Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 7:42 PM
Default Custom world - what do you want?
So I've been playing with world building for years, but I always get lost and lose momentum on my projects. I need some ideas - what do y'all want to see? What hasn't been done (or done well)? I do tend to build realistic worlds (not fantasy, sci-fi, etc.). I've looked through the world ideas list on here, but most of those posts are so old I don't know if they're even still relevant. Someone please give me some ideas!! lol.

My current project is an idyllic hill country Texas town (yet unnamed) with main street-ish area and master-planned community subdivisions. But I feel myself losing steam on it.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 2:58 PM
Personally, I'd love to see a version of London (UK), as in a mixture of old and new architecture pile in together...or maybe just Camden (a district of london), It's a little haven of wierdness.
#3 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 5:46 PM
I've been trying to make Mars. Steal the dome from Landgraab industries in Springville, make buildings underground to avoid cosmic radiation, "outdoor" outfits would include space suits with bubble helmets so that when a sim goes "outside" they go into outdoor garb, make a tomb out of the face pyramid and all that.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 6:12 PM
What I would love is a medium to large world with all the landscapes and styles - but distinct and organised:
A mountain, with all the metal and gem spawners - because lets face it, you don't find metals lying around when you take a walk in the city. Maybe a couple of villages on the mountain too.
Then, a Venice/London/European style city. maybe a beach somewhere nearby. Or a port.
Then, drive a little bit further and then you see the Big City. LA style.
Maybe a couple of islands , if you take the ferry, greek islands, or tropical islands. that's where all the fish spawners are!
And somewhere you maybe leave a space for an archaeological site, with all the dig spawners. maybe a desert, near a tropical beach.

Now, I have been looking for a thread because I have been trying to create this world and it is full of bugs, I can't seem to be able to create a world with no problems -loading issues, routing issues, never being able to create more than 5-6 lots in eig without the system crashing

If you are interested I have the map- so empty and full of errors- but I am giving it away if you think it is something you might like spending some time with!
Screenshots

Hoard - Collect - File - Index
Catalog-Preserve-Amass-Index
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 6:30 PM
Well, I'm about to attempt to create a world based on where I grew up. Maybe you could do your own take? Look up LeFlore County, Oklahoma. Tons of hills, caves, springs, creeks and rivers. Very beautiful area.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 9:32 PM
I'd love to see Glasgow made but the hill situation in the city centre might be unreasonably difficult to build. I may try it sometime, all the same!
Test Subject
#7 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 12:43 AM
The neighborhood I need is actually very simple, what I want is sort of a combination of the four pre-existing world layouts, a mixture of quiet neighborhood like Sunset Valley, a large metropolitan area similar to Bridgeport, some wide-open range off to one side for ranch and farmland, with a little open ocean and scattered islands to ring in the Isla Paradisio feeling. the City of Jericho, as awe-inspiring as it is, made one crucial mistake for me, they used far too many small, custom sized lots. I have spent ages building every lot in Sunset Valley by hand, and though I would love to switch to Jericho, I am not willing to let go of all of the lots I have spent so long perfecting and am certainly not okay with using so many exclusively tiny lots. If someone would make a neighborhood with the raw grit and uniqueness as Jericho yet have a decently sized space set aside for custom homes, sort of like adding Sunset to Jericho, that would simply make my game perfect.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st May 2015 at 3:37 AM
I agree with Rabidartist87. I really like worlds where there is a bit of everything. My all time favorite world is St. Claire, by Awesims. Unfortunately, the creator no longer makes sims items or worlds (a great loss ( ). I've been hunting so long for a world updated for all EPs that is like St. Claire, with distinct "neighborhoods". They really are rare. Some creators excel at gritty urban worlds and some at sprawling rural or suburban landscapes but it's rare to see a well crafted world with the qualities of both. Because my hunt has failed, so far, I've been planning my own custom world to satisfy my whims (it's a long process though, just the planning, let alone the CAW work and I admit that I really really dislike the topo tools).

Also, I love the idea of a Mediterranean inspired world with beautiful coasts, citrus groves, marinas full of boats, and colorful houses nestled in the hills. Or a sultry and mysterious Southern town with the flavors of old New Orleans, complete with hot, misty weather, colorful traditional architecture, and magic (voodoo!).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th May 2015 at 10:41 PM
New York City and the beach with a Boardwalk and a show venue. Someone already made NYC but it was more rabbit hole buildings then anything and it was barely populated. So I would like a cleaner more organized version. ANNNND LONDON!!
Space Pony
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 5:45 PM
If it helps spawn ideas I'm making a world based off Greek Mythology for he lots. The landscape is cross between, the Pacific Northwest and Ireland. Though the rocks and beaches are a bit brighter more Islandy. I'm also insuring their is plenty to do, I've got a few bars, the normal rabbit holes and community lots. I've also got community lots and rabbit holes from the EP's and store stuff I have, as well as on lots such as the junkyard, I've placed the metal workshops and such so you don't have to own the benches, ect to build skills.
Scholar
#11 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 8:01 PM
I don't have all the expansion packs so I've been looking for a world that doesn't require Showtime, Supernatural, Island Paradise, or Into the Future. Clearly pople are going to make the worlds they can use themselves, though.

But the thing that I notice in the EA worlds: unroutable terrain in the middle of the map. Why do they do that! I need large enough flat areas lining the roads so I can place lots. You can get a hilly effect by ringing the outside with hills. Also, flat terraces that rise from the shore in swooping stepwise layers will be buildable and visually interesting at the same time, and the illusion of hilliness can be enhanced with terrain paints. I don't need or want a huge number of premade buildings--just enough to get started and establish the feel of the world--and I do want a lot of buildable space and room to place lots that I choose.

Another concern is travel time. It really shouldn't take from sunup to noon to get to the bookstore, festival park, or fishing spot. So a nicely designed set of roads is good. And maybe watch so that sims who start out jogging to a venue don't have to get into and out of taxis at various places, or if they take a taxi to a rabbithole, they don't have to get out and walk? It makes some sense to get out and walk to a fishing spot, though.

I love it when rabbitholes are paired with venues.

As for themes, I am fond of small cities that are the market town or industrial district for a rural area. My favorite places to represent (in Sims 2, I haven't done it yet in Sims 3) are small coastal California cow and surf towns and East/Central European towns. I like the look of Reyes County, for example, but it has requirements I can't meet. Oh, let me add: one of the things I like about it is the yellow grass. Because to me, a relentlessly green world looks like a fairy tale, and while I do enjoy that sometimes, it would be nice to see a more familiar one sometimes!

I'm an agnostic about populated vs. unpopulated. Though if populated, it would be nice if the population isn't too huge.