesh... thats the principal pluging problem but the mesh looks just great in the game thats the important thing
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:53 AM
Ah, okay, Wes's Milkshape plugin doesn't properly support everything you need for hair yet. While you can edit stuff somewhat, it doesn't really work fully properly yet - Milkshape will need an update to it before it can handle all that correctly. There's also morphs that have to be edited per hair too for the fat/skinny versions.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iamzack
Hooray, hairmesh! Did I read/understand correctly, that you changed the color places on the hairs? I kinda hate how the roots and tips are such a straight line...

Also, @HystericalParoxysm, not to hijack thread, but is that the only reason for not using Sims3Pack? I ask because the .package files don't show up in my game as CC, only .Sims3Pack and .sim files do, so it's a lot harder to keep track... :\

Yes, to change the colour places u just have to download a photoshop's DDS plugging for and edit the RGB colours

CC in the game was the reason why i started to think in .sims3packs us the real way to make cc. mods/packages way is a great way to start doing it but i think it could be the best way to dont have to hack the game.
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 2:50 AM
Sounds like we need a 3DS max plugin..

>.>
<.<
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 2:51 AM
There's an unreleased Maya plugin in the works, because Wes is made of win and pancakes. I got a default replacement quick edit (similar to what javilo showed) going earlier. Just a matter of beating Maya into submission to do cooler stuff and to work out the kinks.

Alchemist
#9 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:01 AM
Oooh... beating. That sounds exciting.

The maya plugin is an open secret. I solicited for testers on the download page for my Sims 3 tools. Maya is hard to get started with, hard to program (and d***ed expensive). I am trying to get something that is stable enough for a public trial as soon as possible.

<* Wes *>
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VICIOUS713
Sounds like we need a 3DS max plugin..

>.>
<.<

Would be nice, but I'd rather see a plugin for a program that doesn't cost several thousand dollars to have a legit copy of (3DS, Maya) AND doesn't have a horribly clunky UI (Milkshape). :< The Milkshape plugins for TS2 were amazing and I used them with little trouble, but Milkshape is just so awkward to work with. Here's hoping someone can port the code over to Blender. >>
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:37 AM
i was reading yestarday that a maya plugin won't gonna be posible for a long time (somewhere in the 2hundred pages i visited. xdd) and i said why hell not?? but i'm so happy to read about the pluggin right now. i hate milkshape!!
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 1:37 PM Last edited by Vinther : 17th Jun 2009 at 2:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by wesHowe
The maya plugin is an open secret. I solicited for testers on the download page for my Sims 3 tools. Maya is hard to get started with, hard to program (and d***ed expensive). I am trying to get something that is stable enough for a public trial as soon as possible.

Have you had a look at the Softimage Mod Tool? It's a free version of their 3d modeling software, made especially for modders. It seems advanced enough, and it has plugins for a variety of games, so it should be possible to make one for the Sims 3 too.
http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/

Personally, I like Blender, but I had a look at writing some plugins for it a while back and I got the feeling it wouldn't be able to handle all the information that goes into a model for the Sims 3.

I think it would be really great though, and most beneficial for the community, if we had tools and plugins that were free, to make it as easy as possible to get started.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:50 PM
Awesome! Love the hair! When can we download it?
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:13 AM
I can't wait for you guys to make plugins for Milkshape or whichever program will do the job. The currenlty available Sims3 hairstyles SUCK big time!

I'll test the Milkshape plugins Wes. I also have Blender but I haven't used that much. ~~heading over to Wes's site...~
Test Subject
#15 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 2:25 AM
Well Blender, Max, and Maya would be the smartest bits for Plugins, i don't know a single person who uses Milkshape anymore.. Maybe even lightwave.. The Unreal forums are full of Max users and a hint of Maya.. Deviant art seems to prefer max and lightwave, and all the colleges here in my town are teaching Max.
retired moderator
#16 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 2:33 AM
I have to strongly disagree, Vicious. For TS2, the plugins we had were for Milkshape and because of its low price and ease of use for beginners, it was a perfect choice for plugins. Many of the best modders in the community are young people who simply can't afford the high-end professional programs - I would much rather have something fully functional for Milkshape than for Maya in the end. After all - you always can make your main mesh in whatever you want and then just finish up the skin weights/bone assignments/rigging/whatever you want to call it in Milkshape.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 2:45 AM
Tis a shame that The Sims 3 seems to have no hair physics whatsoever. Even The Sims 2 had a wobble effect.
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#18 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:06 AM
Wes_h = WIN

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Alchemist
#19 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:29 AM
I gave up on Blender a long time ago... the odd user-interface, though, was not the reason, but rather the programming interface is either python or the highway. I chose the highway. Other of the free 3D programs have either no program interface, or they lack some key feature the game uses.

Even MilkShape is behind. I need an extra longword per-vertex to fully support the hair meshes in TS3. Mete promised me he would include that in the next update, and I have a test version that works, but so far, the update hasn't been released. And I appear to be the only person that has asked for this.

Specs for the GEOM layout are posted on the wiki. Echo used them to build the previewer in Postal, so at least someone other than me understands it. If someone wants to undertake a plugin or format converter for some other program, I would be happy to help them understand the layout.

As far as 3DS goes, I don't own that program, it would be impossible for me to write something I can't even test. I own a license to Maya, that set me far enough back, as I am not a student, and I don't make any money from this stuff.

I am still looking for some well-qualified Maya testers, by the way. I don't think the plugin I have is far from a releaseable state, but this will be my first complete Maya project... whereas I can almost write MilkShape plugins in my head. I've done a few of those.

<* Wes *>
Instructor
#20 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 8:46 AM
I know this started over hair but still:
Quote: Originally posted by VICIOUS713
Blender, Max, and Maya would be the smartest bits for Plugins, i don't know a single person who uses Milkshape anymore.

I use milkshape, for most of the reasons that Hp cited (not so young but still unable to afford 3DS or Maya and blender is just double dutched to me). Sure, its clunky ,basic and tedious at times but it gets the job done if you're willing to put in the effort. Wes' plug ins for TS2 were a godsend and I'm hoping that being able to make quality stuff for TS3 will be an option available to the masses, not just the folk with the high end programs. Yes, Wes is full of win.
Instructor
#21 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 8:55 AM
I use Milkshape and (not so much for body meshes but for objects) Wings 3D. I'd be pretty much devastated if those programs were abandoned in favor of high-end and/or expensive ones (tried Blender once, couldn't make heads or tails of it.) :p
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:10 PM
wow that is awesome also I wanted to ask is there any way to use the male long hair for the females
Alchemist
#23 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmberDiceless
I'd be pretty much devastated if those programs were abandoned in favor of high-end and/or expensive ones

Amber, the MilkShape GEOM (Sim bodies, etc.) plugins for TS3 are already available. The maya plugins are in a non-public testing phase. The BoneTools and some plugins developed for TS2 continue to operate also, and do not need rewritten for TS3.

TS2 meshes though, are not TS3 meshes. Some people are working on some conversions, but the skeleton is different and requires the meshes be rerigged. And the TS3 sims have significantly more polygons, so matching them at the neck, waist and calf will require some work (Oh, did I mention the feet are separate now)? And placing a body with 1800 polys next to one with triple that will probably show it as visibly less detailed.

But your basic skill set is still very usable, although we haven't gotten much past tweaking replacement meshes.

<* Wes *>
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 10:38 PM
Wow, that hairmesh looks awesome! I can't wait to download it!

...y tu inglés se entiende perfectamente, no te preocupes
retired moderator
#25 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 10:40 PM
Tee hee...

http://www.modyourpanties.com/image...171741-WOOT.jpg
http://www.modyourpanties.com/image...2445-ingame.jpg

Page 1 of 5