Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 11:03 AM
Default [ASK] Plaint White/Gray Texture using the s3pe?
Hi guys, I am using S3PE to export textures, but I have problem with it
Why is all the texture are white/gray, instead of the texture use its original color

this is how the hat color supposed to be look like, see the hat has black color and white color too

but in the S3PE the image just all plaint white/gray, there're total 4 image in the package, but none of it look like the original hat color

and when I export the geom and import the mesh to blender and use the texture, the hat color is white/gray, it totaly look different from the orignal hat (white and black)

So what is the problem why the texture look like that, maybe I make some mistake when I export the texture, any help guys?
I've attached the file too
Any help would really be appriciated
Thanks
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Captain`s hat for male and female by Dasha Kirilova.zip (941.3 KB, 49 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:19 PM
I guess you're new to texturing for the sims 3 I guess? But that's totally fine! ^-^ Anyway, the grey layer is a 'multiplier map' which I usually translate in my head as the 'diffuse map'. Now for 3D modelers who wanted to try doing stuff for the sims 3, the sims 3's textures are very new, as they were new to me. You would expect the Mask (With the red, green, blue) to be a specular map of some sort, which it is not. So let me order them with the right information so it's easier to follow:

Multiplier map: grey-looking texture map.
Mask: Red, green, blue texture map.
Overlay: Pieces of colored. (With the icon)
Specular: Could be gray too, but is usually black, or has a black background. (I'm not sure if that one is in your package file, but it should.)

But what is the purpose of the multiplier? It's grey because else you can't recolour it. The mask is a texture that shows how many channels there are that can recolour it. (if you're familiar with the in-game custom colour chancing, where you can even those a duck pattern on the hat). So these 2 textures are basically for this function. If it was coloured, it wouldn't have been possible to do this.
Now, what are the overlay and the specular maps for? Specular maps actually controls on how shiny the hat will be in game. If your specular is grey-coloured or very light, it's probably shining a loooot. If it's darker (or nearly black) there won't be much shine.
And at last, the overlay texture, this one is a texture that can't be recoloured and usually is all coloured in game, whenever you try to recolour it or not, it will stay the same.

If you want to export them, I would recommend using the Nvidia DDS plugin for Photoshop. (there is a GIMP one out there too but I'm not sure if that one is working correctly). This is the way you should export them in whatever edit:

Multiplier: DXT5 (if there is transparency in the background, or applied with an alpha channel) DXT1 if there is no transparency
Mask: DXT1 when there are 2 channels (colours). DXT5 if there is a fouth channel (Which has to be applied in the alpha channel.)
Overlay: DXT5
Specular: DXT1 for CASparts/clothing, DXT5 for objects (Due the specular map working with alpha channels which Casparts don't)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:57 PM
Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation and you're right, I'm pretty new with sims3 modding,
Btw, I want to convert this hat to the sims2, that's why I need the texture color to be exactly same as the original color in my previous picture no1,
because Sims2 don't have this color mechanism.

1. Regarding your explanation about the multiplier map, so that means the game itself is the one that give the color to the hat, is it correct?
2. So that means there's no colored texture for the hat?
3. And that means I must recolor it manually using photoshop by using Multiplier map & overlay it with Mask map?
4. Are there any easier method to achive this colored texture, other than recoloring it manually?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yohanc
1. Regarding your explanation about the multiplier map, so that means the game itself is the one that give the color to the hat, is it correct?

Actually, you have to do this manually. That's why I added the way you need to export them (DXT5, DXT1, etc)

Quote:
2. So that means there's no colored texture for the hat?

Nope, not like the sims 2 and the sims 4. The sims 3 doesn't know the term 'recolouring' like ts2 and ts4 do know. It should be greyscaled so you can edit it in Create - a - style.

Quote:
3. And that means I must recolor it manually using photoshop by using Multiplier map & overlay it with Mask map?

No these should be seperated textures. The game does this, so there is no need to do this in Photoshop.

Quote:
4. Are there any easier method to achive this colored texture, other than recoloring it manually?

Again, this is how the sims 3 copes with being able to change colours in-game by editing it within Create-a-style. So recolouring doesn't exists in ts3 like it does in ts2 and ts4.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 6:19 PM
Okay, thanks for the explanation