Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 6:51 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 12th Nov 2006 at 6:23 AM.
Pets EP - Flashing Blue Accessories
Okay, let's see if we can track this one down.
Please if you post, do your best to identify _which_ accessories you have (who made them, etc), any odd stuff, and what video card you have.

Don't know if we'll be able to find anything in common with them, but we can try.

--------
Btw, if you go 'change appearance' in game, you should be able to have your accessory display properly for the duration of that session for that sim, but might have to redo that every time you play the household.

(I'm starting this by merging a post from another thread)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 6:31 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 14th Nov 2006 at 7:39 AM.
Pets EP - Flashing Blue Accessories
I hope this is the correct place...

In CAS, my sim looked fine with her jewelry. Then I put my Sim ingame, and her jewelry was replaced with the flashing blue shapes. If my sim went downstairs, her "blue jewelry" preceded her. When she sat, her "blue jewelry" remained elevated. If she stood up straight, the blue jewelry was in the correct place. I've included pictures. BTW, in the second pic, she is going down some steps. They also show her dog sitting in the furniture.

Additionally...
In bodyshop, glasses aren't available -- not even the Maxis ones. No goggles. Come to think of it, I don't think the goggles showed up in CAS either. I'll re-check and edit this post.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I have an ATI Sapphire Radeon X1300 series with 256Mb Memory

Darsky

Instructor
#3 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 10:57 AM
I don't own the EP, but this happened to me before with custom glasses for which I had accidentally deleted either the mesh, or the recolour (how do you tell when files aren't properly named? *sigh*) - exactly the same behaviour.

I'll still experiment with accessories I'm currently using in game to see if I can reproduce that, this should at least indicate which information the game isn't able to find.

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 5:31 PM
I get this bug mostly with ear recolors of Louis' ears and Dr. Pixel's necklace alpha mesh. I have an Nvidia 5500 Video card.
I notice it seems to happen more when I have multiple accessories on them but not always. Going into the mirror changes it for the session but coming back into the lot sets it off again.
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 6:15 PM
Okay, I did some testing with my own accessories; this happens when the game can't find the texture files.

I talked about this with Beosboxboy, who from former experience with the pre-patch Uni EP is inclined to think that it's an issue with the cataloguing engine. The game searches for the needed files in wrong locations first, then, depending on your system and... stuff, may choke and just skip them.

I'm not surprised that this happens with the Maxis googles, these don't work quite like the other glasses and I think that they need another file, or the files aren't located in the same place - oh please don't make me look, I hurt my brain with them when trying to find my own method for non-deformable accessories and was looking for hints about the "mask" thing!

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 7:08 PM
I'm haveing this problem with GeneralZoi's Trenchcoat and I use GeForce 5200FX
Maybe this affects non-deforming accesories?
Scholar
#7 Old 11th Nov 2006 at 11:21 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 11th Nov 2006 at 11:30 PM.
The "alpha jewelry" mesh is mine.

I just examined it, and there are some mistakes in the mesh file which didn't cause any problems before (and I hardly knew what I was doing at the time so I didn't catch them)

Anyway, here is what MIGHT be causing the problem - although only the "frame" group of the mesh is actually used, the "lens" group is also design-mode enabled. So, the game may be searching for it's texture - which it won't find, because it doesn't exist.

There is also mentioned in some places in the recolors a "rim" group, which doesn't exist at all in the mesh file.

I will attempt to fix this - but I'm not sure if I can do it without re-making the mesh from scratch. That isn't a good option, since there are hundreds of recolors for this mesh all over the web, and if I re-do the whole mesh none of them would work with it.

So, I will attempt to fix it as-is. If this isn't possible, the only other option would be to make and release a new, Pets-compatable, version which would require it's own, new, recolors. And the old mesh and all recolors for it would have to be considered non-Pets compatable.

===================================

Also, this fix worked for me in my game - it may or may not work for you:

* It seemed like the problem, for me, only happened with Sims who already had on the "alpha jewelry" BEFORE I installed Pets. When I wen to the lot, they would have the flashing-blue, non-moving jewelry, just like you have shown.

* I first had the Sim go "change appearance" at the mirror - there I removed all accessories by using the "no glasses" button. At this time I did NOT put any accessories back on the Sim (for reasons explained later). So, the Sim now had on NO accessories of any kind.

I now saved the lot, and quit the game.

Why did I not put any accessories back on the Sim yet? Because I have learned while testing my creations that the lots themselves seem to have some sort of "cache" attached to them, and I wanted to get rid of all traces of accessories from my Sim.

I think if you simply put back on your Sim the same thing you just took off, the game may just save the file unchanged with the same wrong information still in it... This is just a guess on my part.

Just to be completely sure everything was gone, I shut down and re-started Windows. Next time I played the game, I went back to the same lot, and put the alpha-jewelry back on the same Sim. It looked fine, of course - but the real test was that I again saved and quit the game.

Again I restarted Windows, and the game, and went back to the same lot. The jewelry was still working right.

As I said, I'm not sure if this will help everyone who is having this problem, but it's something to try.
Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 6:01 PM
Default Additional Information
More info regarding my earlier post...

I had said the glasses & goggles didn't show up in Bodyshop. NOW they do. So apparently that problem is intermittent.

The earrings I had the problem with are Sussi's. See the photo below. I couldn't tell if the necklace was part of the set (bad monitor and worse eyesight!).

However, I did as you suggested. I *changed appearance* in the mirror, and then I could see the earrings.

Problems appear to be popping up everywhere what with EA's new architecture (What I call it). I certainly hope they issue a patch. Of course, you guys will have plenty of fixes before EA does anything!

Thanks! You guys are the BEST!!!
Darsky

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 6:50 PM
I reported the problem to EA's customer support. (Does anyone ever tell them in CS reports or post where they monitor the most that these problems exist, at all? Or do people just fix them on their own?)
They suggested to me to move the family out of it's house that's bugged with this problem. I tried it and it did no good as soon as they got into their house they started blue-flashing again.
They also suggested to disable custom content which is pointless since some of it's custom content that's causing the trouble and the usual "update your drivers" thing.
I also notice that it isn't just Dr. Pixel's stuff. Aikea Guinea's necklaces give me problems, as do G3tbo's necklaces and jewelry. All recolors.
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 8:34 PM
Have you tried Dr. Pixel's fix above? (removing glasses and saving without them. restarting your computer and starting the game up again.) Then you may be able to reapply any accessories, and save without having the flashing blue objects.

I never even bother asking EA for help anymore. All I've ever gotten is a generic response which usually includes uninstalling and reinstalling them game, lol.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 9:20 PM
FurryJackal - this is a problem with USER MADE items only. Reporting it to Maxis is close to pointless. They cannot (and no one would!) support or debug things for items _they did not make_.

One of the other display issues - the one that shows up with Maxis glasses, that is a program problem, and I reported it. This issue - this is an issue only with 'our' content, and the files might need changes in order to become fully compatible with pets. To add to the confusion, it doesn't always happen - my game so far have not demonstrated the problem. Not my old sims who were wearing dr pixel's necklace when we installed pets or my new ones that I just tested on. Tried the elf ears and bobl's backpack and my hat. I don't get flashing blue anything.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Scholar
#12 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
FurryJackal - this is a problem with USER MADE items only. Reporting it to Maxis is close to pointless. They cannot (and no one would!) support or debug things for items _they did not make_.

I have the problem with the standard maxis vampire teeth as well as some (not all) custom content.
The grand vampire himself had blue flashing teeth that poppes out of his moth when he moves his head around. This is the one automatically generated by the game: guaranteed no CC.

"Even the computer industry failed to see the importance of the Internet, but that's not saying much. Let's face it, the computer industry failed to see that the century would end." - Douglas Adams
Instructor
#13 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 2:19 AM
I have a solution similar to Dr Pixel's, but I'm not sure if it works just because I'm lucky.

Instead of quitting the game and restarting, I made my Sims change into their PJs (because they don't wear any accessories when they're in PJ-form), logged back to the neighbourhood, went back into the game, and changed their outfit to Everyday.

The blue thing should be permanently fixed for that lot. Again, I'm not sure if this is actually a solution, but I'm testing it out.
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 4:24 AM
Default Fixed (I hope) Alpha Jewelry Mesh
The jewelry you all are showing uses my Alpha Jewelry mesh - the mesh itself has both the necklace and ear-rings included, but when people make jewelry textures for it they can hide the ear-rings, or the necklace, or have both showing - that's why you are seeing all the parts flashing blue, even if your Sim was only "wearing" ear-rings, or just a necklace.

Anyway, I updated the mesh to get rid of the un-needed references to un-used textures. I hope this will fix the problem - please test it and let me know. It works fine for me, in my game with Pets installed, in the Base game, and also in Numenor's Legacy BodyShop.

Use the mesh included to replace your existing one. Any recolors for the old mesh will continue to work with the new version. You should also now see a new recolor for it - a pair of ear-rings and a necklace, all with the Pets logo.

NOTE: Be sure this mesh replaces your existing one - if Windows doesn't ask if you want to replace the existing file you may have put it into a different folder, so be absolutely sure that the old version of the mesh has been removed.

If your Sim is already wearing the jewelry, and it is flashing blue, remove it from your Sim and save the lot with your Sim wearing no jewelry first, as is explained above.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  BlarneyAlphaJewelryTest.zip (65.5 KB, 323 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum

One of the other display issues - the one that shows up with Maxis glasses, that is a program problem, and I reported it. This issue - this is an issue only with 'our' content, and the files might need changes in order to become fully compatible with pets. To add to the confusion, it doesn't always happen - my game so far have not demonstrated the problem. Not my old sims who were wearing dr pixel's necklace when we installed pets or my new ones that I just tested on. Tried the elf ears and bobl's backpack and my hat. I don't get flashing blue anything.

Ah okay. I thought it was Maxis as well, as many were reporting the vampire teeth wigging all over, too. I have tried to the point of exhaustion the remove, close down, reboot computer and it seems to just keep coming back. I tend to get it with Louis' ears, Zoi's ears, Aikea Guinea's rings, sometimes Dr. Pixel's male and female necklaces... I'm kind of wondering if it's related to having multiple accessories on. I am going to test this theory, next.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
The jewelry you all are showing uses my Alpha Jewelry mesh - the mesh itself has both the necklace and ear-rings included, but when people make jewelry textures for it they can hide the ear-rings, or the necklace, or have both showing - that's why you are seeing all the parts flashing blue, even if your Sim was only "wearing" ear-rings, or just a necklace.

Anyway, I updated the mesh to get rid of the un-needed references to un-used textures. I hope this will fix the problem - please test it and let me know. It works fine for me, in my game with Pets installed, in the Base game, and also in Numenor's Legacy BodyShop.

Use the mesh included to replace your existing one. Any recolors for the old mesh will continue to work with the new version. You should also now see a new recolor for it - a pair of ear-rings and a necklace, all with the Pets logo.

NOTE: Be sure this mesh replaces your existing one - if Windows doesn't ask if you want to replace the existing file you may have put it into a different folder, so be absolutely sure that the old version of the mesh has been removed.

If your Sim is already wearing the jewelry, and it is flashing blue, remove it from your Sim and save the lot with your Sim wearing no jewelry first, as is explained above.

Does that include the male Alpha necklace, Dr. Pixel? I see it with that just as much as my girls.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 12:25 AM
Okay, this'll bake everyone's noodles. Testing: I removed all of my downloads save for my accessories. Started off with Zoi's ears, Aikea Guinea's rings, some nose piercings from MTS, Dr. Pixel's necklace for men and the ears went blue. This was direct out of CAS.

So I removed it all. Changed my ears to Louis' ears on. shut down, came back. No flashing. Shut down, restarted. Added wings. Shut down.. etc, no flashing. Added a necklace, still no flashing on restart.

Put back on Zoi's ears (removed other ears), kept all the other accessories on, no flashing. I have no idea what this means but feel free to use it for your own information gathering.

This was on a male sim, if that matters for anything.
Scholar
#18 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 3:20 AM
This is interesting, maybe you have the right idea about the multiple accessories, rather than it being anything in particular about the accessory itself.

I'll have to do some testing from that angle...

Oh, and the "fixed" mesh posted here is just the female one that is on my Blarneystone website, the one that has ear-rings and necklace mesh combined into one.

It has nothing to do with the male's mesh, or with either of the separate female ear-ring only and necklace-only meshes I made.

This is the only one I had seen people having a problem with.

If it does work better I will re-do those also - but from your description it now seems like it may be an in-game-problem rather than really related to any particular accessory.
Instructor
#19 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 6:02 AM
I had the flashing blue problem with Dr. Pixel's alpha jewellry at first. Since that I disabled the Grand Trianon furniture and updated the drivers for my video card (GeForce4 Ti 4600 128Mb). After that the flashing thing seems to have stopped. However I will download the newer version to test it out.

As for redoing the mesh, so long as it has the same GUID and texture map the recolors should work for it. I found that out when creating a bed yesterday.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
This is interesting, maybe you have the right idea about the multiple accessories, rather than it being anything in particular about the accessory itself.

I'll have to do some testing from that angle...

Oh, and the "fixed" mesh posted here is just the female one that is on my Blarneystone website, the one that has ear-rings and necklace mesh combined into one.

It has nothing to do with the male's mesh, or with either of the separate female ear-ring only and necklace-only meshes I made.

This is the only one I had seen people having a problem with.

If it does work better I will re-do those also - but from your description it now seems like it may be an in-game-problem rather than really related to any particular accessory.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that would be helpful or not, but I noticed that another household I had one Sim only had ears and a necklace on, the other had a huge pile of jewelry and he's the one that flashes. It may be coincidence, I don't know, but it's worth investigating, I suppose.

Oh, and yeah, I get the problem with your male necklace as well as Aikea Guineas three strand one. It's very, very random, though. Sometimes they don't flash at all.
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Nov 2006 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryJackal
Yeah, I wasn't sure if that would be helpful or not, but I noticed that another household I had one Sim only had ears and a necklace on, the other had a huge pile of jewelry and he's the one that flashes. It may be coincidence, I don't know, but it's worth investigating, I suppose.

Oh, and yeah, I get the problem with your male necklace as well as Aikea Guineas three strand one. It's very, very random, though. Sometimes they don't flash at all.

This is the same thing that happened to me - I did have one of my oen necklace meshes flash blue once - but it wasn't on the first visit to that lot after installing Pets. And then I did that "change appearance" fix, and it never happened again so I thought that had fixed it.

If it really was the mesh, or it's recolors, it would happen all the time. I have had flashing blue objects and accessories before, but always because a recolor was missing - and it didn't stop until I found the missing file and replaced it into the game. This randomness makes it seem more like a glitch it the game itself.

Come to think of it, I have had random other things appear and disappear sometimes - for example sometimes the pie menus for a dresser show all the clothing options correctly, sometimes my Sim doesn't get all options - like Change into Swimwear might be missing one time, but back again next time I play.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Nov 2006 at 5:18 PM
Dr Pixel, I'm still having blue flashyness with the new mesh.
It's a maxis problem; I suggest they fix it.

"Even the computer industry failed to see the importance of the Internet, but that's not saying much. Let's face it, the computer industry failed to see that the century would end." - Douglas Adams
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwillewyn
Dr Pixel, I'm still having blue flashyness with the new mesh.
It's a maxis problem; I suggest they fix it.

If you saw the round and round I am going through with their customer service reps over things like fish being missing out of the tank since Open for Business/Glamour Life and to a lesser degree the flashing blue, you'd see they won't own up to it being their problem. Noosiiiiiree. It couldn't possibly be that their game might, in fact, have bugs in it. I get so tired of that sort of crud!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 11:38 PM
This is the one I'm having problems with
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=150058
I really want to use it but it had the same problem...can someone help me?

I'm not crazy...I'm "mentally happy"...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 12:18 AM
Zggs3, we haven't solved this problem, it seems to be an odd pets bug that only happens sometimes. If the instructions in this thread don't help, we can't help.

Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: old info, no further discussion necessary
Page 1 of 2