Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 7:49 AM
The support for Windows 7 was always going to end, once Windows 10 was released.

As for me, quite happily using Windows 10.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 3:42 PM
Security holes are a part of any OS Win 10 is no exception and no security update will change that its just an endless game of whack-a-mole.
In truth the weakest point in any security system is the user and from the looks of if MS has been trying to lock users out of security decisions since vista.

As far as support for older windows there are many user communities that still offer help for winXP and if needed even for win95 and 98 and many times the help is far better the any MS ever offered.

I can't help but to point out that this very topic was posted on a sims2 forum a game that has not been supported for some time by EA but yet we can get almost all the help we need here at MTS.
Alchemist
#28 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darkwolf Jr
Security holes are a part of any OS Win 10 is no exception and no security update will change that its just an endless game of whack-a-mole.
In truth the weakest point in any security system is the user and from the looks of if MS has been trying to lock users out of security decisions since vista.

As far as support for older windows there are many user communities that still offer help for winXP and if needed even for win95 and 98 and many times the help is far better the any MS ever offered.

I can't help but to point out that this very topic was posted on a sims2 forum a game that has not been supported for some time by EA but yet we can get almost all the help we need here at MTS.

Exactly! Please come over to http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=626322 and share if you can.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 5:00 PM
My version of windows 10 stopped updating some time ago on my older computer. I bought a chromebook and use it to pay bills and such. But, I have a good firewall and VPN, so I'm really okay on the other computer.

The Sims works fine on windows 10. it takes a bit of surgery, but it's worth it. We'll help you through it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#30 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 5:27 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 19th Apr 2019 at 5:43 PM.
well, you can still go "upgrade" if you really insist, Microsoft leaved a hole in the update program (they really want everybody to jump onto that trainwreck).

You can go into Linux, that's a valid option. It has it's downsides (not so much if you do not play ultra-new games or don't use very specific software) and there's a learning curve (not really much bigger nowadays than suddenly learning MacOS for someone familiar only with Windows' ways). But also there're many benefits, too.

If you want/have to to stay on W7, well - be more hygienic. There's no need to sudden panic or hysteria. Your machine won't blow up the 2nd of January, nor terrible viruses infestation will pop out from nowhere. You won't get updates, that's it. You need to be more careful, making your backups diligently, keep software updates in regular schedule, mostly: just behave like adult person.

And for clarification: (if anybody is interested in)

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Field Researcher
#31 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 7:57 PM
I don't like Windows 10 because it's very bloated and no privacy. Plus Sims 2 runs badly on it
Field Researcher
#32 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 8:00 PM
When Windows 7 supports end I am planning to get a Mac but keep my Windows 7 machine around just for Sims 2(Because of Ultimate Collection) or maybe get a XP or Vista gaming rig for Sims 2
Inventor
#33 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 9:08 PM Last edited by Primavera : 29th Apr 2019 at 10:10 PM.
Default found out current computer build
I had to swallow my pride and accept Win10 and its hangups after the customer support people at Microsoft told me there's no way to get valid copies of Win7/Win8 anymore, and that my system wouldn't support it even if copies were still being sold (it's a Dell Inspiron 5675 with AMD Ryzen 5-series w/ a 1TB HDD). I have the Ultimate Collection and after using the GraphicRules it runs the same as it did on my Win7/Win8 laptops, just smoother and less choppy now that I have 8GB of RAM.

Only thing that kept me from playing was the automatic updates from Dell that installs new versions of Win10. I would always roll back until the same thing happened. I did some tinkering and discovered I could uninstall Dell's automatic updates altogether, and my computer build has been the same since I got it (1703), so now my desktop gets regular updates for software and I have a good antivirus program. I also uninstalled all of the bloatware and my desktop still runs fine. Eventually someday I'm gonna install an SSD for more space but my current setup makes playing the Sims a breeze.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Scholar
#34 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 9:32 AM
The warning is not a surprise because the deadline is legitimate (I don't receive non-critical Microsoft updates, and I think this particular prompt was filed under "important" due to the controversy over the way the last set of warnings/unwanted-upgrading was handled). From January 14, 2020, Windows 7 exits "extended support", which means it no longer gets security updates. Given the speed at which security holes get exploited these days, and how much trouble they can cause users, that's a big problem... ...if the computer is still on the internet at this point.

Please please please do not continue to have the Windows 7 computer connected to the internet after it ceases to be supported; any fundamental holes in its security are likely to remain unfixed unless they are so severe as to compromise the security of the web as a whole (this has happened once, in the WannaCry situation, which is why there's an XP patch that dates from years after it stopped receiving "extended support"). While the message is clearly intended to convince people to buy Microsoft's latest product and help out its OEM suppliers (I wonder if they are not as inclined to continue supporting Microsoft as previously, because I've never heard of this happening on machines compatible with the latest operating system before?), Windows 8.1 is not something one can buy new (though it is in extended support until January 10, 2023, should you prefer that option), and Microsoft considers people using insecure operating systems on the internet to be as bad as them switching products to a rival. (Certainly, their shareholders would find both alternatives unacceptable).

Thankfully, there is no element of Sims 2 that strictly requires the internet, provided you don't have an Origin version. If you do have Origin, this is more of a problem - the newer updates "phone home" before launch and the older ones still have to have internet access to install. I'm not sure what the workaround is for installing Origin-based versions of Sims 2 safely to a computer that has no internet connection, though there may well be one.

If you're using disks, I would consider one of the following:

Solution 1 (recommended if you are OK with 2 computers in the house)

1) Get a cheap current computer with a supported operating system (or, at the least, a used computer that's not more than a few years old and is compatible with a still-supported operating system). It doesn't need to be expensive, fancy or in any way custom, just something that will surf the internet well. If you prefer not to have Windows 10 in your house at all (and I'm sympathetic to this viewpoint, to the point of considering a Linux-based dual-boot system), choose a Mac or have a user-friendly Linux distribution as the operating system (the latter is cheaper than the former but Macs are more or less open-and-go). You may do this step any time between now and mid-January next year, so if you need to save up to do this, starting now is a good idea.

2) Transfer your internet connection to the current computer. Anything that absolutely must use the internet should also be installed onto the current computer. The custom computer can continue to have all off-line software, just Sims 2, or anything in between those two states.

3) Use USB sticks or a network connection to transfer new CC from the internet computer to your Sims computer. In the latter case, please make sure your Sims computer is never able to "see" the internet connection (computers don't use internet connections if they are unaware they exist). If desk space is at a premium, consider installing a KVM switch so you can use the same monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse for both machines.

4) In return, the "current" computer is a good place to put neighbourhood backups.

This is the least disruptive solution from the perspective of the Simming computer (the install can stay on, the operating system can stay on, you probably won't need much/any technical assistance to make it work, and if you like all the software can as well), keeps the computer safe from infestation and will also future-proof it from any other changes Microsoft or other elements of the outside world may wish to impose on your Simming experience.

Solution 2

1) Choose what operating system you'd prefer for your internetting: Windows 10, Windows 8.1 (if you can get a legitimate used copy), Linux or Mac.

2) Find and work through a dual-boot installation method; this is an example one. I'd consider putting each operating system you want on a separate hard drive and getting a boot manager to make the process a bit friendlier.

This may require an extra hard drive and more setting-up on the Simming computer, but means you don't have to juggle the use of two boxes.

I do not know how well a virtual machine will work given how demanding Sims 2 can be, but it is also worth considering if you have a powerful enough computer.
Scholar
#35 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 1:06 PM
Well, WannaCry did not attack only abandoned or unsupported systems (XP/Vista), it has targetted particular hole in the SMB protocol (disk shares) introduced there by/on demand of NSA present also in Windows 7 and 8.x ('till finally patched). Having fully upgraded, supported etc. system does not protect against zero-day exploits (by definition, like antivirus or antimalware it can only fight with known enemy or enemy very similar to known one) nor against broken design like not isolated users' space, very broad target area, constantly active two level of superusers, shared system database (the registry) and ofc lack of control and quality curation in Windows and its drivers (etc.). The whole "drama" (and real drama) with ransomware and similar attacks was (and still is) result of complete lack of responsibility of staff, and most importantly: management.
It could be easily avoided with very basic level of security.

So: no, being "updated" does not make you "safe", like being not does not make you suddenly "unsafe", you're just on the same level of danger like before. Just now - you probably (?) know it. Not mentioning that each modern CPU has embedded awful hole with which we all life today (until that idiocy bite us really hard, which *will* happen, eventually) and if you want to be safer you need act like you'd fight with the Cylons: go all the way back into obsolete hardware territory for Libreboot, Librephone and so on.

Setting up dual-boot is not really a solution until you make an extra mile and set up two disks (Windows sooner or later will mess up bootloader or outright destroy other partitions just "because Windows"), it's relatively usable on Mac because of special environment which is created for Windows to avoid it's inherently bad behaviour.
VM is viable option if you really have no other option; in Sims 2 case, the game should work fine without beautifications on modern machines, the only problem is to have proper Windows' keys or using temporary development vms and refreshing them periodically. On Linux there's no problem at all (actually it works a lot better even considering lost in wine-translation efficiency), plus - besides the sole UC installation process EA's telemetry won't work and won't eat your resources.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Theorist
#36 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 5:32 PM Last edited by Misty_2004 : 20th Apr 2019 at 5:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I had to swallow my pride and accept Win10 and its hangups after the customer support people at Microsoft told me there's no way to get valid copies of Win7/Win8 anymore, and that my system wouldn't support it even if copies were still being sold (it's a Dell Inspiron 5675 with AMD Ryzen 5-series w/ a 1TB HDD). I have the Ultimate Collection and after using the GraphicRules it runs the same as it did on my Win7/Win8 laptops, just smoother and less choppy now that I have 8GB of RAM.

Only thing that kept me from playing was the automatic updates from Dell that installs new versions of Win10. I would always roll back until the same thing happened. I did some tinkering and discovered I could uninstall Dell's automatic updates altogether, and my computer build has been the same since I got it (1709 I do believe), so now my desktop gets regular updates for software and I have a good antivirus program. I also uninstalled all of the bloatware and my desktop still runs fine. Eventually someday I'm gonna install an SSD for more space but my current setup makes playing the Sims a breeze.

I have a Dell Latitude with an i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and Windows 7. Its only downside is that its graphics card is from somewhere like 2005. However, it was designed for business use so I mainly use it for keeping track of my crocheting stuff, my research projects, manipulating music files, etc. and have my old games installed on it. I could not believe how fast TS2 with the CC I have in it loads. On my old XP machine (I never got around to installing it on my Windows 7 desktop because I have TS3 on it) it took at least five minutes with that amount of CC to load. Now I start it up, wait for the movie and click to stop that, and before I can even come back from the bathroom which is a room away it's loaded. Anyway, more on point (just out of curiosity) is what would stop your computer from running Windows 7?

In reference to spying and what-not, Windows 8 and beyond were built with a backdoor. Unless I'm mistaken the same was added to Windows 7 in an update a few years ago. I'm sure this is why some people haven't updated since.

I think many could do all right going with Linux at this stage of the game. For many years, I think it's about fifteen now, I've always wanted to switch but never could because I ran too much stuff that wasn't supported. Long story short I inadvertently sent my son on a Linux path when he was about thirteen. He's never looked back. He doesn't do the same kind of things I do, though, but it's appearing more and more like Linux would work for me now. There are many different options for the OS and all the bells and whistles that can go with them.
Scholar
#37 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 5:50 PM
"the backdoor" - I suppose you have in mind Microsoft Management (very simply put: ability to execute any code on demand on standalone machine, which is partially used by Windows update service among others questionable functionalities) it's there since Windows 7. Nobody really cared until gwx service landed on theirs machines and tried to lure, impose or trick user into "voluntary free update to Windows 10".

It still really bugs me that MS was not crucified because of that. Particularly in the country obsessed with real (and surreal) "war with terrorism", "freedom", "free market" and 'ol that good stuff and tin hats. On the other hand, nothing should really surprise me since Windows NT which was offered (and accepted) as the main driver for the US military. Like... that was really scary.

Instructor
#38 Old 20th Apr 2019 at 7:20 PM
Are Microsoft going to pay for a new Laptop for me with Windows 10 that runs Sims 2 great?!

If so, I'm all for it!!! I want a great machine that has a fantastic graphics card and will load my Sims 2 in 2 mintues.

If not...then I think I'll stick to my Windows 8.1 Laptop! Thank you!
Scholar
#39 Old 21st Apr 2019 at 3:14 AM
It took me the whole day to figure out how to get my sims to work on Windows 10...but i finally got it...I love this game so much...nothing will stop me from playing it =]
Mad Poster
#40 Old 21st Apr 2019 at 5:11 AM
More Win 10 L&P (Lies & Propaganda) from Microshit. Not surprised they're insisting on forcing bloatware onto people.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 21st Apr 2019 at 5:19 AM
Meh. Microshit can keep their bloatware. I'll stick with Windows 7 for as long as possible and there's no way I'm buying a new computer.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 5:46 PM
I play UC on Win10 and have not had any issues. You don't have to change it if you don't want to, but it's certainly not going to break your game if you do
Mad Poster
#43 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 6:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
So: no, being "updated" does not make you "safe", like being not does not make you suddenly "unsafe", you're just on the same level of danger like before. Just now - you probably (?) know it. ...

No matter how much you update or scan your computer, there's no way to be 100% safe. Even if there is no malware, there could still be hardware/software failure, accidents, theft, or anything else that could create problems with the files you want to keep safe.

With any system, I guess one of the best ways to be protected from most of these issues is to do frequent backups of your important files (preferably multiple, and separate from each other and from the machine), and maybe a full backup of the computer once in a while, so you can do a system restore if you're really unlucky.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 7:36 PM
Experiences with Windows 10 seem to vary widely. I've seen posts from Win 10 users who have no problem running Sims 2 and others from people who have no end of problems and can barely get the game to load. I'm sticking with Windows 7 for as long as I can. I only apply security updates and Win 7 has never had or caused a problem with my Sims 2 game.
Page 2 of 2