5 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#2201 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 3:31 PM
Oreos and peanut butter
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2202 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 5:01 AM
"You are NOT wearing THAT for a formal!"

"So are you going to eat some of that pizza or just stand there looking stupid and getting in everyone else's way?"
Mad Poster
#2203 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 2:52 PM
"Dammit, Circe!"
As she nose-flicked her live-in nanny's nose in the background of somebody else's date.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#2204 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:04 PM
How do you pronounce Circe? When i pronounce it in french is sounds weird...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#2205 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:50 PM
In my head, it sounds like "Serse." I'm not sure if that's right though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#2206 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:03 PM
I always said it Serkay...doubt that's right either though.

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#2207 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:11 PM
According to Behind the Name, it's pronounced SUR-see. I always said it as Seers. Oh well, looks like I wasn't the only one confused about her name
Field Researcher
#2208 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:14 PM Last edited by ourladyplumbob : 13th Aug 2017 at 7:48 PM.
I've always said Sir-say (probably wrong)
Edit: Oooh, I was closer than I thought! I've just resigned myself to fact I am probably pronouncing 99% of things incorrectly :
Lab Assistant
#2209 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 8:03 PM Last edited by Fouksia : 13th Aug 2017 at 8:28 PM.
I'm Greek and I've always pronounced it Sirsee. That's the closest to the Greek name, except both syllables are pronounced with a hard K sound in Greek.

Edit: oh, also, for the billionth time just now: get out of the damn hot tub or I swear to God I'm taking it away, you're not going to cheat!
Mad Poster
#2210 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 8:35 PM
Thanks everyone. For one, I never see or heard of that name..she must be a premade sims, and I do not have them. So I had no references. I was just convinced, that it was not french and so i had to pronounce it in English.

Lab Assistant
#2211 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 8:54 PM
Circe was a nymph or witch in Homer's Odyssey. She prepared a feast for Odysseus' men, laced with a magic potion that turned them into pigs. Eventually, after Odysseus (or is it Ulysses?) out-tricked her with help from the God Hermes and spent a year on her island, she told him how to get back to Ithaca.
Field Researcher
#2212 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fouksia
Circe was a nymph or witch in Homer's Odyssey. She prepared a feast for Odysseus' men, laced with a magic potion that turned them into pigs. Eventually, after Odysseus (or is it Ulysses?) out-tricked her with help from the God Hermes and spent a year on her island, she told him how to get back to Ithaca.

Ooh, that's so cool and interesting. I love the thought that went into the premades' names.

Also in regards to this thread: I've mainly just been doing sympathy winces for Lazlo... "Oh dear, honey, no you probably shouldn't be trying to first kiss her, oh sweetheart no, please do not try and hug her..."
Mad Poster
#2213 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:59 AM
Odysseus and Ulysses were the same person. Odysseus is the Greek name, Ulysses is Roman.

I'm surprised how many people don't know this story. Do you also need Loki's name glossed, or is he familiar enough from the Marvel movies? It's more of a misnomer for him, though, because Loki is a trickster rather than an outright evil god. Diana Wynne Jones's book, Eight Days of Luke, has a brilliant characterization of him, as one of those teen-agers who does things because they're cool and interesting and doesn't think about consequences.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#2214 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 3:01 AM
Marvel? no thanks. Though i have no questions about how to pronounce Loki. This is quite simple.

Mad Poster
#2215 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 3:11 AM
Loki is from Norse mythology and only got hijacked for Marvel's purposes. He's the one who convinced Thor to dress as a woman to visit the Frost Giants, turned himself into a mare in heat so Odin didn't have to pay for a construction project, and so on.

Mad Poster
#2216 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 3:16 AM
I do wonder if EAxis mixed up Loki and Odin, considering that in Norse mythology, Odin was associated with knowledge and frenzy along with a bunch of other stuff.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#2217 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 5:26 AM
"You just put your child in her crib. Making a racket in the room where you have just put your child down to sleep is just a tad stupid, don't you think?"

And I need to read Eight Days of Luke!
Mad Poster
#2218 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 5:57 AM
Everyone should read Diana Wynne Jones, yes. Fair warning, Blue Alien - although some of Loki/Luke's antics are referred to, she doesn't retell any of the NSFW adventures. Luke is accidentally freed by a teen-age boy and they hang out. The boy just wants to avoid his awful family and play cricket, but Luke can't help creating havoc. You know, boys will be boys stuff, setting buildings on fire, things like that. You'll catch more of what's going on earlier if you read up the Norse myths first, but since the protagonist knows squat about that stuff it's not necessary to your enjoyment of the first read unless you like being in on all the in-jokes and staying ahead of the viewpoint character.

"Oh, that's right, I get to play the Knowes!" As I open Widespot and remember I moved in families for the LGU kids and placed the Knowes in the new manufactured home development, in the first slot of the rotation. But all I did today was furnish their trailer.

Scholar
#2219 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:14 PM
Thanks, Peni. I love DWJ and Norse myths, so I don't know how I missed this one. Just placed a hold on it at the library.
Lab Assistant
#2220 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 9:19 PM
"This has to be the most stupid combination of turn ons/offs I've ever seen."
Setting up a new uberhood. Lola Curious rolled fitness and fatness as turn ons and athletic as turn off.

"Why don't you want to do something useful with your life?"
After finding the upteenth family Sim with the the "raise 20 kittens/puppies"-LTW.
Mad Poster
#2221 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 10:22 PM Last edited by Orilon : 20th Aug 2017 at 1:37 AM.
"Ugh, no, that is the last thing she needs."
Gabe O'Mackey married Patricia Wan and they both wanted to go on vacation. I heard baby chimes when they ACR woohooed in their hotel room, and noticed their hunger was down. I had Gabe order room service, and at first accidentally clicked on the cheesecake option. After saying quote above, I quickly changed it to hamburgers. (If a pregnant Sim eats cheesecake it changes the pregnancy to twins).

"Well, crap, she was having twins anyway" when I see the notice about TWO babies being on the way. There is not room in the O'Mackey house for Gabe, Patricia, Jules and the twins, so I'm thinking about sending Jules to college the next rotation.

Edit to Add:

"Oh for... do Patricia Wan and Cleo Shikibu have twin tokens?" Cleo Shikibu married a Sim I made for her, and they both rolled the want for a baby. They ACR woohooed and I heard chimes. When I checked the ACR pregnancy scanner, It indicated that they would have twins.

Patricia had boy/girl twins, and Cleo had boy/girl twins.
Mad Poster
#2222 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 2:02 AM
I always said Surse. Loki I'm never sure whether it's low-key or low-kye. (I'm not a superhero fan at all.)

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#2223 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 2:13 AM
Low-key. Which is ironic as heck. (He didn't start as a superhero; he's a Norse god.)

Instructor
#2224 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 1:00 PM
"No fucking way Brandi"

Scholar
#2225 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:43 AM
"I think I selected the Duracell bunny by mistake"

Richard Carlyon wanted to go on a date... ...and another one... ...and another one. He ended up going on six dates, each in a different part of Polgannon village so that I didn't get bored, before he finally admitted he was tired and needed to go home. I think he kept going for two Sim days. This was particularly impressive since before this, he'd done two hours of yoga to increase his Body skill and gone to work for another seven.
Page 89 of 169