Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: So what do YOU use to model?
Wings 3D
9 15.00%
Blender
4 6.67%
Milkshape 3D
18 30.00%
3DSMax
7 11.67%
GMAX
5 8.33%
Maya
4 6.67%
Maya PLE
0 0%
Other
13 21.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:20 PM
Default So what program do YOU use to model and mesh?
This thread poofed to heaven with no trace, so I resurrect it. I use Wings 3D.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:43 PM
Default modeling program
I use MilkShape to do my modeling. I Love it.

lordgaret's mom
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:39 PM
As with lordgaret2000 I use MilkShape 3D. Can't afford the likes of studiomax or maya. GMax would be good if Maxis would do some games plugins as for simscity, used that alot for Microsoft flight Simulator. MilkShape is very versatile and cheap as 3D softweare goes.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:58 PM
you forgot SoftImage XSI in your softwares list.
Scholar
#5 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:01 PM
I use MilkShape - I have since Sims1

I mainly do hair and body meshes.

The problem I find with other 3d programs is that either they are WAY too expensive, or else do not have the ability to edit vertex assignments (needed for doing any serious body/hair meshwork)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:06 PM
MilkShape!! Woot! Woot!
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:08 PM
I use 3D S Max, Bryce 5.5, MilkShape, and uh, I tried GMax and Maya PLE, but the last two I couldn't get the hang of. Plus, they're limited.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:48 PM
I'm a Blender girl
but I think that's obvious
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:15 PM
Anim8or, its good but has some problems
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:35 PM
I use milkshape. It's the easiest to use and model things...That I've come across thus far
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 7:38 AM
I would urge anyone using Milkshape to try Blender instead.

Milkshape is a very bad program for modeling.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 8:56 AM
Wouldn't this thread have been better in the object creation and texturing forum?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by caz100
Anim8or, its good but has some problems

What probs are you having?

It takes just one tree to make a thousand matches, it takes just one match to burn a thousand trees...
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Wouldn't this thread have been better in the object creation and texturing forum?

The old thread was in this forum.
Scholar
#15 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:53 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 7th Aug 2005 at 2:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by fleabay
I would urge anyone using Milkshape to try Blender instead.

Milkshape is a very bad program for modeling.

I did try Blender - two big problems, though.

First off, it is overwhelmingly complicated. It is designed like the high-end 3d programs (3dmax, etc) with so many rendering, lighting, and animation features that I will never use. It seemed like I was trying to learn to use MSword in order to edit a two line plain text file...

And more important, there is no way to get a mesh with bones in/out, so it is useless for my body and hair meshing projects which is my main interest.

Milkshape is designed strictly for editing game meshes, with bones and vertex assignments, and none of the excess features I don't need - and just as important, I am able to understand how to use it.

Some people love Blender, and that's cool - each to their own, everybody has different capabilities and working methods.

For me, MilkShape "fits"
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 3:37 PM
I love M<ilkshape 3D too, it feels right, but the price ruins it. That's why I use Wings 3D.

I didn't understand it 'till I saw the tut on Artistic Habitats. That tutorial taught me Wings 3D meshing in less than 2 minutes.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 6:58 PM
I use Cinema 4D (you have forgotten this ) for modeling. But there are some problems with the obj export. So I use also Anim8or for im-/export (but still there are some problems with normals).

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 2:53 AM
I use blender, but I can't figure out if it is possible to make hair meshes using it- as it was my main interest. Is there any hairmeshing programs besides Milkshape? ._.;
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 1:37 PM
Wings 3D does support hair meshes.
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teko
I use Cinema 4D (you have forgotten this ) for modeling. But there are some problems with the obj export. So I use also Anim8or for im-/export (but still there are some problems with normals).

I had that problem to, used the same method, export via anim8or, however i've found a way round it, however this will only be useful if you use bodypaint for uvmapping. I found a plugin that is an exporter/importer of .obj and it exports uv areas, normals, everything. It's called Riptide, works every time, just import the .obj exported from SimPE using the plugin, then place your mesh over maxis, and export, and voila!

Get it here

Hope this helps
Instructor
#21 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 2:05 PM Last edited by Anshin Lanugo : 11th Aug 2005 at 2:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
I love M<ilkshape 3D too, it feels right, but the price ruins it. That's why I use Wings 3D.

I didn't understand it 'till I saw the tut on Artistic Habitats. That tutorial taught me Wings 3D meshing in less than 2 minutes.

Is Wings 3D free?

Also, could you provide a link to the Wings 3D tutorial you mentioned above?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 2:05 PM
I love my Maya 6 Unlimited. It is easy to use for modelling, yet not as limited as milkshape
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anshin Lanugo
Is Wings 3D free?

Also, could you provide a link to the Wings 3D tutorial you mentioned above?

Oh sorry, It's an exe file that you install. I installed it so I deleted the bookmark.

Yup it's free, get it at http://www.wings3d.com/
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 4:37 AM
Okay thanks. I think I'm going to try Wings 3D. ^^
Test Subject
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2005 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
I'm a Blender girl
but I think that's obvious

I have just downloaded blender.. but i dont really know how to import the hairs in it.. :confused: Can you help me?

My email is [email protected]
Page 1 of 2