Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 8:10 PM Last edited by AbstractSIMmer187 : 6th Jan 2007 at 9:01 PM.
TOY CRANE - Animations just not working for me! Update
Hi

OKay so i'll make ths short and sweet.

I tried to do all the animating and adding pie menu stuff all by myself this time, like i usually do.

The pie menu shows up perfect in-game, when i tell my sim to go "play" all the sim does is just walk up to the object and thats it, i think i linked all the animations properly but maybe i'm doing something.

Echo i tried to send you a e-mail but my e-mail just wasn't working for me.

Could someone see whats not causing my animation sequence not to work, thanks.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  FULLY FUNCTIONAL - Toy Crane Machine.rar (85.1 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 8:54 PM
You can look at my Value Vending machine and see how I did things like Budget Transaction and pie menu stuff and other. Just please don't copy anything specific.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 9:11 PM
No dude i would never copy you, i never copy anyone or anything, i just need someone to see into my package to see whats causing my game to freeze.

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 9:37 PM
An object that locks up the entire game when placed in the world usually has a buggy Init or Main BHAV that continuously errors. You will have to diagnose this problem by turning on debug mode to see what the error is. I also notice earlier you arbitrarily deleted a bunch of lines from aforementioned BHAVs.

So PUT THEM BACK.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:22 PM
Not to sound mean, but you should try reading tutorials and stuff to figure this out yourself. You won't learn if you keep asking people to do it for you.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Instructor
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:23 PM
Ok I looked at it. Here's what I found
-You had 2 Global Data resources, one was PaintingGlobals and the other was ArcadeGlobals, I deleted the PaintingGlobals.
-I had to make a change to the Init BHAV since without the PaintingGlobals it was pointing to a non existant semi-global.
-When I went to take a look at the TTAB, SimPE freaked out apparently because of it's format being set to 0x00000054 which I assume was is a Pets format. So I just deleted the TTAB and TTA and reimported new ones.
-Then I tried it out in game and was able to buy it from the catalog and place it on the lot, but when I had a sim try to use it I got an "Invalid routing slot error", so I went back and changed the routing method from "Go To Routing Slot (0x0003)" to "Route - Route to Reach ()".
-That solved the routing problem except that the sim now proceeded to go around the back of the machine and then I got a "3D object is not animatable" error.

I think that if you clone one of the arcade games to use as a base for your object you will have a lot more success since it already has most of the functionality you require.

Tired of getting ripped off by paysites?
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AbstractSIMmer187
No dude i would never copy you, i never copy anyone or anything, i just need someone to see into my package to see whats causing my game to freeze.

I don't think you grasp that programmers WANT you to copy them, because it saves on answering silly repetitive questions over and over.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
I don't think you grasp that programmers WANT you to copy them, because it saves on answering silly repetitive questions over and over.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Instead of all the threads, here! Take my work! Take it! Copy it! Enjoy!

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Instructor
#9 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 12:07 AM
True. It is easier to write a BHAV than it is to write a description on how to write a BHAV.

Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 7:47 AM
Well paco i'm still new to bhaving and yes i does seem like i'm going ahead of myself but i am learning along the way, paco i have looked at your Vending machine so many times before i actually opened threads here and Pescado i'm only trying to find help i wouldn't call these questions silly , if i need help i ask questions btw thanks Smonaff for all your help i never thought a object would have so many problems i will clone the arcade. Umm paco and i do figure out alot of stuff by myself especially concerning the food but you helped me along the way
And paco i don't ask people to do something for me i just guess Smonaff is a really nice person i didn't even expect him to do that for me, so please don't get the wrong picture here buddy

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AbstractSIMmer187

Just throwing in my two cents on this, because it's something that a lot of people are unsure about.

There is good copying, and there is bad copying. Bad copying is where one person takes another person's work, changes the name on it, then goes around saying "hey, look what I made, aren't I clever?". That's bad because the person doing the copying hasn't created anything, hasn't learned anything new, and is claiming credit for someone else's work. It'll also result in a swift warning if you post something like that on MTS2.

Good copying on the other hand, is absolutely vital to creating and learning. Good copying involves looking at how someone else did something, then using segments of that solution in your own code. If you don't do that, you end up re-inventing the metaphorical wheel every time.

A significant majority of creators encourage and support this self-teaching, because as Pescado said, it saves them the time and effort of explaining how they did it. So if someone has made a mod which has some particular functionality similar to what you want to create, then you should definitely have a look to see how it works and what you can learn from it!
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 10:11 AM
Good point echo, i get what you saying i just took it in the wrong direction and yes it is good to do good copying cause as you said you learn and teach yourself a whole lot more instead of it been explained to you the whole time, thanks for the heads up

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado

You could have put that more nicely, but the general advice is sound.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#14 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 8:06 AM
Paco, I can understand what you are saying, but go easy on him. Most people need someone to guide them through mistakes when they are beginning at something. Also paco, there isn't a tutorial for everything. Even though someone may be annoying for starters, they will learn something from it. Eventually he will be able to do things on his own. I hope it doesnt look like i am having a go at you, because I'm not trying to make this into a debate, just try to not scare him off from learning.
Corrosively Delightful
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pacotacoplayer
You need to start learning how to do this on your own, dude.

Paco, perhaps you need to start learning a little tact and kindness. I well remember many of your posts and how much of your uploads have had the help of others to make them work right. Patience with others is a nice way to pay it forward...

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
SO much to do and so many other things to distract me.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#16 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 9:22 AM Last edited by Echo : 6th Jan 2007 at 2:48 PM.
Okay, well there are a few things wrong with the package that I can see:

1. You have two text lists with the instance number 0x81. You should only ever have one text list per group/instance combination, and it should contain the names of all the animations you want to use. You've probably imported one from a library when you already had one in the file. If this is the case, you need to either remove one completely, combine the two lists together, or add the new animations you want to the end of the original text list.

2. You've got a lot of things pointing to "Return False" which, at this point in your development, should really be pointing to "Return Error". If something reaches a "Return False" inside an interaction, the interaction will cancel out of the sim's queue without any further information. If you point to "Return Error", then you will actually get a proper error log created which you can use for debugging. There's some very simple information about using error logs here, and some much more BHAV-coder related information here.

3. You should never really have an "Animate Sim" pointing to "Return False" unless you *really* mean it. That is because "Animate Sim" can sometimes return false even if it has not actually failed. (Long and complicated reason, which I can't be bothered explaining here). While you're doing your initial testing, point the false line to "error" so you can tell if a particular line is failing more often than it should. When you go to release the object, it's a good habit to point the false target of an "Animate Sim" to the same thing as the true target. I'm always forgetting to do that myself, and it's not a huge issue, but you'll see it all the time in Maxis objects.

4. You've got "[UNK: ExpenseType:0x81]" in your "Alter Budget" command. Did you read through the discussion I sent you a while back about using the "Budget - Make Transaction" command? I think that would probably be a better option for you here. Aside from anything else though, the UNK means you've provided a parameter which is unknown to the PJSE plugin, which at your level of coding almost certainly means it's not right. If that line fails, then your function will return false even before it reaches the animations, and the interaction will drop from the queue.

Now, with all that said, I'll throw in my own thoughts on the last few posts (some of which you're probably not much going to like hearing from me ).

John is absolutely right, most new BHAV creators do end up posting a lot of requests for help, and rightly so. Making new BHAVs isn't easy, and the first solo (non-tutorial based) project is always a huge and taxing step, for both the creators and for the people helping out!

However, you have had to post a lot of threads about this project in a quite short period of time. That can often mean one of a few things (and I'm not going to say that your project is definitively any one of these, but you might consider if one or more apply):
a) The project you have chosen might be a bit too complicated for your current level of modding experience,
b) You have not yet discovered how to use the information already available for BHAV modders to solve their problems, or,
c) You have not taken sufficient time to try and solve the issue yourself before asking others for help.

For (a) situations, the best thing is to go back and rerun through all the relevant tutorials (or in some cases, run through them for the first time!). If you'll excuse some self-promotion, I've written at two tutorials/articles which would be extremely helpful in trying to make it through that first solo BHAV project:
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=142907
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=212101

For (b) situations, the search button is everyone's best friend. Running a search directly in the "Modding Discussion" (and child) forums is a good way to make sure you actually get what you're looking for. On top of that, existing code (Maxis and modded) is the very best resource you can get on how-to. Many of the top modders today got to that point without any tutorials at all, just by studying Maxis code. If you know an object which costs money to use, then find the code that does that and steal it! If you know an object which creates objects at random, find that code and steal it. Pull apart a few objects, and see what can be found there.

For (c) situations, the solution is much the same as it is for (b) solutions, with a bit of extra patience thrown in. BHAV modding is regarded as one of the most complex tasks in sims modding, specifically because finding where things have gone wrong is neither fast nor easy. I generally have to be stuck on a particular problem for at least three days before I'll post a "help" thread about it. For beginner modders three days is certainly a bit excessive, but you should at least give a problem several hours research and trial/error time, even up to a day, before you throw in the towel and ask the question. Remember that you're making something no one else has made before, and that means it might take a little longer to get it right. And you'll learn a multitude of things by doing it this way, even if those things aren't directly related to the problem at hand.

All that said, you are working at a very high level of modding here. Not knowing the answer to a problem is entirely expected and normal! But the higher the level, the more independent you need to be with problem solving and with self-teaching.

Now, have a go at fixing those issues I listed up top and let us know how it goes!
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 12:14 PM Last edited by AbstractSIMmer187 : 6th Jan 2007 at 1:00 PM.
Thanks, Night Coke and Echo, thanks for understanding.

Thank you so much echo for that info i made all the changes i needed and i'm going to go try it out in-game now.

PACO!, um you said from what you can see everyone is doing the work for me, not to be rude but maybe you got really bad eyesight or you just can't read, but didn't you see what i said in my post at the top "i tried to do all the animating all by myself this time", and yes i did, i clone the object from scratch and done all the animating by myself, and PLEASE! don't act like you Mr. clever and you done all the animating by yourself on your vending machine, YOU ALSO ASKED ALOT OF QUESTIONS!, like i said i only need help, if i don't get help then how will i ever learn from my mistakes.

Thank you again Echo and Smonaff for all you help through this stressing product, i really appreciate your understanding and help through this project.

Okay Echo i'm getting somewhere now :D, i done what you said i should do and i went in the bhavs and changed all the animations "False Target" to "Error" and i deleted the extra texlist 81, okay so i loaded the game so now the sim walks up to the object and the dialog pops up :D, but thats it.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#18 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 2:23 PM
Have you got testing cheats enabled while you run it?
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 2:41 PM Last edited by AbstractSIMmer187 : 6th Jan 2007 at 3:41 PM.
Nope, thanks i'll go try it with the testing cheats enabled cheat activated then i'll come back and tell you

Okay Echo i put the "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" and my sim walked up to the object the dialog came up and then this error message popped up.
With my first sim i clicked on delete and yup my sim got deleted, i have never ever seena error message like that before.

Scholar
#20 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 3:48 PM
So are you still going to animate the crane or just have a crane with...like, just the sim animating?

BTW, sorry of what I said last post. I was having a rough night...not your fault.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Forum Resident
#21 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 3:56 PM
Hey trav, you may have set up your "Animate Sim" node different. I have attached a picture of how it should be set up, usually the ones only need changing from that, is the one for the line from the textlist and the instance of the textlist. But as the error report suggests i think you have left the speed box at 0. 20 is average speed. you wont usually need to change it from that unless you want it slower or faster.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut1/animate.jpg
Instructor
#22 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 4:05 PM
You either have it set so that it gets the animation speed from Temp 2 and Temp 2 is 0 or if not then you have operand 4 set to 0. Here is a link that should help you with setting the correct values for animations.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/0x006A

Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 4:47 PM Last edited by AbstractSIMmer187 : 6th Jan 2007 at 8:45 PM.
Thanks so much John and Sminaff for your help i'll look at that a bit later and get back to you.

Okie so basically whats its telling me is that there is NO SPEED, well i guess i will just change all the speed on my animations to 20, thanks for that john and Smonaff

Okay i changed all the speeds and now that error message is gone :D, but now i get this error message:

Straight after that i clicked cancel and it said "Underfined Transition"

I have no clue whats causing that.

Scholar
#24 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 10:51 PM
Can I interest you in some glass for the crane so sims have to pay for the items inside and can't just take them?

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#25 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 12:01 AM
Copied and pasted from the "My first BHAV" tutorial:
Quote:
Some animations will not work when you try them. If you turn testing cheats on, you'll see that some animations will cause an error that mentions "IK Objects". Animations that require a sim to do something perfectly synchronized with an object or another sim, (for example, when opening a door on a microwave - the door has to move in time to the sim opening it,) have special characteristics which allow them to do this . These animations generally won't work in interactions with different objects. If this happens with one of the animations you try, just find a different one to use instead.
Now, assuming that you've set up your "Animate Sim" primitive to look the same way that John's did above, this is probably the case.
Page 1 of 2