Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 8:05 PM
Nouk, override1resourcekeyidx should be 7, not 8 - numbers start from 0, not from 1. And Dr Pixel correction about numoverrides is right.
Quote:
I don't know if this would be a problem, but I have also noticed that Maxis meshes with more than one group never have a bump-map.
Shouldn't be. I have a custom mesh with 3 groups and all with bumps, and did added bumps to Maxis mesh (that crazy-splitted default nightie) - had no problems.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 8:46 PM
Hi Jasana Bugbreeder

Sadly after changing what you told me , the texture still won't appear...
I see you got your textres working, would you be willing to let me use your texture file with the 3 groups?

Greetz from Nouk

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Instructor
#78 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 11:22 PM
Nouk, sure which age you need it for? what are subset names?
I suppose adult (from your screenshots), then there's standard afbodyslip mesh (that's crazy-splitted nightie I've mentioned) with 3 groups (body, body_alpha3, body_alpha5) - I attached its retexture with normalmaps for all layers. (Textures are all the same because it's a temporary package.)
I can describe how I'm adding normal maps to textures, if you want - there are 3 ways and each has some tricky points perhaps you missed something when altered your TXMTs, so they aren't seen?
My custom mesh with 3 layers is for children; subsets are body, flares, flares2. If you'll think it's easier to start from it, I'll upload it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  temp_afundiesJasana.rar (52.8 KB, 21 downloads)
Scholar
#79 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 10:52 AM
Wow, thanks so much!

I think not only I would appreciate a smale tute, but aloyt of other people who are into skinning and meshing, too I've seen several people interrested in this kind of thing lately so, a small guide woul be fantastic!

And thanks so much for the textures! Now I can see how it looks with bumpies :D
The temporal texture would be great for now, because I do have the adult mesh. I can use yours to compare to my texture file as well, see if there are any mistakes on mine.
I allready have a cute mesh ready, it actually has 2 groups, but in the future I'd like to try with more if it's ever needed.

*edit* I could change the group names in Milkshape to fit your texture file.
So thanks again!
Nouk

Forum Resident
#80 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 6:19 PM Last edited by OwaizooDE : 6th Jul 2006 at 7:41 PM.
i have some questions!!
i m making the mesh-now what should i put in the comment for the new group i added?

and where it says add or clone-please tell me how should i add or clone?
how should i add or clone matd and how should i add or clone txmt-

when i completed somehow-when i saw the mesh-it was wearing maxis default undies-with maxis mesh-and when i exported it said-error exporting textures
help me please?
answer everything above
thanks
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#81 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 12:10 AM
OwaizooDE how many groups do you NEED and for what purpose. You should always try and use a mesh that has the number of groups you need before even attempting this method. You can switch the gender of a mesh (not age, but gender) by editing the recolor file - so you can use the female hula, for instance, for just about anything. Your alpha could have multiple parts to it, a bracelet and skirt would not require 2 different groups to work, just map them to diff parts of the same graphic.
Forum Resident
#82 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 1:56 PM
i know the hula girl method-i heard that this method adds group to any mesh-
so i used afbodyswimwear and added a group named shoes
i want to make glass sandals-so i made shoes as seperate group-i wanted to try-
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#83 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 6:22 PM
Well, you could look at the hula to see what sort of comments would be needed. Seriously, if you want to do this 'just because' then you need to put in the effort to keep trying things and testing the results *yourself*
Instructor
#84 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 8:41 PM
Nouk, sorry, I was lazy to write normal tutorial, and now I'm going to be offline for a long while so I'll put text comments here, hope they'll be helpful. Perhaps I'll make normal tutorial of it later, or someone else does

First, it depends on mesh whether bump map textures can be added. As a way to check, you can look in mesh package, GMDC resource, Elements tab - number of 'BumpMapNormal' rows there (with non-zero number of vertices) should be exactly the same as the number of subsets. If it's smaller, then bumpmaps won't work for some subsets.
Actually, at present time I know one mesh for which above is not true - it has needed number of BumpMapNormal elements, but bump maps don't work for it. I don't know why I know that for Maxis meshes, and for all my meshes (created using 3dsmax + smd import/export plugin) bump maps work.

If mesh looks bumpmap-enabled, let's change the recolor package.

First, you need to add TXTR resource for the bumpmap.
Select a TXTR resource with the name of subset that you're adding bump map to (i.e. ##0x7f9504ee!body~stdMatBaseTextureName_txtr). Clone it, select clone.
In the Filename editbox - on top-left of Plugin View - there are 2 controls near Filename label, combobox and editbox, you need editbox - replace 'Base' with 'NormalMap' (i.e. to ##0x7f9504ee!body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName_txtr).
Copy (to Notepad) the name without _txtr suffix, you'll need it.
Click on 'Fix TGI' blue link.
In the Format combobox, select 'Raw8Bit'. (By default, it holds 'DXT3Format').
Import your bump map texture now, if you want, or clone the package later, whatever is more convenient to you.
Click Commit.

Select TXMT resource corresponding to the same subset. You have to do changes on 2 tabs - Properties and File List.

On Properties tab, on the right side, there's Properties block with editboxes 'Name' and 'Value', and links 'add' and 'delete'.
Click 'add' four times. This'll add 4 rows containing ':' to the properties list.
Select each of these rows and put the following strings to Name and Value editboxes:
- 1st added row: Name - stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingU, Value - tile
- 2nd added row: Name - stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingV, Value - tile
- 3rd added row: Name - stdMatNormalMapTextureEnabled, Value - true
- 4th added row: Name - stdMatNormalMapTextureName, Value - the name of your new TXTR resource, without _txtr suffix (i.e. ##0x7f9504ee!body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName)
Click on the 'Sort list' link.
If you hadn't missed anything, then, on Categorized Properties tab, you now have 'Default NormalMap' block with the 4 values you've added. If it's not there, you either misprinted a Name or forgot to click on 'Sort list'.

On File List tab, there's list at the left, 'Filename' editbox and 'add' and 'delete' links to the left. The list has one item, select it and click 'add' - now there are 2 items.
Replace the 1st (position is important!) item with the name of new TXTR resource, without _txtr suffix.
Of the replacement value: actually, for skins, it could be name of any Maxis bumpmap texture. For example, in the adult clothing attached above, I used 'cfbodydressformal-all-bump' - that's child texture - and Bodyshop/game eaten this. For an object, this tab must contain TXTR names from current package. And, I also had object looking really weird when I put names in wrong order - first base, then normalmap - so I assume that order is important for skins too.

After changing both tabs, you can Commit TXMT resource, and save package. Bumpmap should now work for this subset.

Quote:
and where it says add or clone-please tell me how should i add or clone?
OwaizooDE, you should Clone. Add imports a resource you've exported earlier.
Quote:
how should i add or clone matd and how should i add or clone txmt-
MATD is a very old naming for a TXMT. You should clone TXTR, TXMT, and correct all links, as Sunair explained.
Quote:
when i completed somehow-when i saw the mesh-it was wearing maxis default undies-with maxis mesh
If it didn't look like the mesh you did, it means you messed up something. Re-check your steps.
Forum Resident
#85 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 12:56 PM Last edited by OwaizooDE : 8th Jul 2006 at 4:56 PM.
u helped a lot
thanks

few more questions

Qutoed from sunair:
"2. Add or Clone any TXTR in the recolor package, always fix TGI after change any name. Replace the image with the extra new one.
3. Add or Clone any MATD in the recolor package, fix TGI when change any name, edit the parameters."
for step 2
where it says
"always fix TGI after change any name. Replace the image with the extra new one."
how do i change the name? is it necesary to change the name?

"Replace the image with the extra new one."
where is the new exxtra image? with which image should i replace it?where would i get that image?

for step 3

"edit the parameters."" how do i edit the parameters? there is no where where it says parameters? what should i edit in them

sorry i sound dumb-but i m trying to be as clear as i can-

EDIT:
sorry i m flooding with questions

in his post on page 1 PAF said about adding more gorups
so is it just that like if i add more then a extra gorup-like a add extra groups and follow sunairs tutorial-and make changed in binx for 2 subsets-so add 2 extra values-so is this how i should do?
or do i need to make new matd for new subet too-like i make 2 extra subsets so i add or clone 2 matd and 2 txtr-
thanks
Forum Resident
#86 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 10:03 AM
sorry for anoter post-but is anyone gonna help me and answer questions above?
Instructor
#87 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 11:24 AM
Quote:
how do i change the name?
Type it into Filename editbox. Surprizing, isn't it? :D
Quote:
is it necesary to change the name?
Yes, someone mentioned earlier that TXTR names for skins must follow Maxis naming conventions(group number - subset name - texture type name), otherwise they wouldn't work.
Quote:
where is the new exxtra image? with which image should i replace it?where would i get that image?
'Extra image' is the texture for the additional part. You should create it in your graphic program.
Quote:
how do i edit the parameters? there is no where where it says parameters?
TXMT resource opens with Properties tab by default. If you select something in the bottom-left list, name and value of a property appears to the right. Guess what happens if you change a value
Quote:
what should i edit in them
Well, if you have no idea, I suggest you to open packages for a single-subset and multiple-subset meshes, and simply compare the list and names of resources, perhaps you'll get some clues. To think of, you had 3 weeks between those 2 post of yours...

When you add new subset, you have to add textures for it, right? That's one of notable reasons why to add a subset - you can map it however you want, there's no need to follow original body mapping.
Then, you need to make that new subset 'see' those new textures, otherwise it's no use in adding them.

GZPS resource links subset and material - it stores subset name in 'override<number>subset', and position of TXMT resource in 3IDR resource in 'override<number>resourcekeyidx'. So you need to add properties there.
Then, 3IDR resource refers to TXMTs used in package - so you need to add your new TXMT there.
Then, TXMT finds its TXTRs by names, stored in stdMatBaseTextureName and (if exists) stdMatNormalMapTextureName.So you need to change those.

Actually, you do these 3 steps in reverse order. May I skip explaining why?
Test Subject
#88 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 6:43 PM
Sorry for being a newbie at this, but what do you mean by "Link the recolor package to the new mesh package as usual"
Instructor
#89 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 9:23 PM
Quote:
what do you mean by "Link the recolor package to the new mesh package as usual"
That's part of any clothing meshing tutorial. For example, 'Part IV' steps in this and this tutorials.
Test Subject
#90 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 5:30 AM
I've now able to make a new group with its own texture, but I'm still having trouble making the new group transparent. I've done PAF's directions of changing the stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend and such, but it doesn't seem to work and when I come back to the file, it reverts back to "none", even though I've previously pressed commit and save. I also tried the hula skirt method, but that didn't work for me either, unless I was doing it wrong. Is it possible someone could wrtie a step-by-step explaination on how they got a recolor to become transparent? Or is there any other suggestions that anyone has to help me?
Instructor
#91 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 12:37 PM
Quote:
but it doesn't seem to work and when I come back to the file, it reverts back to "none", even though I've previously pressed commit and save
I had the same problem few times. Not sure if I figured out the reason correctly, but it seems to be that if you press Commit right after entering a value, that value is not stored. Try to move focus somewhere - for example, select another property, and click commit after that.
Test Subject
#92 Old 1st Aug 2006 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
I had the same problem few times. Not sure if I figured out the reason correctly, but it seems to be that if you press Commit right after entering a value, that value is not stored. Try to move focus somewhere - for example, select another property, and click commit after that.

Ok, thanks, I'll try that.
Forum Resident
#93 Old 1st Aug 2006 at 12:19 PM
thanksyou Jasana_BugBreeder
i asked lot questions-thansk for replying-i will get bak with results soon
Scholar
#94 Old 21st Sep 2006 at 9:39 PM
Thank you, Jasana_Bugbreeder! I will definately try out the bumpmaps... as soon as I finally get a bodymesh with added groups working

I don't know if you still view this topic, but I have a new question:
As soon as I edit the numoverrides to the amount I need, the mesh stops working. But when I change it back, the mesh appears again, but not with the new meshparts. How do I do this right?

Let's say I added 3 new groups to a mesh that originally has 2 groups, a total of 5.
When I edit the numoverrides to 5, the mesh stops working.
When I edit it bavck to 2, the mesh appears again, but ofcourse without the mesh parts...

Instructor
#95 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
As soon as I edit the numoverrides to the amount I need, the mesh stops working. But when I change it back, the mesh appears again, but not with the new meshparts.
You likely put something incorrectly in additional override items.
First, if numoverrides = 5, then you should have override<number>resourcekeyidx/override<number>shape/override<number>subset with <number> from 0 to 4 - is it so?
Second, did you put correct numbers to override<number>resourcekeyidx fields? Numbers of positions in 3IDR resource start from 0, not from 1 - I remember you making this mistake once. Try to recheck them.
Page 4 of 4