Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 10:50 AM Last edited by Echo : 11th Sep 2008 at 12:52 PM.
UV Mapping & Adding Textures In Wings 3D - Tutorial - For beginner to Intermediate learners - By Travis

Hi all

This tutorial will teach you a neat trick in Wings 3D

It teaches you from scratch how to UV Map a object and add textures in Wings 3D.

IT IS NOT COPIED FROM ANYONE.

This tutorial is aimed for beginners to Intermediate creators, it doesn't teach you how to make a object or how to clone and extract a object out of SimPE, so make sure you know how to do that before you start.

It is in Word Format

With that said if you got any problems or questions that you would like to ask then feel free to post them here.

For a more detailed explanation on how to carry out this procedure, i suggest you follow this link provided by Crocobaura.

http://www.geocities.com/peterchov/BarrelUV.html

Kind Regards

Travis

----------
Tutorials:UV_Mapping_and_Adding_Textures_In_Wings_3Dwiki
Attached files:
File Type: rar  UV Mapping and adding textures in Wings 3D - By Travis.rar (1.07 MB, 658 downloads) - View custom content

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 12:55 PM
Reserved.

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2007 at 9:54 AM
can we type a thank you here? i hope so. well thank you so much

TASH

http://passionssims2com.page.tl/

my own website. check it out
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2007 at 8:26 PM
Actually - I couldnt get this document to open. It said it was a wordpad doc but only popped up windows infinity on errors. I did try downloading it 3 times and got the same result each time.
Part-time Hermit
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 8:24 AM
I can try emailing it to you if you give me your email address, the file downloads and opens fine for me.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 4:47 PM Last edited by Alektra : 23rd Mar 2007 at 5:31 PM.
Edit:

Thanks very much for the offer IBliss ^^

Though it was identified as a "wordpad" document on my PC, its a "word" document - I tracked down microsoft "word reader" and that seems to have fixed the problem!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 7:24 AM
Good tutorial. Sometimes the pictures cover up the text, but I am using open office to view the document, so that could be the problem.

I have a question regarding this statement -

"If you are doing multiply cokes or cool drinks then feel free to import a whole variety of PNG Images JUST REMEMBER that u must duplicate the cylinder then all you have to do is follow my steps from scratch :D, here is something I done with different cool drinks."

Say, for instance, you have your single can of coke all nice and UV mapped. If you were to select the entire object, and duplicate it, does it not copy the UV mapping information either? Is that why it has to be done from scratch for each individual can of coke? Or is this only if you want say, a can of coke, a can of sprite, a can of sunkist...etc. ?

I'm asking because I'm making something for a grocery store, so multiples of one item would be amazing - but it would be awful tedious to say, go through and do that for each one if they are all using the same texture.

I know that in UV mapper, I could technically drag all of the pieces over each other, but I also know that in UV mapper, it can get pretty messy trying to discern what is what.

Thank you very much for your help and for this tutorial!
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 9:36 AM Last edited by AbstractSIMmer187 : 9th Apr 2007 at 9:41 AM.
The answer to your question.

As you were saying like say for example you made a can and you UV Mapped it nicely, YES if you do duplicate it then it will also duplicate the UV Mapped image as well from the previous coke.

Maybe i was explaining wrong, but when i said from scratch i meant, you have to redo the whole texture i.e you need to import a new PNG image lets say of Dr. Pepper and apply that image on the coke.... SO in otherwards IT has to be done from scratch in order for your new texture to show on your duplicated can of coke....

Of course as you were saying you were making some grocerie items, so if you making a can of beans and you uv mapped it nicely you could always just duplicate that can of beans and place them in a orderly fashion, BUT YES if you going to UV Map another object in your scene then you have to import your new PNG and do all the uv ampping from scratch.

I personally don't like this method NOR do i dislike it because it just takes to long but i thought i would share it with the community with those who are interested.

Yes so it does have advantages and disadvantge.

Advantage, you can view your textures there and then in 3d and not wait to load a preview in SimPE to see the finished product.

Disadvantage, it takes LONG to go through each object uv mapping them individually where else in UV Mapper you just need to spread them out over the page and apply textures in your 3D paint editor program then import back into SimPE and walla theres all your textures added with NO hassle.

Although i do stand to be corrected!

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 10:09 PM
Thanks for your quick reply! I actually took a liking to this method because I hate that in UV mapper, I can't pull a ctrl+z to undo something.

Thank you again for this tutorial, and your help! =)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 9:03 AM
Actually, your UV mapping stays with the object even with the objects duplicated from a UV Mapped object. You can check this by importing your mesh in UV Mapper professional and then importing whatever png picture and you'll see that the object is uv mapped. If your texture has similar layout you will see that the new texture displays just as the original one. So if you want to make many many types of beverages, you can just recolour the texture. If you want the texture map simply import in UV Mapper classic and save it in a separate file. Here's a tutorial that explains things a bit better. http://www.geocities.com/peterchov/BarrelUV.html
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 1:28 PM
Thanks you Crocobaura for the link, i will add it to my top post.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 2:38 PM
Thank you very much Abstract Simmers for this tutorial.

Marjorie Dawes: Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust.
Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.
Sims Love to Run with Scissors, Simmers Love to Download.
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 9:44 AM
I really liked this Tutorial and It did really helped me so thank you But when I try to import the object in to SimPE it says: Warning: One or more of the imported Mesh groups contain too many Vertices or Fases, and it dosent let me import the file at all. Is there someway of combine the object with the texture layer? I have been trying diffrent things to make it work, any suggestion with what I might have done wrong?